Next New Sequential Instrument

LoboLives

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1000 on: August 29, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »
To be honest...I don't think we will see a new Sequential synth this year. I think it'll likely be early next year.

« Reply #1001 on: August 30, 2019, 01:43:11 PM »
I have to agree that earlier next year might be more likely.  I was hoping them to at least announce a general plan of what it might be coming, especially in light of the Summit arrival soon.  When that didn't come I began thinking next year, and perhaps something quite different.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LoboLives

« Reply #1002 on: August 30, 2019, 02:25:22 PM »
I have to agree that earlier next year might be more likely.  I was hoping them to at least announce a general plan of what it might be coming, especially in light of the Summit arrival soon.  When that didn't come I began thinking next year, and perhaps something quite different.

I still feel the Summit made Sequential rethink a possible Prophet 12 successor. Honestly if they come out with a mono synth then it would be obvious that’s the case.

blewis

« Reply #1003 on: September 04, 2019, 03:35:16 AM »
Wow, so the next Sequential will be delivered along with simultaneous competition from the Summit, Super 6, and ASM Hydra and the already existing Quantum, and the Moog One. (UB-Xa and the MFB8 aren’t concrete enough, but might be here within 2020)

Amazing. That’s a window from $2k-$8k USD with architectures going from digital to daylight. Intriguing as to how they’re going to fit in and inspire their customers in light of their competition.

That’s an environment where someone could replace their entire existing setup with gear built in just the last year!

Ive never seen anything like this personally. I’ve only been in the synth game since 2002.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:50:48 AM by blewis »

LoboLives

« Reply #1004 on: September 04, 2019, 03:56:29 AM »
Wow, so the next Sequential will be delivered along with simultaneous competition from the Summit, Super 6, and ASM Hydra and the already existing Quantum, and the Moog One. (UB-Xa and the MFB8 aren’t concrete enough, but might be here within 2020)

Amazing. That’s a window from $2k-$8k USD with architectures going from digital to daylight. Intriguing as to how they’re going to fit in and inspire their customers in light of their competition.

With everyone focusing on digital/wavetable and FM synths now....perhaps it's better they do a larger scale VCO based synth and try and get Poly Aftertouch on the keybed for it and price it reasonably to give them a bit of an upper hand against the Moog One.

Either that or an expanded/updated Poly Evolver. 20 Voices, FM, Wavetables and VCOs. 4 part multitimbrality. Voice allocation.

Perhaps though...they might not even do a synth...they may just do a multichannel midi sequencer...although there's a lot of competition in that market right now too.

blewis

« Reply #1005 on: September 04, 2019, 08:44:43 AM »
If they go hybrid, I think they have to include a VCO so that their hybrids are seen as having something different.

Remember when they said "Vintage with a twist". They new tag might be "Hybrid synthesis - Evolved". You get my drift.

I actually am feeling like they have to go backwards to the Evolver to differentiate from what's in the highly competitive environment. And everyone wants an Evolver. I've not seen a single person on forums say "no way" to an updated Evolver - even if they have their own particular dream synth. Everyone can settle on a Revolver.

I think I'm with you on this one. For me, it has to be a big VCO poly, or an updated Evolver. Or some big surprise that I don't even know I want yet.

blewis

« Reply #1006 on: September 04, 2019, 08:46:09 AM »
Current mood:

LoboLives

« Reply #1007 on: September 04, 2019, 02:35:44 PM »
If they go hybrid, I think they have to include a VCO so that their hybrids are seen as having something different.

Remember when they said "Vintage with a twist". They new tag might be "Hybrid synthesis - Evolved". You get my drift.

I actually am feeling like they have to go backwards to the Evolver to differentiate from what's in the highly competitive environment. And everyone wants an Evolver. I've not seen a single person on forums say "no way" to an updated Evolver - even if they have their own particular dream synth. Everyone can settle on a Revolver.

I think I'm with you on this one. For me, it has to be a big VCO poly, or an updated Evolver. Or some big surprise that I don't even know I want yet.

Agreed, I know there have been a lot of hints towards a monosynth but I think that would be a huge misstep for Sequential as the market is saturated in those already and you can get small monos for a couple hundred bucks now like the UNO.

A large VCO based synth would be awesome but I can already hear tweak heads bitching and moaning if it doesn’t have a large touch screen in the middle and at least 100,000 modulation destinations.  I honestly just like the KISS approach...two Prophet 6 modules side by side under one hood with split/layer buttons in the middle and instead of a module a lower tier keybed that you can attach on to the synth to control one of the engines across another entire keybed...so a Prophet 10 type concept. 

I think if they do bring out an updated Evolver...a Blue colored synth is a must! Lol I’ve been listening to a lot of PEK demos and to me it still has such a unique sound to it. Even if the Prologue is similar in concept it just doesn’t have that magic of what Dave did on that thing. It was literally almost all his past synths Frankensteined together under a single hood.

blewis

« Reply #1008 on: September 04, 2019, 02:55:12 PM »
Dude, I forgot about the Prologue. It’s really going to be hard to stand out this time around.

Should be very interesting.

OceanMachine

« Reply #1009 on: September 04, 2019, 04:06:51 PM »
The Prophet 10 is awesome, but really, how much of a market is there for such a beast these days especially? I'd imagine a knobby Matrix-12 re-imagining with the VCOs/SEM filters of the OB-6 would be the most desirable if it came in well under the 8 voice Moog One.

LoboLives

« Reply #1010 on: September 04, 2019, 07:39:44 PM »
Paul Dither had some great designs he came up with.

OceanMachine

« Reply #1011 on: September 04, 2019, 09:03:18 PM »
Wow, those are incredible! Both would be the only two synths I'd trade my current setup for. My only tweaks would be some way to select the Prophet patches by category and also give it at least 12 voices. Just call it The Prophet cuz that's what it'd be.

Edit: Sequential should at very least consolidate with Paul for some designs.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:32:18 PM by A Thousand Eyes »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1012 on: September 06, 2019, 08:24:55 AM »
Well... We all fantasize about a synth that meet our own needs, so that is what I'll do now, and not a synth that either me or you would have dreamed that I would want... But with my current switch to 100% semimodular synths, this is where my longings are.

One thing that is common among semimodular synths is, that they are often mono... In fact I do not know many stereo analog 100% hands on synths... Perfourmer, Matriarch and one more from Analogue Solutions I cannot remember the name of.

Another thing is hybrid synths that are 100% hands on, or even just 100% hands on analog or digital synths that are polyphonic. If you want a digital front end on such a synth, you will almost have to combine it yourself in a small eurorack case, since this is the only place to find digital oscillators that are 100% hands on.

I would like to see some more hybrid semi modular synths with 100% hands on, and I do not see why this could not be from Sequential... Maybe a small cool series of these types of synths with the same form factor... A bit like how the Dreadbox Erebus and Nyx also has the same form factor, or the Volcas or Boutiques from Roland... People like to collect small desktop synths that each cover something unique and looks good together.

So what would I like to see from DSI?... A semimodular series based around simplified aspects of their previous work, and of course new stuff. Every parameter with it's own knob/button plus patch points to control them using eurorack standards.

I could imagine a hybrid Prophet X oscillator that would play a single sample loaded from an SD card for example and a few knobs and buttons to tweak the sample, and then the usual analog filter and vca behind it, maybe even a digital FX engine in the end, as long as it is tweakable via knobs and buttons.

I could imagine a semimodular build around the Curtis chip, or a downsized P12 oscillator... It is basically just about cooking the current technologies down to something that can work in a simplified hands on, one knob per function way.

There really are a hole in the marked for semi modular desktop synths with hybrid technology in them... Synths that can be played and tweaked, and has no need to be programed, no need for presets... I really see this dead area now that I have gone completely semimodular. Any desktop synth with something hybrid almost always stores presets, and with it comes the double function knobs and menu diving which completely screws the hands on feel and playability... Some more than others... The appeal of the analog ones is that what you see is what you get, and the patch points is what lets you be extra creative and broadens the flexibility of otherwise relatively few parameters.

But I doubt Sequential would ever catch on to this idea... So I simply may have to create my own muckups in a small eurorack... Man I wish I knew electronics well enough to start creating my own such series of synths  ::)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:28:51 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #1013 on: September 06, 2019, 02:26:56 PM »
I think any semi modular based synths Sequential do will likely a collaboration with Oberheim with an SEM based Four Voice with CV galore across the top like the TVS Pro was. I doubt it though. Dave helped bring instant patch memory to analog synths..why would he make a synth with no patch memory?

Tonda

« Reply #1014 on: September 07, 2019, 01:41:28 AM »
I'm mostly a live performer and for me, modular based synths won't work.

Although I love my P12, a successor would be very welcome. What I like to see is a new Sequential which combines the strength of their current instruments.

The base should be the P12 oscillators (yes, i like digital), but with more wavetables, the ability to load your own wavetables or maybe to build wavetables like with the new Hydrasynth. The supersaw of the PX included. FM and AM of course (for this only I would never sell my P12). The oscillators should be high resolution, like the Novation Summit/Peak. The filters of the Pro2, but preferable stereo, like the PX. The character section, the feedback and the 4 delays of the P12. Oh, and a poly unison mode, please! The sequencer of the Pro2. An improved multi effect section. At least bi-timbral. Poly aftertouch would be very welcome!

Well, I keep dreaming :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1015 on: September 07, 2019, 06:27:56 AM »
I think any semi modular based synths Sequential do will likely a collaboration with Oberheim with an SEM based Four Voice with CV galore across the top like the TVS Pro was. I doubt it though. Dave helped bring instant patch memory to analog synths..why would he make a synth with no patch memory?

But I'm sure you're right... and I kind of said that in the end of my wishful thinking... exactly because he has always been a preset guy... he more or less invented it afterall.

In theory, I would not mind preset memory... you CAN make a 100% hands-on synth with preset memory, you just need to slim down the parameter set, so everything may fit the panel... but the reality is, that as soon as presets come in, then they want to enhance the flexibility so much, that in some aspect, you get either double function knobs ruining the 100% hands on idea, or a hell of a lot of "under the hood" features, like with the MOOG Minitaur and Sirine.

The P6 and OB6 is actually the closest I've seen yet from Sequential... but I find those to be too expensive for what I'm after, which is mainly monophonic/paraphonic semi modulars in the price range of what a TETRA cost back then.

Regarding semi modular synth though, it's not possible to include preset memory like this, simply because the patch point defy any kind of registering the connections and setting them up from a preset... not unless the patch points were dummy patch points, that only sense what is connected to what, and stored this internally, being able to internally making that patching again... I don't think anyone would want to do this though.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 06:30:13 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #1016 on: September 11, 2019, 07:48:01 AM »
Is it blasphemy to say I hope to see the disappearance of potentiometers, in favor of infinite rotary encoders combined with some form of parameter indication local to each encoder?

The indication could take the form of a curved LED bar graph encircling each knob.

Loading a patch could display all the front panel parameters immediately.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1017 on: September 11, 2019, 10:09:08 AM »
Is it blasphemy to say I hope to see the disappearance of potentiometers, in favor of infinite rotary encoders combined with some form of parameter indication local to each encoder?

The indication could take the form of a curved LED bar graph encircling each knob.

Loading a patch could display all the front panel parameters immediately.

As much as I understand the usefulness, it's also common that rotary encoders end up skipping values being erratic in behavior etc... this is probably the biggest reason why so many hate them (myself included)... I do not know why manufacturers cannot make encoders that work reliably, also in the long run... but I've yet to see encoders that is satisfactory to me.... on top of that, there is a live tweaking element with encoders that is just not very tweak-friendly... it gives a better feel when you have a set start and stop on a knob... it makes filter sweeps etc. via an encoder really hard to do reliably... so I guess the fight is between live control use, and actual preset editing... with editing the use of encoders in multifunction knobs are very handy (if they work that is)... but for performance tweaks, they really suck big time.

blewis

« Reply #1018 on: September 11, 2019, 11:18:58 AM »
The Nord G2 had it right: LED encircled encoders and the encoders had good weight and torque and the UI response of the LEDs to knob turning felt like the right amount of throw. To me they feel like a pot (without the stops) and with all the advantages of a visual encoder.

It’s surely more expensive. Probably less reliable, but man was it totally cool! I stupidly thought it was the future. Now no one does it.

« Reply #1019 on: September 11, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
I do not know why manufacturers cannot make encoders that work reliably.
I'm sure better ones exist, so it probably comes down to costs in hardware, and also processing: Unless the encoder includes a dedicated counter circuit, it relies on the CPU to count pulses and determine direction.  I really like the one used for volume on my car's infotainment system, but that might not handle the demands of synth service.
I guess the fight is between live control use, and actual preset editing...
I think you're exactly right.  I love building patches, and almost never use my synths in a live setting. While I'm recording, I almost never twist a control knob.  I program it to use pitch/mod wheels, velocity, aftertouch or foot pedal so I don't have to.
The Nord G2 had it right.
I was not familiar with that one, but I looked it up.  It looks like it only had the encoders for 8 parameters, so you couldn't really see all the parameters at a glance.  I suppose the quantity was limited by cost and front panel real estate.

I'm sure there's a perfect control/display object out there waiting to be invented...