Next New Sequential Instrument

Pym

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1140 on: January 15, 2020, 01:23:31 PM »
Filter type will never be a routable destination in this instrument, the amount of analog hardware to do it would have added significant cost and increase the end price quite a bit, not to mention the complexity of the user interface

I wasn’t imagining as a blend at all, more that it would jump straight from one to the other at a given CC value. The parallel is again in the way the Sub37 jumps between the four states or jumps between its oscillator octave settings - it’s not continuous. The filters are engaged by a simple button press which, in theory (and without my knowing the underlying architecture) could be made to change according to CC value, eg, 0-42 is filter 1, 43-84 is filter 2 and 85-127 is filter 3.

Gotcha. Well, as of now "filter type" is not a modulation destination. Only the Sequential team can say whether or not it could be implemented.
Sequential

« Reply #1141 on: January 15, 2020, 02:12:25 PM »
the filter cutoff and oscillator octave controls are tightened to the chassis,

Awesome! That was a problem I had - my Pro 2’s cutoff knobs went wobbly after just two weeks.

« Reply #1142 on: January 15, 2020, 02:13:40 PM »
Filter type will never be a routable destination in this instrument, the amount of analog hardware to do it would have added significant cost and increase the end price quite a bit, not to mention the complexity of the user interface

I wasn’t imagining as a blend at all, more that it would jump straight from one to the other at a given CC value. The parallel is again in the way the Sub37 jumps between the four states or jumps between its oscillator octave settings - it’s not continuous. The filters are engaged by a simple button press which, in theory (and without my knowing the underlying architecture) could be made to change according to CC value, eg, 0-42 is filter 1, 43-84 is filter 2 and 85-127 is filter 3.

Gotcha. Well, as of now "filter type" is not a modulation destination. Only the Sequential team can say whether or not it could be implemented.

Thanks for clearing that up.

« Reply #1143 on: January 15, 2020, 03:14:21 PM »
and step ratcheting. :) YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TANGERINE DREAM CITY!

Yes. 2-8 ratchets per step. The higher numbers make particular sense for slow tempo settings. Btw, by "slightly enhanced sequencer" I didn't mean to say that only a little was added to what the Pro 2 was already capable of (I realized there was too much understatement in my wording), but rather that the already great sequencer of the Pro 2 has been improved both in terms of user experience and functionality. You can now also change the duration of any step or group of tied steps and there are always 16 tracks available (on top of the 32 modulation slots), no matter how many steps your sequence consists of.

Pym

« Reply #1144 on: January 15, 2020, 06:49:00 PM »
Actually the backend was substantially improved... the timing should be tighter, etc. This sequencer is more powerful than the Tempest was, lays the groundwork for lots of stuff

Yes. 2-8 ratchets per step. The higher numbers make particular sense for slow tempo settings. Btw, by "slightly enhanced sequencer" I didn't mean to say that only a little was added to what the Pro 2 was already capable of (I realized there was too much understatement in my wording), but rather that the already great sequencer of the Pro 2 has been improved both in terms of user experience and functionality. You can now also change the duration of any step or group of tied steps and there are always 16 tracks available (on top of the 32 modulation slots), no matter how many steps your sequence consists of.
Sequential

LoboLives

« Reply #1145 on: January 15, 2020, 07:07:05 PM »
Actually the backend was substantially improved... the timing should be tighter, etc. This sequencer is more powerful than the Tempest was, lays the groundwork for lots of stuff

Hmmm perhaps a hint at more sequencer oriented projects in the future ;)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1146 on: January 15, 2020, 10:21:33 PM »
I hope that the sequencer's 16 tracks can have a programmed reset step, so that each track can have its own step length... This would be excactly essential, if you talk about Tangerine Dream, not to mention Klaus Schulze's sequences which is constantly evolving due to using sequences of different lengths... This may not seem important because the pro3 is monophonic, but it will matter with especially paraphonic tracks, and also modulating other parameters.

So please Pym... If this is not already possible, this will be my first feature request... It open up so many more complex and evolving possibilities  :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #1147 on: January 15, 2020, 11:37:46 PM »
I hope that the sequencer's 16 tracks can have a programmed reset step, so that each track can have its own step length... This would be excactly essential, if you talk about Tangerine Dream, not to mention Klaus Schulze's sequences which is constantly evolving due to using sequences of different lengths... This may not seem important because the pro3 is monophonic, but it will matter with especially paraphonic tracks, and also modulating other parameters.

So please Pym... If this is not already possible, this will be my first feature request... It open up so many more complex and evolving possibilities  :)

Already possible. Each track can have its own length. That also counts for the note tracks (1-3) in paraphonic sequencer mode.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1148 on: January 16, 2020, 12:14:48 AM »

Already possible. Each track can have its own length. That also counts for the note tracks (1-3) in paraphonic sequencer mode.

Nice... Then I will just have to find another feature to request, I'll think of something  ;D

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #1149 on: January 16, 2020, 11:44:07 AM »

Could the sequencer in the Pro 3 replace my Schrittmacher?
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #1150 on: January 16, 2020, 11:46:20 AM »

I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the Schrittmacher. Any specific functions you're looking for?

LoboLives

« Reply #1151 on: January 16, 2020, 01:07:33 PM »

The Pro 3 sequencer I believe doesn't have song mode.

That all being said it could easily be the centerpiece of a setup. Have the Tempest as the master clock doing a beat hooked up to the Pro 3 and have the Pro 3's sequencer sequencing internal sounds and Moogs, ARPs, Roland System 500 or whatever.

Wow...I just realized something. A big feature request of the Tempest was to be able to sequence more than one mono synth but maybe the Pro 2 and now the Pro 3 was meant to be the piece of gear to do that all along.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1152 on: January 16, 2020, 03:32:38 PM »

The Pro 3 sequencer I believe doesn't have song mode.

That all being said it could easily be the centerpiece of a setup. Have the Tempest as the master clock doing a beat hooked up to the Pro 3 and have the Pro 3's sequencer sequencing internal sounds and Moogs, ARPs, Roland System 500 or whatever.

Wow...I just realized something. A big feature request of the Tempest was to be able to sequence more than one mono synth but maybe the Pro 2 and now the Pro 3 was meant to be the piece of gear to do that all along.

I think it must be meant to sequence other gear as well because 16 tracks is quite overkill for a 3 note paraphonic with a few mod tracks... Also, why else would pro3 have a dedicated midi output 2? I would believe this output is what you would use for connecting external gear, and the first output being dedicated for pro 3 alone using it for sysex communication etc. Maybe... Just a guess though.

« Reply #1153 on: January 16, 2020, 04:09:50 PM »
I think it must be meant to sequence other gear as well because 16 tracks is quite overkill for a 3 note paraphonic with a few mod tracks... Also, why else would pro3 have a dedicated midi output 2? I would believe this output is what you would use for connecting external gear, and the first output being dedicated for pro 3 alone using it for sysex communication etc. Maybe... Just a guess though.

Okay, these are the sequencer destinations:

1) All synth parameters (like osc 1-3, shape mod, filter frequency, etc.)
2) All 3 parameters of FX1 and FX2
3) Modulation slot amounts 1-32
4) CV Out 1-4
5) CV Trigger 1-4
6) MIDI note on/off messages for channels 1-16 (individually selectable for MIDI output 1 and 2)
7) CC1, 2, 4, 11, 13, 14, 15, 37, 57, 74, 102, 103, 104, 117, 118, 119 (individually selectable for MIDI output 1 and 2)

Tracks 1-3 are reserved for note-related functions (oscillators 1-3), tracks 4-16 can be freely assigned.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:17:41 PM by Paul Dither »

Shaw

« Reply #1154 on: January 16, 2020, 04:30:31 PM »
I think this synth will end up being the surprise of 2020 NAMM. 

What I mean is that when the specs were first released, everyone was bitching about various stuff (1 less Osc, 1 filter at a time, etc.), but as people are hearing, invariably the tune changes to "oh, that's nice", "pre-ordered", "I have got to get me one of these."
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #1155 on: January 16, 2020, 08:19:37 PM »

4) CV Out 1-4
5) CV Trigger 1-4
6) MIDI note on/off messages for channels 1-16 (individually selectable for MIDI output 1 and 2)
7) CC1, 2, 4, 11, 13, 14, 15, 37, 57, 74, 102, 103, 104, 117, 118, 119 (individually selectable for MIDI output 1 and 2)

Tracks 1-3 are reserved for note-related functions (oscillators 1-3), tracks 4-16 can be freely assigned.

Hope that helps.

So does this mean 4-16 can not be note oriented or am I mistaken?

« Reply #1156 on: January 16, 2020, 11:47:55 PM »

4) CV Out 1-4
5) CV Trigger 1-4

Hope that helps.

Is filter envelope sustain a destination? It isn’t in the Pro 2 and it’s a shame as it’s incredibly useful for patch morphing. 

jg666

« Reply #1157 on: January 16, 2020, 11:53:32 PM »
Sonicstate with Dave and the Pro3 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1k_4sO0GNY

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1158 on: January 17, 2020, 12:39:51 AM »
Sonicstate with Dave and the Pro3 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1k_4sO0GNY

Yess! No promises, but he say they are thinking about putting in either user wavetables or extra factory banks of wavetables... I certainly hope they do the user wavetables.

« Reply #1159 on: January 17, 2020, 01:25:19 AM »
Is filter envelope sustain a destination? It isn’t in the Pro 2 and it’s a shame as it’s incredibly useful for patch morphing.

The sustain stage of all envelopes is not a modulation destination. Not sure what you mean by patch morphing. There is only one patch/program at a time.