Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New Sequential Instrument
« Reply #1660 on: May 11, 2021, 07:53:20 PM »
So Dave said it's likely going to be two products this year.

My money is still on an OBX which just seems obvious at this point (Tom is desperate to use the trademark on a product, lots of videos coming out on youtube about the OBX and in general people demanding more reissues)-Not my thing at all but whatever.

The second is likely going to be something small. My hope is for a Mophox4 successor. Just a small four voice polyphonic synth with a simple architecture. Likely DCO based, monotimbral, single effect engine, arpeggiator and step sequencer, patch memory and that's it. Nothing fancy but it would be nice to see Sequential do a synth under $1000USD made in the USA. I think that it's a category that's missing from their current lineup. It would be an excellent tool for musicians who are primarily playing another instrument (ala guitar, piano) and just need to play a few chords on a poly synth next to them and it would also be a great learning tool for beginners looking at getting their first poly synth. I doubt it will happen but fingers crossed.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1661 on: May 11, 2021, 08:03:42 PM »

The second is likely going to be something small. My hope is for a Mophox4 successor. Just a small four voice polyphonic synth with a simple architecture. Likely DCO based, monotimbral, single effect engine, arpeggiator and step sequencer, patch memory and that's it. Nothing fancy but it would be nice to see Sequential do a synth under $1000USD made in the USA.

I would be thrilled with such an instrument, something of a familiar design (Rev2-based) and less likely to be afflicted with loads of software problems.  The main issue for me would be - as always - the length of the keyboard.  I think four octaves is an excellent size for such a synthesizer, or at the very least, 3 1/2.  I agree, it would be refreshing if Sequential were to revisit the older days when it produced smaller, simpler, and more modestly priced instruments.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:06:56 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #1662 on: May 12, 2021, 04:51:01 AM »

The second is likely going to be something small. My hope is for a Mophox4 successor. Just a small four voice polyphonic synth with a simple architecture. Likely DCO based, monotimbral, single effect engine, arpeggiator and step sequencer, patch memory and that's it. Nothing fancy but it would be nice to see Sequential do a synth under $1000USD made in the USA.

I would be thrilled with such an instrument, something of a familiar design (Rev2-based) and less likely to be afflicted with loads of software problems.  The main issue for me would be - as always - the length of the keyboard.  I think four octaves is an excellent size for such a synthesizer, or at the very least, 3 1/2.  I agree, it would be refreshing if Sequential were to revisit the older days when it produced smaller, simpler, and more modestly priced instruments.

I think if such an instrument does happen, it'll be the same keyboard length as the original Mophox4 as to avoid conflicting with the P6 and OB6.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1663 on: May 12, 2021, 01:03:58 PM »
I agree.

« Reply #1664 on: May 14, 2021, 10:05:17 AM »
Nope,  it's gonna be a PEK re issue.   Think positive ;)
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #1665 on: May 14, 2021, 11:02:12 AM »
Nope,  it's gonna be a PEK re issue.   Think positive ;)

Eww. I'd rather a PEK successor.

« Reply #1666 on: May 17, 2021, 10:30:41 AM »
Yeah, that's kinda what I meant.  Like a PEK "REV"
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

« Reply #1667 on: July 23, 2021, 09:14:19 AM »
The longer we wait for the next announcement the closer we get, I guess. ;)

« Reply #1668 on: July 23, 2021, 10:57:58 AM »
The longer we wait for the next announcement the closer we get, I guess. ;)

Meh, I'm in no rush. Absolute 0 interest in an OBX and it'll depend on what a Take 5 is.

« Reply #1669 on: July 23, 2021, 01:00:04 PM »
Isn't there like a candy bar called "take 5"  ;).   

I think my OB6 has that OBX ground covered close enough, but we'll see.  Might be some neat icing put on that cake.

During the past year I've seriously considered the UDO Super 6, as I thought it sounded great, but none were to be had.   Then I started reading about the voice drop  issues they had.  Then, with it lacking a LCD, and not knowing patch level settings easily, it was a bit pricy for me, so decided to pass.  Polybrute was even on my radar for a bit.  I just liked the matrix concept.  Looks like a fun instrument, but after serious consideration figured it didn't bring me anything new.   So I ended up pacifying myself with the Hydrasynth, which was really a nice buy for the price and something different.   

Really I'd love to see Sequential make something I could call my new flag ship big-board in the next year or so.   After experimenting with enough synths I'm at the point now where it needs to be different and yet intuitive.  I'm sure they have something up their sleeve.   I will always cheer for the PEK concept, but specifically sequencer enhanced.  Those whom use the Soundtower editor on PEK for the sequencer will know what I mean.  If those kinds of features could be put into a hardware synth/sequencer, where no computer would be needed.  (Maybe like a matrix layout for the sequencer with all those options) then also an A and B layer like on REV2.  Now that would be great.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 01:02:04 PM by Soundquest »

LPF83

« Reply #1670 on: July 23, 2021, 01:53:50 PM »

I think my OB6 has that OBX ground covered close enough, but we'll see.  Might be some neat icing put on that cake.

During the past year I've seriously considered the UDO Super 6, as I thought it sounded great, but none were to be had.   Then I started reading about the voice drop  issues they had.  Then, with it lacking a LCD, and not knowing patch level settings easily, it was a bit pricy for me, so decided to pass.  Polybrute was even on my radar for a bit.  I just liked the matrix concept.  Looks like a fun instrument, but after serious consideration figured it didn't bring me anything new.   So I ended up pacifying myself with the Hydrasynth, which was really a nice buy for the price and something different.   

Really I'd love to see Sequential make something I could call my new flag ship big-board in the next year or so.   After experimenting with enough synths I'm at the point now where it needs to be different and yet intuitive.  I'm sure they have something up their sleeve.   I will always cheer for the PEK concept, but specifically sequencer enhanced.  Those whom use the Soundtower editor on PEK for the sequencer will know what I mean.  If those kinds of features could be put into a hardware synth/sequencer, where no computer would be needed.  (Maybe like a matrix layout for the sequencer with all those options) then also an A and B layer like on REV2.  Now that would be great.

I'm jonesing for an OB-X desktop module personally.  I also picked up a Hydrasynth desktop this year and have been very pleased...  But for me an OB-X is a bucket list synth just like the P5/10 was.  It only helped reinforce in my own mind why these older Prophets and Oberheims were so successful as musical instruments, despite such a spartan feature set relative to today's feature set standards.  It's the inspiration I draw from the P10 every time I sit down to it, let alone the sounds that come out of it. 

I'd love to have the full keyboard experience of the OB-X, but for space reasons it's going to need to be a module.
I don't think it would replace my OB-6 any more than my P10 replaced my P6 -- they are different synths with a different sound, which like most synths have the ability to sound similar if you push them in that direction.

For a while I was hoping for a Pro One reissue, but the AS-1 has fulfilled that particular role in my lineup.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #1671 on: July 23, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »

Take 5 is a famous jazz song by Dave Brubeck. So Perhaps it has something to do with rhythm? A drum machine perhaps (Yes please!!!!!) ? A stand alone multitrack sequencer (Yes please!!!!!!!!)

Personally I'd love to see a VCO/Wavetable flagship as well but Take 5 is a really odd name for a synth so I sure hope that isn't it.

jg666

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

jg666

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #1676 on: August 23, 2021, 11:12:02 AM »
well it looks like the Take 5 is seeing the light of day. 
https://www.sequential.com/product/take-5-compact-poly-synth/

5 voice compact analogue poly at a speculated MSRP of $1300? yes please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNv27pVXr_4

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1677 on: August 23, 2021, 11:44:04 AM »
The end to all the fake news suspicion.

I do think this was a smart move on Sequential's part.  The Take 5 will be a very popular instrument. 

https://www.sequential.com/2021/08/take-5-compact-poly-synth/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 11:55:44 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #1678 on: August 23, 2021, 12:45:58 PM »
I agree.  I am looking for my first 'beginner' synth and this fits the bill nicely.  immensely powerful and at a price that I can justify.

LPF83

« Reply #1679 on: August 23, 2021, 12:51:21 PM »
And now that I see the official marketing angle, the name makes more sense (Take5 = emphasis on portability, take 5 notes of polyphony with you etc).  I think its a smart "gateway" product to bring entry level buyers in and make them permanent Sequential customers, and probably has Uli sweating.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC