Next New Sequential Instrument

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2016, 07:53:22 PM »
Perfect!  I'll take the whole pile, please.  Wait a minute...no Tetras?

eXode

« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2016, 04:47:47 AM »
Low chance of happening but I'd like to see 49 key MoPho X6, or something similar distilled from the synth portion of the Tempest design.

chysn

« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2016, 08:41:17 PM »
Certainly. That's why I personally wouldn't expect another analog poly synth any time soon, not even a successor to the Prophet '08. Now the cat is out of the bag with regard to the DSM03 module and its digital filter, an entirely digital synth might even be a possibility.

But here's the description of the DSM03 on ModularGrid (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/dave-smith-modular-dsm03-feedback), saying it's an analog filter:

"We took the feedback feature originally in the Evolver (also on the Pro 2, and Prophet 12), the idea is you have a tuned feedback loop that takes the audio output, runs it back through the analogue filter, and then through a delay line... so you can do Karplus-Strong synthesis with it, or you can just use if for mangling sounds" - Dave Smith

So who knows what to think. DSI hasn't addressed any questions about the filter, so we'll just have to wait like two whole weeks. I've pre-ordered the DSM03, and as soon as it arrives, I'll post a demo of the filter.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2016, 02:31:32 PM »
Certainly. That's why I personally wouldn't expect another analog poly synth any time soon, not even a successor to the Prophet '08. Now the cat is out of the bag with regard to the DSM03 module and its digital filter, an entirely digital synth might even be a possibility.

But here's the description of the DSM03 on ModularGrid (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/dave-smith-modular-dsm03-feedback), saying it's an analog filter:

"We took the feedback feature originally in the Evolver (also on the Pro 2, and Prophet 12), the idea is you have a tuned feedback loop that takes the audio output, runs it back through the analogue filter, and then through a delay line... so you can do Karplus-Strong synthesis with it, or you can just use if for mangling sounds" - Dave Smith

So who knows what to think. DSI hasn't addressed any questions about the filter, so we'll just have to wait like two whole weeks. I've pre-ordered the DSM03, and as soon as it arrives, I'll post a demo of the filter.

That's strange. But I would tend to believe what Robot Heart wrote in the according sub forum, and what Carson and Andy told me at Summer NAMM. I'm also not sure about whether that description from ModularGrid is official. Why would DSI use the British spelling of the word "analog"? - Plus: Why would they post a description on ModularGrid before even announcing and describing the DSM03 on their official site? Makes no sense to me.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:35:00 PM by Paul Dither »

chysn

« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2016, 06:01:15 PM »
That's strange. But I would tend to believe what Robot Heart wrote in the according sub forum, and what Carson and Andy told me at Summer NAMM. I'm also not sure about whether that description from ModularGrid is official. Why would DSI use the British spelling of the word "analog"? - Plus: Why would they post a description on ModularGrid before even announcing and describing the DSM03 on their official site? Makes no sense to me.

extempo identified the quote from a Sonic State interview with Dave Smith (in the first part of ). I expect the spelling of analog was the choice of the transcriber. extempo's explanation makes sense in this context, being that Mr Smith was describing the feedback of the Evolver, Pro2, etc., and not directly speaking about the DSM03's filter.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2016, 01:58:45 AM »
extempo identified the quote from a Sonic State interview with Dave Smith (in the first part of ). I expect the spelling of analog was the choice of the transcriber. extempo's explanation makes sense in this context, being that Mr Smith was describing the feedback of the Evolver, Pro2, etc., and not directly speaking about the DSM03's filter.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the update!

« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2016, 01:06:48 PM »
Whatever the new new DSI instrument is–chances are, it will neither be inexpensive nor lightweight (from an embedded software perspective):

https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/2016/11/dave-smith-instruments-hiring/

In fact–those areas of expertise are not far removed from those required for in-dash infotainment systems....
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:09:30 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2016, 01:19:45 PM »
Whatever the new new DSI instrument is–chances are, it will neither be inexpensive nor lightweight (from an embedded software perspective):

In fact–those areas of expertise are not far removed from those required for in-dash infotainment systems....

Or maybe the next instrument is going to require a navigation system.  ;D

dslsynth

« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2016, 01:26:56 PM »
Or scuba gear! . o O ( menu diving )

Seriously, lets hope DSI wants not only to have more development muscle in their software department but also maintain their existing products more and better. That would be a constructive step forward from the current mode of operation.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2016, 01:36:42 PM »
Or scuba gear! . o O ( menu diving )

Haha!

Seriously, lets hope DSI wants not only to have more development muscle in their software department but also maintain their existing products more and better. That would be a constructive step forward from the current mode of operation.

It's definitely an encouraging move that is going to ease the balance between new developments and further maintenance.

dslsynth

« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »
It's definitely an encouraging move that is going to ease the balance between new developments and further maintenance.

Of cause depending on how this extra resource is used and managed! Not to mention the amount of time it will take the new hire to dive into the code base and fully understand it.

. o O ( RTFS )
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2016, 02:12:09 PM »

Possibly?

eXode

« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »

Possibly?

Seems like it. Microchip PIC was used up to whatever product was released before the Prophet 12 and Pro 2 as far as I know. The Prophet 12 and Pro 2 both use Sharc DSP, and I'm pretty sure the Prophet-6 and OB-6 does too (they have digital FX after all).

Sounds to me that they're looking for someone to both maintain the old and handle the new.

dslsynth

« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2016, 04:11:13 PM »
I got the impression that DSI use PIC for the MIDI related main processor stuff and Sharc DSP for voice processors. So both are relevant for new products.

Also there is a difference between extending a team and actually change company policies. Hence the new versus maintenance hope expression!
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #154 on: November 11, 2016, 02:44:20 AM »
Microchip PIC was used up to whatever product was released before the Prophet 12 and Pro 2 as far as I know. The Prophet 12 and Pro 2 both use Sharc DSP, and I'm pretty sure the Prophet-6 and OB-6 does too (they have digital FX after all).

Sounds to me that they're looking for someone to both maintain the old and handle the new.

You are correct, both Sharc DSPs and PIC Microchips are also used in the Prophet-6 (and the OB-6 for that matter).

You can see them both in the video I did about the inside of the Prophet-6 from about the 8:17 mark on:

« Reply #155 on: November 11, 2016, 03:44:36 PM »

Of cause depending on how this extra resource is used and managed! Not to mention the amount of time it will take the new hire to dive into the code base and fully understand it.

. o O ( RTFS )

Well I'm sure they'll just be getting everyone's coffee upgrading Java for the first few weeks anyway.   ;D

chysn

« Reply #156 on: November 11, 2016, 06:39:33 PM »
Well I'm sure they'll just be getting everyone's coffee upgrading Java for the first few weeks anyway.   ;D

HA HA!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2016, 04:37:16 AM »

With anything Eclipse-based, so true....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

eXode

« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2016, 07:02:04 AM »
8 voice based on the Prophet-6/OB-6 with the Pro 2 filter setup (i.e. Prophet LPF + SEM SVF) with minimum 2 LFO's, and 61 keys.
There could be a deluxe version with 12 voices, and 73 keys as well. (:

dslsynth

« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2016, 08:14:14 AM »
[...] and 61 keys.
There could be a deluxe version with 12 voices, and 73 keys as well. (:

There is always the module option (hopefully). With the advent of newer more compact and possibly more expressive controllers modules could very well be more expressive. Especially when/if DSI supports MPE and multi-timbral modes.

#!/bin/sh