What synth is that?

Shaw

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1022 on: September 13, 2019, 08:35:08 PM »
LED encircled encoders

Now no one does it.

Apart from Yamaha...  ;)

What synth is that?
Yamaha Montage... with the Super Knob.  A regular knob, but bigger. ;)   

"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

jok3r

« Reply #1023 on: September 14, 2019, 02:47:32 AM »
The new Roland Fantom has also LED indicators around some (I don't know if all) knobs and sliders...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1024 on: September 17, 2019, 02:21:13 AM »
I saw a post today, that DSI has copyrighted the name PRO-3...seems to match the statement from someone who was selling their Pro-1 knowing something we do not.

I guess we will see a 16 voice version of something that can sound excactly like a Pro-1... Otherwise someone would not sell their pro1 because of this...

Also, in the light of the Behringer feud, this is exactly what would be nedded to fight back at the Behringer Pro1... It just needs to be properly priced and have memory to boot... That might give it the edge...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 02:28:12 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #1025 on: September 17, 2019, 04:04:19 AM »
I saw a post today, that DSI has copyrighted the name PRO-3...seems to match the statement from someone who was selling their Pro-1 knowing something we do not.

I guess we will see a 16 voice version of something that can sound excactly like a Pro-1... Otherwise someone would not sell their pro1 because of this...

Also, in the light of the Behringer feud, this is exactly what would be nedded to fight back at the Behringer Pro1... It just needs to be properly priced and have memory to boot... That might give it the edge...

I wonder....analog oscillators? Digital? Both?

LoboLives

« Reply #1026 on: September 17, 2019, 04:05:44 AM »
Also wouldn’t a Polyphonic Pro just be a Prophet?

« Reply #1027 on: September 17, 2019, 04:28:25 AM »
That’s quite exciting. My poly fund is ready and waiting.

kimu

« Reply #1028 on: September 17, 2019, 05:36:26 AM »
 I would love to see a new poly synth from DSI based on the legacy of P12 and Pro2 but i guess that in this case it would be called Prophet- and not Pro-
My feeling is that Pro will always be used for mono synth (paraphonic synth) monster.
maybe an evolved Pro2 with 2 sample osc from Px and 2 digital ones

OceanMachine

« Reply #1029 on: September 17, 2019, 09:45:24 AM »

Almost certainly not the case or it would not have the Pro moniker minus the phet. All it would need is VCOs with the addition of digital oscillators (which might not be the case or else it could be considered part of the Evolver line instead, but then again, the Evolver had DCOs so maybe not) or (so long as it at least has VCOs) the fact that it will have patch memory as well as more sophisticated modulation, etc. (possibly multiple CV I/Os again) is reason enough alone. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:09:41 AM by A Thousand Eyes »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1030 on: September 17, 2019, 01:31:04 PM »

Almost certainly not the case or it would not have the Pro moniker minus the phet. All it would need is VCOs with the addition of digital oscillators (which might not be the case or else it could be considered part of the Evolver line instead, but then again, the Evolver had DCOs so maybe not) or (so long as it at least has VCOs) the fact that it will have patch memory as well as more sophisticated modulation, etc. (possibly multiple CV I/Os again) is reason enough alone.

Still it would not make sense to sell your Pro-1 if the replacement would not sound 100% like it... this is what is confusing... but I guess you all will just have to wait and see what comes...

« Reply #1031 on: September 18, 2019, 03:59:15 PM »
Still it would not make sense to sell your Pro-1 if the replacement would not sound 100% like it... this is what is confusing... but I guess you all will just have to wait and see what comes...

People look at instruments in a wide variety of ways.  Sometimes it’s a physical space or economic trade-off where you simply can’t have both.  Sometimes it’s a desire to be inspired by something new and move on from an old habit.  Sometimes it’s a calculated risk that you’ll find enough advantages to offset what you’ve lost by focusing your attention on a different instrument rather than dividing it.

I know I wouldn’t lose a moment’s sleep replacing an upright piano with a fantastic grand, even knowing full well that it can’t reproduce the upright’s tone.  Not that I’m saying this is entirely comparable, but offering a somewhat parallel example.

Shaw

« Reply #1032 on: September 18, 2019, 04:26:26 PM »

People look at instruments in a wide variety of ways.  Sometimes it’s a physical space or economic trade-off where you simply can’t have both.  Sometimes it’s a desire to be inspired by something new and move on from an old habit.  Sometimes it’s a calculated risk that you’ll find enough advantages to offset what you’ve lost by focusing your attention on a different instrument rather than dividing it.

I know I wouldn’t lose a moment’s sleep replacing an upright piano with a fantastic grand, even knowing full well that it can’t reproduce the upright’s tone.  Not that I’m saying this is entirely comparable, but offering a somewhat parallel example.

No doubt. I’m currently selling a synth to get something completely different.  Sometimes we don’t get on with something as well as we expect we might. No harm in it.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

blewis

« Reply #1033 on: September 18, 2019, 04:40:04 PM »

I would think someone willing to sell their Pro-1 means the new thing has VCOs and that person has found that everything they liked in the AS-1 is there in the new thing.

LoboLives

« Reply #1034 on: September 18, 2019, 07:36:24 PM »
Personally I still like my idea of a Pro4. Which was essentially four AS1 synths under the hood. Four part multitimbrality with each voice having their own arp/sequencer, effects, two VCOs and you could split and layer them in any way...including a poly stack mode which you could have a four voice synth....sort of like the concept from the Korg Mono/Poly.

Obviously we don’t know what this is...but I would hope it’s a bit more than just a mono synth with paraphonic capabilities.

Also if there is a sequencer on board...please include ratcheting. Moog now has it in nearly all their synths and the ASM Hydra Synth has it too.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1035 on: September 19, 2019, 05:53:41 AM »

Well. no one can be certain as for what the reason is other than that Inhalt is selling his Pro-1 because "he know something we do not"... by that I conclude, that this thing that he knows, is the direct reason for him to sell his Pro-1 ... and with a machine as sought after as the Pro-1, I just asume that the new thing must be able to get rather close to the Pro-1 in tone... I might be wrong, but that is just my guess...

But one thing I'm certain off... it will not be just a Pro-1 clone... Dave never repeat his synths, so IF it will be a modern take on the Pro-1, it will (even if it sounds 100% like the Pro-1) have loads of other features as well...

As I wrote, we'll just have to wait and see... but the chances it's be a Pro-3 is pretty good with the trademarking of the Pro-3 name.

Anyway, it's not a synth that will fall into my current cattegory, so I'll take it pretty calm whatever it is... I'm not a Sequential user anymore, and I doubt I ever will be again for several reasons.

LoboLives

« Reply #1036 on: September 19, 2019, 08:25:12 PM »

Anyway, it's not a synth that will fall into my current cattegory, so I'll take it pretty calm whatever it is... I'm not a Sequential user anymore, and I doubt I ever will be again for several reasons.

I'll give that about 1-2 months before we see another page on your thread ;) with something Sequential.

Shaw

« Reply #1037 on: September 19, 2019, 09:56:16 PM »
Famous Last Words

OceanMachine

« Reply #1038 on: September 20, 2019, 12:43:46 AM »
Dear Sequential,

I will never quit you.

Yours truly, ATE

« Reply #1039 on: September 21, 2019, 06:50:10 PM »
Personally I'd like to see:

1.  A Dave Smith designed competitor to the Moog ONE, but not quite as unnecessarily ambitious.  Let it be a 3 or 4 VCO polysynth that takes it's cues from the Oberheim Xpander.  SEM-and-Prophet VCO's in the same machine with Prophet Curtis and SVBP style filters which can be put in a-b, b-a sequence and mixed, with modulation routings out the yang.  61-key and module. 

or

2.  Tempest 2.0.  And bring the house.  State Variable filter with BP and notch (which sounds great on percussion), Rossum LP Filter, samples mixed with analog synthesis, fx. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 07:02:01 PM by station2station »
Oberheim TVS 1a | Antonus 2600 | Sequential Prophet 10 | DSI Tempest | Roland RD-2000 | Martin 000-28 Modern Deluxe