Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1240 on: April 08, 2020, 05:59:07 PM »
I'd like Pro-3 style switchable filters but in an 8-16 voice poly, with a 5 octave keyboard.
Here’s hoping that Dave’s August synth release will deliver on just that; if it does, I’m buying it.

I can't see it being the synth he announces in August but I can see it happening next year.

Why not? And if not, what do you think August's release will be?

"Easier to implement" and "A different kind of musician" I just don't see applying to what is essentially a flagship synth. I just feel it would be a tad odd to release two flagship synths in one year.

What I can see however is a replacement for the MOPHOX4 based on the Prophet REV2 architecture. Just a smaller and simpler four voice poly synth.

As much as I would like to see something radical like a vocoder or guitar synthesizer system or something geared towards "A different kind of musician" I don't think Dave wants to step outside the realm of keyboards anymore (Save for maybe a new drum machine but I can't see him doing it on his own and with Roger Linn already working on a new drum machine I don't think Dave would bother). Maybe "a different kind of musician" simply just means "beginner" or "more affordable". While there may seem like there are plenty of options for that on the market already (Korg Minilogue etc) most of them feature mini keys and I think Sequential offering a USA made affordable four voice poly synth option to their catalog might be a nice addition. Even for people who own higher tier gear like a Prophet 6. Think of it as Sequential's Juno to compliment their Jupiter if you get my drift.

I was kind of hoping “different kind of musician” might mean something like “someone who wants to play more than one note at a time”. Also I wondered if it might be a Prophet 12 “replacement” - that didn’t have a sequencer, so my thinking was a synth which doesn’t have the (Pro 3) sequencer would be “easier to implement”. (So would a 5-octave Prophet 6 to be fair.)

Interesting if they do bring out something in the Mopho 4x mould though.

Whatever it is, I’m sure it’ll be great and I look forward to seeing and hearing it in due course.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1241 on: April 08, 2020, 07:00:02 PM »
"A different kind of musician" could also refer to one that's not proficient at synthesizer programming.  Maybe he means a simple instrument with presets and few parameters, like a workstation.

LoboLives

« Reply #1242 on: April 08, 2020, 07:05:49 PM »
"A different kind of musician" could also refer to one that's not proficient at synthesizer programming.  Maybe he means a simple instrument with presets and few parameters, like a workstation.

Like the old Sequential Max? No knobs galore.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/max.php

LoboLives

« Reply #1243 on: April 08, 2020, 07:07:46 PM »
I'd like Pro-3 style switchable filters but in an 8-16 voice poly, with a 5 octave keyboard.
Here’s hoping that Dave’s August synth release will deliver on just that; if it does, I’m buying it.

I can't see it being the synth he announces in August but I can see it happening next year.

Why not? And if not, what do you think August's release will be?

"Easier to implement" and "A different kind of musician" I just don't see applying to what is essentially a flagship synth. I just feel it would be a tad odd to release two flagship synths in one year.

What I can see however is a replacement for the MOPHOX4 based on the Prophet REV2 architecture. Just a smaller and simpler four voice poly synth.

As much as I would like to see something radical like a vocoder or guitar synthesizer system or something geared towards "A different kind of musician" I don't think Dave wants to step outside the realm of keyboards anymore (Save for maybe a new drum machine but I can't see him doing it on his own and with Roger Linn already working on a new drum machine I don't think Dave would bother). Maybe "a different kind of musician" simply just means "beginner" or "more affordable". While there may seem like there are plenty of options for that on the market already (Korg Minilogue etc) most of them feature mini keys and I think Sequential offering a USA made affordable four voice poly synth option to their catalog might be a nice addition. Even for people who own higher tier gear like a Prophet 6. Think of it as Sequential's Juno to compliment their Jupiter if you get my drift.

I was kind of hoping “different kind of musician” might mean something like “someone who wants to play more than one note at a time”. Also I wondered if it might be a Prophet 12 “replacement” - that didn’t have a sequencer, so my thinking was a synth which doesn’t have the (Pro 3) sequencer would be “easier to implement”. (So would a 5-octave Prophet 6 to be fair.)

Interesting if they do bring out something in the Mopho 4x mould though.

Whatever it is, I’m sure it’ll be great and I look forward to seeing and hearing it in due course.

Naw I think a sequencer is a must for a synth these days. It would be a silly omission. Personally I’m put off by both the Summit and HydraSynth due to lack of sequencer.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1244 on: April 08, 2020, 07:09:33 PM »

Egads, what a cyclops!  I was thinking more of the Korg workstations.  It wouldn't be so far-fetched after the Prophet X.

Shaw

« Reply #1245 on: April 08, 2020, 07:18:05 PM »
"A different kind of musician"
A guitar...?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #1246 on: April 08, 2020, 07:53:59 PM »
"A different kind of musician"
A guitar...?

As Dave is a guitarist as well it would be interesting. I was watching an old video where he was running his guitar into an Evolver. https://youtu.be/3cuQXSGnUnU

LoboLives

« Reply #1247 on: April 08, 2020, 07:57:41 PM »

Egads, what a cyclops!  I was thinking more of the Korg workstations.  It wouldn't be so far-fetched after the Prophet X.

Nah Dave already dismissed workstations during an interview with the Prophet X. “Everybody has workstations but the issue with workstations is they require you to work. It’s in the name! Who wants to work?” Lol

I think if we were going to see any type of workstation from Sequential the Prophet X/XL would have been it and frankly it would have been silly to do. The market is way too flooded with them from Roland to Yamaha to Korg to Kurzweil.

« Reply #1248 on: April 09, 2020, 12:39:01 AM »
If they came out with a rival to the minilogue but with full sized keys, I would probably jump all over that.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1249 on: April 09, 2020, 09:44:52 AM »

Nah Dave already dismissed workstations during an interview with the Prophet X. “Everybody has workstations but the issue with workstations is they require you to work. It’s in the name! Who wants to work?” Lol

I think if we were going to see any type of workstation from Sequential the Prophet X/XL would have been it and frankly it would have been silly to do. The market is way too flooded with them from Roland to Yamaha to Korg to Kurzweil.

That's my point - the Prophet X.  Who would ever have thought such an instrument would come from the guy who many times has criticized the use of synthesizers as instruments of imitation?  The PX was an about face.  I'm not suggesting a workstation in its common form, but something similar to it.  You yourself have said that Dave is full of surprises - for example, on the P6-VCO issue.  It's true also regarding the Rev2.  And there was also much skepticim about the production of an essentially monophonic synthesizer.  That's why, in spite of all, I could still imagine Sequential producing a Poly Evolver Mk II, in spitie of the "No, never" claims. 

I would call the Rev2, PX, and Pro3 "unexpected" instruments.  Dave has a touch of capriciousness about him; he not infrequently does precisely what he's said he will not do.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:56:21 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

OceanMachine

« Reply #1250 on: April 09, 2020, 10:11:07 AM »
That's my point - the Prophet X.  Who would ever have thought such an instrument would come from the guy who many times has criticized the use of synthesizers as instruments of imitation?

I mean, it's not that surprising considering the Prophet 2000.

jok3r

« Reply #1251 on: April 09, 2020, 10:23:06 AM »
If he does a workstation kind of synthesizer it would only be interesting for me, if it could outperform a Kronos. That didn‘t happen since 2011 ... there were many tries from all the companies out there, and in one or the other regard they succeed. But in the whole, there is no workstation like Kronos.

If there was a true 88 keys Kronos Killer coming in the same price range about 4000€ (lesser, if lesser keys) I would give it a try for sure.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1252 on: April 09, 2020, 10:50:56 AM »
That's my point - the Prophet X.  Who would ever have thought such an instrument would come from the guy who many times has criticized the use of synthesizers as instruments of imitation?

I mean, it's not that surprising considering the Prophet 2000.

And how long ago was that?  I'm referring to multiple interviews in the last few years in which he has gently expressed his disliking for the use of synthesizers for emulating existing instruments.  He wants people to use his painstakingly designed instruments to produce new sounds. 

I'm indifferent about it myself.  I use my synthesizers for both.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 11:23:22 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1253 on: April 09, 2020, 10:52:47 AM »
If he does a workstation kind of synthesizer it would only be interesting for me, if it could outperform a Kronos. That didn‘t happen since 2011 ... there were many tries from all the companies out there, and in one or the other regard they succeed. But in the whole, there is no workstation like Kronos.

If there was a true 88 keys Kronos Killer coming in the same price range about 4000€ (lesser, if lesser keys) I would give it a try for sure.

Personally, I have no interest in workstations.  So, I'm certainly not encouraging the idea, but just commenting on the possibility.  I do think Dave is good for a surprise from time to time.  That's my main point. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 11:24:22 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

OceanMachine

« Reply #1254 on: April 09, 2020, 11:46:55 AM »
Considering the not insubstantial price drop of the PX, which is not common business practice since the DSI days, I would assume it didn't do quite as well as initially expected. Coupled with the fact that UI software is certainly not their strong suit, a workstation would be dead last on my things expected list. Besides, the whole endeavor seems absurd considering their manpower when going against these huge corporations that design and put out such products. I just can't at all see how that would be "easier" to design for the company. Perhaps they want to make the most out of the R&D put into the X, in that case I would say a Tempest X somewhere down the line is certainly possible, although not coming next according to Dave's recent comments. The Tempest is already imo pretty much the ideal groovebox "platform" as is, so it's not like they need Roger's direct involvement this time.

A REV2 Tetra does make sense from a business standpoint. However, what would be considerably cooler for me on the lower-end front, would be a programmable SEM module with some royalties going to Tom ofc.

As for going forward (i.e. not this next release), digital front-end synths are all the rage these days and a true VS successor would be on the top of most people's lists. Then there's an Evolver successor (hopefully with VCOs this time), which would have little to no competition. The most innovative thing Dave and Co. could do is release an intuitive knobby FM synth that the world has been eagerly waiting for. That or the programmable (with a mod matrix instead of patch cables) modular keyboard platform that I proposed a while back, which would need specific modules that work within the ecosystem (i.e. a huge risk with tons of groundwork needed).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:02:53 PM by A Thousand Eyes »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1255 on: April 09, 2020, 11:49:11 AM »
I agree with everything you've said, A Thousand Eyes.  I only tossed out the workstation idea as a possibility, a mere guess, and not one that personally interests me.  I don't think it's at all likely.  But...Dave does surpise us at times.

To anyone who's followed this forum for some time, it would be difficult not to notice the many requests that have been made over the years for a new Wavestation/VS/Poly Evolver type of instrument.  It's been a steady drum beat for quite a while.  So many people from so many different musical perspectives have wished for this.  (Considering the age of my PEK/PER pair, it's my wish, too.)  The Sequential staff knows it, and so Dave must know it as well.  But we can only hope for another unexpected surprise.

Nothing sounds like an Evolver.  I listen to the videos of the new exciting feature-rich poly synths as they come out.  I've watched the Peak and Summit demonstrations.  Nice lovely impressive instruments, one after another; but still, nothing sounds like an Evolver, not even a Prophet 12 or a Prophet X.  I had thought the latter might, but no.  So, the Evolver is worth reviving, among other reasons, because in a crowd of poly synths its sonic character still stands out.  It may be related to the stereo filters, or the stereo oscillators, or even the very long envelope times that allow you to achieve a deep dreaminess.  But the Evolver's unique sound definitely has to do with the specific selection of digital oscillators.  These were allegedly designed in a rather haphazard arbitrary way, but the results were memorable.  The tones, combined with the analog oscillators, make the distinctive voice of the Evolver.  Perhaps they might need to be cleaned up a bit - although the aliasing is also an important quality to the Evolver's voice - but they are the heart of the big blue monster.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:47:08 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

jok3r

« Reply #1256 on: April 09, 2020, 01:36:05 PM »
I did not want to say that I hope it‘s a workstation. In fact, I hope it is not a workstation, because I don‘t believe it could compete with a Kronos. I just wanted to say, if it really is a workstation, it should better be an absolute killer. For the reasons you mentionend about company size, etc., I can‘t believe they would go this way.

When I said I would give it a try, that was not even related to a Sequential workstation only... I would at least try a competitor to Kronos from every company if I really believed it could overcome the flaws of the Kronos.

But if I could choose I‘d rather have a new Kronos from Korg and a Poly Pro3 with 5 octaves and at least 8 voices from Sequential ;-)
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #1257 on: April 17, 2020, 02:20:14 PM »
My thought is it will be either a basic semi-modular like a Mother 32 or DFAM with a sequencer, or like has already been suggested, a mid-range / value poly-synth with limited voices (odyssey, minilogue, etc). I personally would love either one.

Also, knowing they're working on getting MPE working on the Prophet 6 (and OB-6 presumably), it's possible whatever it will be will have it built in, and so maybe the keyboard quality will be what really drives up the cost, with the actual voice architecture itself being pared down / simpler.

I don't think they'll shoot for an MSRP under $1k USD, though.

« Reply #1258 on: June 17, 2020, 02:57:46 AM »
My fingers are crossed for a Pro 3 or other monosynth (Pro One tribute maybe?) design in module form. It would look great next to my Prophet 6 and Rev2 modules. I love that form factor and have been holding off on buying the Pro 3 hoping they make it a reality
Prophet 2000, Prophet 6, Prophet 600, Multi-Trak, TOM, Matrix6, Poly61, EX-800, Prologue16, DS-8, DW-8000, DSS-1, Wavestation A/D, M1R EX, JX-3P, D-550, S-550, Alpha Juno1, SY35, DX7, TX7, RX7/11/15/17, ESQ-1, Mirage DSK-8

Catfax

• Synths are good
    • catfax
« Reply #1259 on: June 19, 2020, 07:57:27 PM »
I feel like something for a "different type of musician" almost has to be interface based, maybe we are looking at a new MPE or midi 2.0 based synth focused on performance interaction more so than knob tweaking. All we really know is that it fits on a table where Dave can work on it :D