Assigning a different pitch to a pad in 16 Sounds Mode?

Assigning a different pitch to a pad in 16 Sounds Mode?
« on: March 17, 2017, 02:08:42 PM »
Newb question: When I'm in 16 sounds mode, is there a way to assign a different default pitch to a pad without changing the tuning of the oscillators?  I basically want it to play a pitch that I can currently only hit by going into 16 Tunings mode.

Thanks.

Re: Assigning a different pitch to a pad in 16 Sounds Mode?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »
Newb question: When I'm in 16 sounds mode, is there a way to assign a different default pitch to a pad without changing the tuning of the oscillators?  I basically want it to play a pitch that I can currently only hit by going into 16 Tunings mode.

Thanks.

Why don't you want to change the pitch of the oscillators?  I mean, you've just cited two very reasonable options, both of which were specifically implemented to facilitate this very scenario:

1) Play the sound in '16 Tunings' mode, effectively allowing you to transpose the sound to any pitch at any time.
2) Tune the oscillators such that your sound has the base pitch that you need directly from the pads in '16 Sounds' mode.

And if you need both, that's why you have 32 pads to play with: i.e. simply copy the sound to two different pads, keep one tuned to middle 'C' or whatever, and tune the oscillators on the other to whatever pitch you need as a one-shot.

I'm not seeing the problem to be honest.

Cheers!

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »

Thanks.

Why don't you want to change the pitch of the oscillators?  I mean, you've just cited two very reasonable options, both of which were specifically implemented to facilitate this very scenario:

1) Play the sound in '16 Tunings' mode, effectively allowing you to transpose the sound to any pitch at any time.
2) Tune the oscillators such that your sound has the base pitch that you need directly from the pads in '16 Sounds' mode.

And if you need both, that's why you have 32 pads to play with: i.e. simply copy the sound to two different pads, keep one tuned to middle 'C' or whatever, and tune the oscillators on the other to whatever pitch you need as a one-shot.

Cheers!

Thanks for the detailed reply! Very understandable question. 

The digital oscillators only go down 24 steps and there's a pitch lower than that I'd like to hit as the default.  From what I understand I can push the digital oscillators even lower using an Aux Envelope and the mod matrix, but I was curious to see if there was another way to just change the "root note" somehow and I was missing it.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »

Thanks.

Cheers!

Thanks for the detailed reply! Very understandable question. 

The digital oscillators only go down 24 steps and there's a pitch lower than that I'd like to hit as the default.  From what I understand I can push the digital oscillators even lower using an Aux Envelope and the mod matrix, but I was curious to see if there was another way to just change the "root note" somehow and I was missing it.

I see.  Um, no, the only way you're going to get any lower with digital oscillators is either by using the "Sine 130.81 Hz" wave sample, or using '16 Tunings' mode as you've already discovered.  Sorry.

Cheers!