Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #600 on: February 07, 2018, 03:38:04 PM »
...mangling single cycle (600 samples at 44.1 kHz mono WAV format) wave forms on my Akai S5000. On the Akai it is possible to...

I think there is a perception that because modern computers are so much more powerful than the 80s/90s, that modern samplers are just as good.  But IMO a lot of the architecture of those old Akais, Emus and Ensoniqs hasn't really been repeated in software, and certainly not with the kind of poly aftertouch that made things like the EPS16+ such an expressive instrument.

I would love to see Dave pull something together like those, and maybe blend it with an Evolver or VS.

Shaw

« Reply #601 on: February 07, 2018, 06:34:54 PM »
I really do like Nord Synths...shame they are so focused on stage pianos/organs. I think they could be killing it in the digital synth department. Stuff like the Wave and G2 are so unique. Shame the Lead stuff is so expensive...especially since it's VA. Hard for me to justify it.
If you’re talking the Nord Lead 4 or A1, yeah, over-priced.  But you can pick up a Wave or Nord Lead 3 at a decent price.  I actually prefer the NL3 over the NL4 anyway. 
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #602 on: February 07, 2018, 07:48:57 PM »
...mangling single cycle (600 samples at 44.1 kHz mono WAV format) wave forms on my Akai S5000. On the Akai it is possible to...

I think there is a perception that because modern computers are so much more powerful than the 80s/90s, that modern samplers are just as good.  But IMO a lot of the architecture of those old Akais, Emus and Ensoniqs hasn't really been repeated in software, and certainly not with the kind of poly aftertouch that made things like the EPS16+ such an expressive instrument.

I would love to see Dave pull something together like those, and maybe blend it with an Evolver or VS.

Agree 100%

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #603 on: February 09, 2018, 02:58:18 AM »

Totally agree, especially if you also consider the workflow.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

dsetto

« Reply #604 on: February 27, 2018, 06:42:19 AM »
I too would be intrigued by a DSI sampler. Can someone expand upon what was compelling about those old early samplers? I have no experience with them.

-
My notions would be:
- Lo-fi sound
- analog filters
- synthesis programming
- immediate all-in-one sampling workflow

dsetto

« Reply #605 on: February 27, 2018, 07:08:08 AM »
What I would enjoy:
A sampler with instant or peri-instant control of
- sample start
- sample end. Can be as short as a wave cycle.
- loop on/off. Repeat #
- Reverse. Perhaps applicable to selected portions
- Ability to quickly append a few samples into a composite "wave". With flexible selection of component wave sections. (Attack of one, sustain of other). With cross-fade controls. (Maybe 16-32 total "slots".)

I.e., an instrument dedicated to sampling. Via analog filters. Terrific knob-button laden UI.
With characteristically thoughtful DSI-style programming features. Like found on Rev2 or P12.
- parameter sequencer
- performance sequencer
- Delay play
- And LFO's
Always fun!

---
RAM vs flash rom workflow/costs. Enough (but not too much) of both. This is one of the tough spots about this endeavor. Memory size & kind is a fundamental cost question. What are sweet spots for RAM (for editing) and Flash Rom for quick-access playback. This is the topic that will garner such complaints from the clueless- making useless comparisons to computer based systems. I admire makers who have the stomach for that vitriol.
--
The other tough thing:
-- DSP/coding that's responsive for that level of complexity
-- screen. Which way is enough for flow, and not too much. I would think a simple LCD/OLED style screen will suffice. It can't have it all and match price point, development, and workflow needs for a wide enough market.

It's so much easier to write a forum post. My hats off to successful designers who succeed off their designs!!!

---

Personal Requirement:
Key onset-to-sound latency has to be less than 1/3 ms.

« Reply #606 on: February 27, 2018, 07:52:29 AM »
I too would be intrigued by a DSI sampler. Can someone expand upon what was compelling about those old early samplers? I have no experience with them.

-
My notions would be:
- Lo-fi sound
- analog filters
- synthesis programming

The compelling aspect would be mostly the latter for those who prefer to process their samples with dedicated hardware instead of computers, although you'd mostly end up with a computer in a different chassis in the end plus dedicated controllers and maybe analog components like filters and VCAs. The latter two ingredients and workflow would basically be the only aspects that could legitimate such an endeavour.

No matter how you go about it, a hardware sampler in 2018 would have to live up to the expectations and the possibilities of according software solutions. So what you wrote in your follow-up post and granular synthesis options would have to be the minimum requirements—that, and probably live looping options like on Elektron's Octatrack. And a huge display for easy visualized sample manipulation in real time, like the GR-1 by Tasty Chips provides for example.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:54:51 AM by Paul Dither »

LoboLives

« Reply #607 on: February 27, 2018, 01:54:36 PM »
I'd actually like to see a small 8 track on board sequencer as well if they are going to go the sampling route.

dsetto

« Reply #608 on: February 27, 2018, 07:05:34 PM »
Nice. I would enjoy an 8-track sequencer on any DSI keyboard.

« Reply #609 on: March 01, 2018, 10:20:47 AM »

-
My notions would be:
- Lo-fi sound
- analog filters
- synthesis programming

Those things, but also my EPS16+ has very useable polyphonic aftertouch, and with creative routings (xstart and loop position for example) to aftertouch and the mod wheel, it creates a level of expressiveness AND control that I've never experienced any other way.  So part of it is the sample manipulation capabilities they programmed in, where a lot of other samplers might do repeats or other things that are more beat oriented.

LoboLives

« Reply #610 on: March 01, 2018, 06:21:07 PM »
Nice. I would enjoy an 8-track sequencer on any DSI keyboard.

I know a lot of keyboards are getting away from on board sequencers but I think for a sampler there’s no reason why you can’t include even a small one.

dsetto

« Reply #611 on: March 01, 2018, 08:46:00 PM »
EPS16+ sounds amazing with deep programming/performance modulation connected to sample manipulation.

LoboLives

« Reply #612 on: March 02, 2018, 11:55:55 AM »
What about MPE? Seems like there are mixed feelings about this. Personally speaking, I think if MPE were implemented it would be better with piano action keys like the Synclavier, CS-80 or Prophet T8. I think synth action keys would be awkward and too easy to misplay articulations.

Also I would really like to see a touch strip across the synth as opposed to on the pitch/mod wheel side like the Prophet 12.

I think that would be the only real mindblowing thing they could do in the analog realm. Other than Multitimbrality of course which I doubt we'll ever see again.

« Reply #613 on: March 02, 2018, 12:55:01 PM »
MPE makes mostly sense on the side of MIDI implementation. No-one would expect DSI to come up with their own MPE controller attached to a synth, as there are already some alternatives to choose from. Besides, any sort of standard keyboard is too primitive if you wanna make full use of MPE. Even if a keyboard would allow for polyphonic aftertouch, that would only cover one aspect of possible articulations via MPE.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #614 on: April 10, 2018, 08:53:45 AM »
It may be nothing more than a little spring cleaning, but I noticed that Sweetwater has reduced the price of the OB-6 Keyboard to $2,700.  In anticipation of a new instrument from DSI - and possibly one of flagship caliber - I would expect the elimination of something from the current DSI line.  It will likely be the Prophet 12, or perhaps not.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 09:12:31 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #615 on: April 10, 2018, 11:33:04 AM »
Another "flagship"   Umnn...hopefully not until my GC credit card zeros out next year.  I can't keep up with these guys  ;)

In all seriousness,  I can avoid the GAS,  unless it's going to be a PEK remake.    By the way....Just got to the PEK for a few minutes yesterday after a month away from it.  Whether it be nostalgia or just that darn blue I like, but I feel so at home on that instrument. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #616 on: April 10, 2018, 12:22:48 PM »
It may be nothing more than a little spring cleaning, but I noticed that Sweetwater has reduced the price of the OB-6 Keyboard to $2,700.

That looks like it's for an open-box/B-stock unit, I wouldn't read too much into it  ;)
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #617 on: April 10, 2018, 01:18:44 PM »
Yeah, I suppose that's the case.  It says both "new" and "like new".  Rats.  I thought I was on to something.  I guess I'm looking for hints of things to come.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 01:20:30 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #618 on: April 10, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »
Another "flagship"   Umnn...hopefully not until my GC credit card zeros out next year.  I can't keep up with these guys  ;)

In all seriousness,  I can avoid the GAS,  unless it's going to be a PEK remake.    By the way....Just got to the PEK for a few minutes yesterday after a month away from it.  Whether it be nostalgia or just that darn blue I like, but I feel so at home on that instrument.

Hey, Soundquest.  With a Poly Evolver Keyboard and a brand new Prophet 12, you should be immune to GAS for some time.

« Reply #619 on: April 13, 2018, 12:24:30 PM »
Good point Sacred Synthesis :)
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1