My Tempest OS will not upload to Tempest

My Tempest OS will not upload to Tempest
« on: March 18, 2017, 03:41:07 PM »
Hello fellow Tempest Owners,

I am having trouble uploading OS 1.4 from my PC to the Tempest.  Everything looks right and I followed the instructions from the DSI video but once after the install my Tempest does not do the countdown and it does not upload.  The Tempest looks like it's getting the info because the pads randomly light up like it's getting something.  I have the Midi mode on the Tempest set to USB and I have tried using different amounts on the low level output buffers. Still nothing.  Oh yeah my O.S is 1.2.0.8, 1.2 for the sounds, 1.2 for the panel, and 1.1 for the Sam.  HELP! 

RobH

Re: My Tempest OS will not upload to Tempest
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 05:54:09 PM »

I am having trouble uploading OS 1.4 from my PC to the Tempest.  Everything looks right and I followed the instructions from the DSI video but once after the install my Tempest does not do the countdown and it does not upload.  The Tempest looks like it's getting the info because the pads randomly light up like it's getting something.  I have the Midi mode on the Tempest set to USB and I have tried using different amounts on the low level output buffers. Still nothing.  Oh yeah my O.S is 1.2.0.8, 1.2 for the sounds, 1.2 for the panel, and 1.1 for the Sam.  HELP!

Try using Elektrons C6 program to transfer the sysex instead of midiOX if you haven't already.

Also try upgrading the voice first not the OS, i'm sure i read for the latest OS you needed to do the voice first iirc. good luck!

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 06:21:17 PM »

Try using Elektrons C6 program to transfer the sysex instead of midiOX if you haven't already.

Also try upgrading the voice first not the OS, i'm sure i read for the latest OS you needed to do the voice first iirc. good luck!

I have not tried the Elektron C6 but I am seriously considering it.  Also, When I downloaded the 1.4 OS it looked like 1 file, not 4 separate ones. 

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:25:55 PM »
Also, I am also considering going for the latest Beta OS over 1.4 if that's the final OS.  I want the best OS available regardless of if it's complete or not.  Any recommendations on where and how to install that joint??   ???

RobH

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 06:31:09 PM »
Also, I am also considering going for the latest Beta OS over 1.4 if that's the final OS.  I want the best OS available regardless of if it's complete or not.  Any recommendations on where and how to install that joint??   ???

Most of the guys who frequent the forums use the latest beta, you get two files one for the voice and one for the OS, there is a thread pinned to the top with the files in http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,586.0.html

both files are attached to the bottom of the first post

the LFO sync is broken but most of the main bugs are fixed in the latest beta, its pretty good, defo download Elektron C6 its a much better program, i uploaded some sound files to my Tempest with midiOX and they were all buggy, when i uploaded them through C6 they worked perfectly.

edit - I don't think you have to upgrade the voice first, but you do have to upgrade them both, there is also some tips on if your OS didn't install properly in the beta post, worth a read. Try C6 and if that doesn't work try a different midi out if you have a hub or an different soundcard or something. Good luck again!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:34:04 PM by RobH »

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 06:37:36 PM »

Most of the guys who frequent the forums use the latest beta, you get two files one for the voice and one for the OS, there is a thread pinned to the top with the files in http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,586.0.html

both files are attached to the bottom of the first post

the LFO sync is broken but most of the main bugs are fixed in the latest beta, its pretty good, defo download Elektron C6 its a much better program, i uploaded some sound files to my Tempest with midiOX and they were all buggy, when i uploaded them through C6 they worked perfectly.

edit - I don't think you have to upgrade the voice first, but you do have to upgrade them both, there is also some tips on if your OS didn't install properly in the beta post, worth a read. Try C6 and if that doesn't work try a different midi out if you have a hub or an different soundcard or something. Good luck again!

Thanks man I'm going to try it for sure.  Bummer about the LFO sync.  That's one of my favorite things to do.  Game Cube

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 10:43:21 PM »

And it has been noted many times that you must update using the MIDI DIN port prior to OS 1.3, as MIDI over USB is not functional on Main OS 1.2 or earlier.

Cheers!

RobH

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 11:06:07 PM »

And it has been noted many times that you must update using the MIDI DIN port prior to OS 1.3, as MIDI over USB is not functional on Main OS 1.2 or earlier.

Cheers!

Ah I wasn't aware of that! Sorry for my ill informed advice :)

Use a midi port not USB! thanks grunes!

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 12:54:06 AM »
Hey just a heads up I was able to update the OS and Voice OS using the MidiOX not the Elektron C6.  Thanks for the help.  I used USB I just had to keep doing it over and over and over and adjusting the Low level output buffers until I found the right amount. 

RobH

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 02:37:25 AM »
Hey just a heads up I was able to update the OS and Voice OS using the MidiOX not the Elektron C6.  Thanks for the help.  I used USB I just had to keep doing it over and over and over and adjusting the Low level output buffers until I found the right amount.

Glad you found a way to work it! Honestly tho get C6 man, its much better, really easy and straighforward if your going to upload and sounds etc in the future.

idm

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 03:54:32 AM »
By the way, lfo sync is not broken in its entirety. It just drifts when set to beat or play reset modes.

RobH

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 05:04:23 AM »
By the way, lfo sync is not broken in its entirety. It just drifts when set to beat or play reset modes.

Play mode doesn't work for me its wrong, i can get a sync in off mode although i did think there was a problem with that also?

Glad you told me that, free running sync seems to work for me without drift, and well, if it does drift its not sync'd and thats whats the "broken" part, so are we all agreed we can use free running sync without problems?

PS - for anyone who is going to try free running sync LFO after reading this, you need to assign a voice in order to get free running sync to work, as per the original manual, before you think its not actually working! Protips x
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:06:09 AM by RobH »