The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New Sequential Instrument
« Reply #1680 on: August 23, 2021, 01:01:58 PM »
There is a new Take 5 section, so let's move the discussion over there.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/board,45.0.html
"Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!"

- Henry David Thoreau

The Musical Synthesizer YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChLGwGiRVs7rlZXnOG9_mUw

The Musical Synthesizer Blog: https://themusicalsynthesizer.wordpress.com

LPF83

« Reply #1681 on: September 26, 2021, 10:34:18 AM »
I'm adjusting my prediction for the next Sequential product announcement.  Until recently, I was predicting it is an OB-X reissue (but that prediction was only due to the trademark registration by Sequential earlier this year).  I now have reason to believe it will be an OB-Xa.  I can't reveal exactly why the change in prediction without putting someone else on the spot, I will just say that if you follow enough people on Youtube, certain clues tend to reveal themselves like hidden gems.

It is also very possible that it is switchable between OBX/OBX-A modes, much like Rev 1/2 and 3 filters on the Rev4.

Prophet 10, Prophet 6, OB-6, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland SPD-30, Roland SPD-SX Special Edition, Roland KT-10, Maschine, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen + Octopre, Strymon Pedals, Cubase Pro 11.

CCrow

« Reply #1682 on: September 26, 2021, 11:10:38 AM »
I'm adjusting my prediction for the next Sequential product announcement.  Until recently, I was predicting it is an OB-X reissue (but that prediction was only due to the trademark registration by Sequential earlier this year).  I now have reason to believe it will be an OB-Xa.  I can't reveal exactly why the change in prediction without putting someone else on the spot, I will just say that if you follow enough people on Youtube, certain clues tend to reveal themselves like hidden gems.

It is also very possible that it is switchable between OBX/OBX-A modes, much like Rev 1/2 and 3 filters on the Rev4.

I really hope either part of this is true. I personally prefer the Xa's filter from the demos I have heard, but both would really be a dream instrument. I am unsure if they would be willing to have 3 filter options though: X, Xa 12dB, and Xa 24dB

LPF83

« Reply #1683 on: September 27, 2021, 05:02:11 AM »
So here are some questions for those who would designate themselves as potential buyers for an OB-x/xa.

1.  If offered in both original form factor keyboard and desktop, would you get the keyboard?   I think the original needed to be huge in order to cope with heat issues and there aren't enough knobs to justify the size these days.  The P10 is different in my mind, because the lovely walnut box adds to the experience.  I think I'd be more than content with a module for an OBX/a, particularly due to space requirements in my studio room.

2.  How many voices would you need?   I would want 8, with the ability to limit to lower polyphony count, and also the ability to split.   

3.  What would be your highest priority feature on such a product?   For me it would be dual filter types (SEM and Curtis) with 2/4 pole on the Curtis.  It also probably goes without saying that it needs to not be a maintenance nightmare like the original supposedly is, with regard to tuning.
Prophet 10, Prophet 6, OB-6, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland SPD-30, Roland SPD-SX Special Edition, Roland KT-10, Maschine, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen + Octopre, Strymon Pedals, Cubase Pro 11.

CCrow

« Reply #1684 on: October 01, 2021, 09:21:57 PM »
So here are some questions for those who would designate themselves as potential buyers for an OB-x/xa.

1.  If offered in both original form factor keyboard and desktop, would you get the keyboard?   I think the original needed to be huge in order to cope with heat issues and there aren't enough knobs to justify the size these days.  The P10 is different in my mind, because the lovely walnut box adds to the experience.  I think I'd be more than content with a module for an OBX/a, particularly due to space requirements in my studio room.

2.  How many voices would you need?   I would want 8, with the ability to limit to lower polyphony count, and also the ability to split.   

3.  What would be your highest priority feature on such a product?   For me it would be dual filter types (SEM and Curtis) with 2/4 pole on the Curtis.  It also probably goes without saying that it needs to not be a maintenance nightmare like the original supposedly is, with regard to tuning.

1. I would get the desktop for both cost and size constraints

2. 8 Voices is what I would want as well

3. My highest priorities would be more filter flexibility like what you mentioned or something similar, as well as that sweet vintage knob. A nice thing to have would be easy stereo panning of the voices