Next New Sequential Instrument

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1400 on: September 27, 2020, 02:29:39 AM »
But yeah, Moog do charge a bit too much for what their products.
That has certainly been what I have thought over the history of Moog, but I am starting to change my mind about that a little.

Take the Moog One for example.  The 16 voice runs you $530 per analogue voice — that’s if you don’t have a relationship with a dealer and I can get a bit of a discount (most people do and can). That “per voice” cost (while certainly more expensive than a Rev 2 or Prologue) is in line with OB-6 / P6. Yet the Moog One offers a lot that the OB-6 / P6 doesn’t — more LFOs, envelopes, a very comprehensive mod matrix, 61 keys in a keybed that is second to none...  it’s a “whole is greater than the sum of the parts” argument.  I’m not knocking the OB-6 or P6, not at all — they are both stellar.  But for what it does, the Moog One is priced about right for 16 analogue voices.

As for the Matriarch... similar statement.  While it doesn’t have a mod matrix or presets, 4 OSCs, 2 LFOs, 2 envelopes... and THAT sound.  It just has that sound that no other mono synth that I’ve had my hands on can produce.  I haven’t played the Pro 3, and I’m sure it’s stellar. But the Matriarch is in the same range ($100 cheaper than the SE).  I see them as very different creatures — I believe most synthesists would.

Anyway, I’ve had a couple Scotchs.... so I hope I’m coherent.  But the Matriarch produces a tone that can be warm, beefy, creamy... that Moog tone in the past (Voyager, Model D) would have cost you more.

Hahaha, no worries mate, those scotchs haven't blurred your points at all.  And you have valid points, just I feel that there is a little bit of a "prestige tax" on the Moog name which climbs every 3mths in a manner not relative to inflation.  2yrs ago the Mother 32 was 2/3's the price it is now....

Shaw

« Reply #1401 on: September 27, 2020, 05:51:37 AM »
Hahaha, no worries mate, those scotchs haven't blurred your points at all.  And you have valid points, just I feel that there is a little bit of a "prestige tax" on the Moog name which climbs every 3mths in a manner not relative to inflation.  2yrs ago the Mother 32 was 2/3's the price it is now....
Ouch!  I hadn’t noticed that because the Mother 32 isn’t my kind of thing... but wow.  That’s odd.  You rarely see synths *increase* in retail price.

You could also make the VERY valid observation that if you want to get into Moog Modular, you had better have very deep pockets. Absurdly so.

So yeah... there is still a bit of a premium for the Moog name. 
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

jok3r

« Reply #1402 on: September 27, 2020, 11:54:33 AM »
You rarely see synths *increase* in retail price.

What? I think that happens quite often. The Rev2 is more expensive at the moment, than when I bought it. The Prophet 6 has been 300€ cheaper than now for quite a long time (still didn't manage to buy one  :'( ) ... To name an example of another manufacturer: the PEAK has been cheaper, too ...

But I'm living in Europe... perhaps that has to do with some export/import taxes things that I don't know much about. I think prices in- and decrease constantly... that's why I have all the synth I care for on a watchlist.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #1403 on: September 27, 2020, 01:11:07 PM »
In my neck of the woods, the Moog One 16 tops out at $762.44 per voice.  Then you have to add $91.50 per voice in taxes.  Not something to take lightly.

But I do agree with your assessment of the Moogs

Shaw

« Reply #1404 on: September 27, 2020, 02:11:39 PM »
You rarely see synths *increase* in retail price.

What? I think that happens quite often. The Rev2 is more expensive at the moment, than when I bought it. The Prophet 6 has been 300€ cheaper than now for quite a long time (still didn't manage to buy one  :'( ) ... To name an example of another manufacturer: the PEAK has been cheaper, too ...

But I'm living in Europe... perhaps that has to do with some export/import taxes things that I don't know much about. I think prices in- and decrease constantly... that's why I have all the synth I care for on a watchlist.
I'm pretty sure the PEAK, Rev2, P6... have remained the same price here in the US. I have seen synths go down in price -- especially toward the end of their life cycle... P12, Kurzweil PC3K, I've seen others.

You're definitely getting the euro distributor tax.  I pay extra for health care, you pay extra for everything else.  It probably all washes out in the mix.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

jok3r

« Reply #1405 on: September 27, 2020, 02:31:22 PM »
I pay extra for health care, you pay extra for everything else.

Well, then I better choose health care  ::)

Maybe I could talk to my health insurance, because synths are a kind of mental health care for me  ;D
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

jg666

« Reply #1406 on: September 27, 2020, 02:55:00 PM »
Same here, my synth addiction helps keep me sane :) I live alone and haven’t had visitors since February (like most people during this current situation) but my synths keep me optimistic and stop me from drinking too much ;D
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LoboLives

« Reply #1407 on: September 27, 2020, 03:14:03 PM »
Looks like it’ll be an October release. Actually maybe not even a release but an announcement.

Shaw

« Reply #1408 on: September 27, 2020, 03:40:34 PM »
I pay extra for health care, you pay extra for everything else.

Well, then I better choose health care  ::)

Maybe I could talk to my health insurance, because synths are a kind of mental health care for me  ;D
HAHAHA.... no doubt.

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #1409 on: September 28, 2020, 12:12:15 AM »
Hell...I love my synths and outboard gear more than life itself ... but even they can’t help me from drinking a King’s amount of booze 🥃

Now, Sequential bringeth forth ye announcement of thine synth

SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

jg666

« Reply #1410 on: September 28, 2020, 12:16:08 AM »
Hell...I love my synths and outboard gear more than life itself ... but even they can’t help me from drinking a King’s amount of booze 🥃

Now, Sequential bringeth forth ye announcement of thine synth

Don't get me wrong, I still have a good skinfull Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings, but thanks to my synths I don't even think about alcohol during the week :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #1411 on: September 28, 2020, 04:06:08 PM »
That’s good on you brother666, I’ve actually gone down to 2 or 3 beers a night so I don’t get messy much at all anymore since the gigs stopped in March 😔  but yeah the Pro 3 is definitely helping keep me sane during this time.  Can’t help but wonder when things will ever get better!?
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com

LoboLives

« Reply #1412 on: September 28, 2020, 05:06:23 PM »
That’s good on you brother666, I’ve actually gone down to 2 or 3 beers a night so I don’t get messy much at all anymore since the gigs stopped in March 😔  but yeah the Pro 3 is definitely helping keep me sane during this time.  Can’t help but wonder when things will ever get better!?

Next Summer. Just have a really bizarre feeling that’s when it’ll happen. I really think this is the time for people to plan and create the art they want to create to be ready to show it to the world. It’s weird last year I was pitching a film I wanted to make to people...an old 1950s style black and white monster movie and I wanted to tour it and show it at Drive Ins around Canada and the US. Distributors and producers laughed at me....now suddenly they are phoning me up because the popularity of Drive Ins have increased due to social distancing. Even music, I’ve been planning on making some full albums for a while and now that’s exactly what I’m doing. Writing constantly. Just putting stuff away in the vault and building up a catalog.

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #1413 on: September 28, 2020, 05:18:15 PM »

Next Summer. Just have a really bizarre feeling that’s when it’ll happen. I really think this is the time for people to plan and create the art they want to create to be ready to show it to the world. It’s weird last year I was pitching a film I wanted to make to people...an old 1950s style black and white monster movie and I wanted to tour it and show it at Drive Ins around Canada and the US. Distributors and producers laughed at me....now suddenly they are phoning me up because the popularity of Drive Ins have increased due to social distancing. Even music, I’ve been planning on making some full albums for a while and now that’s exactly what I’m doing. Writing constantly. Just putting stuff away in the vault and building up a catalog.

Lobo That sounds like a kick ass idea for a movie and what better time to get it going now that drive ins are what’s safe and fun!  That’s exactly what we are doing now just writing a bunch of music for the next year and by the end of 2021 we will pick our 10 favorite tracks out of whatever we end up making by then for a 2022 album.  Our label in Germany wants us to do a 2021 release but we feel more confident 2022 will be better for touring an album.  Definitely feeling you on now is the time to create and have fun doing it.
www.syzygyxmusic.com

jg666

« Reply #1414 on: September 28, 2020, 11:10:49 PM »
Just realised I used a term which some people might not know, around these parts having a good skinfull relates to getting very drunk :)

chysn

« Reply #1415 on: September 29, 2020, 04:07:55 PM »
Just realised I used a term which some people might not know, around these parts having a good skinfull relates to getting very drunk :)

I think I speak for most of us when I say we pretty much picked it up from context  :)
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Shaw

« Reply #1416 on: September 30, 2020, 02:42:41 PM »
Good news everyone!   I just purchased a Matriarch which means Sequential will be announcing their new synth (making me regret my purchase) imminently!  (at least, that's how it usually goes)

You was nearly right... I see Moog have just announced 'Dark' versions of the Grandmother and Matriarch !
No Shit... I’ve emailed my Sweetwater rep to see if I can trade up.... my synth collection contains several nice looking synths... and then there’s the Moog “fruit loops”

... just reporting back to the gang... I was successful!   Even the wife likes it better.   ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1417 on: September 30, 2020, 02:59:55 PM »
... Just reporting back to the gang... I was successful!   Even the wife likes it better.   ;D

Congratulations, Shaw.  See, this is just what the guys at Moog were thinking when they named it "Matriarch."   It's the one instrument that can get past the wife.

And so, the new Sequential instrument should be announced any day now.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 03:24:57 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #1418 on: September 30, 2020, 03:27:13 PM »
... just reporting back to the gang... I was successful!   Even the wife likes it better.   ;D

Nice gesture from Sweetwater. I just joined the club of Moog's semi-modulars by finally getting a Grandmother which was always meant to replace my Sub 37. The DFAM and Subharmonicon are next.

Shaw

« Reply #1419 on: September 30, 2020, 04:13:59 PM »

Congratulations, Shaw.  See, this is just what the guys at Moog were thinking when they named it "Matriarch."   It's the one instrument that can get past the wife.And so, the new Sequential instrument should be announced any day now.

Yeah... Dave is queuing up the YouTube video as we speak....   :)

Nice gesture from Sweetwater. I just joined the club of Moog's semi-modulars by finally getting a Grandmother which was always meant to replace my Sub 37. The DFAM and Subharmonicon are next.

That's gonna be a sweet combination.  I, for one, am hoping that this DOESN'T lead me down the EuroCrack rabbit hole.  That being said, I have already started mapping out a "Deckard Two-Voice" on Modulargrid.com...   ::)