Pro 2 BETA OS 1.2.3.0 - Discussion

Pro 2 BETA OS 1.2.3.0 - Discussion
« on: March 17, 2017, 05:44:31 AM »
New firmware, new thread.... post all your thoughts/experiences here.

For DSI support:
A big thankyou for being so responsive to the user requests and troubleshooting here so far. Hopefully we can continue like this and get the Pro-2's OS absolutley rock-solid.
When I raised a call around 1.5 years ago I was told that you were tallying up all the bug reports and feature requests and were going to try and implement the most requested ones. Do you by any chance have a schedule or list of things which you're working on or would like to fix/implement over the coming weeks/months? I'm assuming that certain things are a higher priority than others.

From a personal perspective I'd absolutely love the arp to sync exactly in-time with midi beat clock (and for the sequencer to stay in time and keep running when switching patches - this would be so useful for playing live whilst slaved to a master clock as it means I wouldn't need to use an external sequencer).

If possible, it'd certainly be good from a user-perspective to know your plans :).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:51:37 AM by binman_uk »

Re: Pro 2 BETA OS 1.2.3.0 - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:46:50 AM »
Hello, i have installed OS 1.2.3.0. Every Time i try to use the new sequencer paraphonic mode, the Pro2 produces a hanging note and i have to switch off the device.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »
Hello, i have installed OS 1.2.3.0. Every Time i try to use the new sequencer paraphonic mode, the Pro2 produces a hanging note and i have to switch off the device.

First off, do you have any MIDI running to and from the synth via MIDI DIN or USB?  If so, please disconnect all MIDI connectivity from the synth and check whether the behavior you noted is still present.

If it is, please post step by step instructions to make the issue occur when starting from a basic patch.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »
I get the same result using the paraphonic sequencer. It hangs and I have to restart.

- removed MIDI and USB cable
- turned MIDI clock mode to Master
- created the most basic paraphonic patch starting from "Basic Program" (a saw on each oscillator with some volume)
- switch sequencer to paraphonic
- try to program first note and it makes a sound and then freezes

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 01:08:11 PM »
At first i disconnected the Midi cable (USB was not connected). Then i switched the device on and chose in the Misc Params  Key Assign Paraphonic. I programmed a simple sawtooth Patch for Oscillators 1-4. Then i switched the sequencer button on and on Seq Misc i chose on.
Then i held sequencer button 1 down and played a chord and the issue occured.
The same issue happened when i hit the record button, then played a few chords and meanwhile hitting one of the sequencer step buttons.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 01:18:31 PM »
Great, I'm seeing that here as well.  I'll add it to our list.

Thanks!
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

mosen

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 01:50:14 PM »
Same issues here

holding down 1 step while press 1,2,3,4 notes freezes the pro2 (in paraphonic mode)
--> would be great to enter chords which uses track 1-4 while just entering a chord on track 1

entering singel notes into track 1-4 works well. First 4 seq tracks are note/gate tracks for the according osc`s.
With different track lenghts, instant polyrhytmic bliss :-))) very good!

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 10:42:32 PM »
Paraphonic recording is so much fun! I'm also having the freeze problem when trying to record 4 notes at once, but when I enter notes on each of the four note tracks is working well. This is awesome.
Also, I see that we now have track mutes which is great, but we lost the "clear track" function.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:39:12 PM by mentalik »

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 02:54:06 AM »
nice update , but could it be possible to add "rests" as input-option for the sequencer ?

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 03:18:11 PM »
I'm still having trouble with paraphonic sequencer mode.

I did set both the Keyboard and Sequencer Modes to Paraphonic, and succeeded in recording Track 1 and 2, but as soon as I record Track 3, only Track 1 and 3 remains and Track 2 will be erased leaving only "*" marks instead of recorded Note Names and Velocity Values. I'm recording only monophonic lines per track. No chord performances recorded to the tracks.

I did succeeded in recording all 4 tracks only at the very first time. After that, never works. I' m plugging nothing but the power cable and the headphones to the PRO2, no MIDI, no USB cables being connected. I'm using it as a standalone synth run by internal clock.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 03:21:14 PM by NemoSynth »
prophet 12, PRO2, mono evolver KB, Hikari Duo, Cobalt5S, Hydrasynth Explorer, microFreak, 0-Coast, 0-CTRL, ensoniq VFX-SD, Kurzweil PC361, Roland V-Synth, SH-4d, JD-XA, TB-3, A-50, KORG 800DV, wavestate, modwave, kaossilator 2, volca nubass/modular, SQ-1, iOS/Mac

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 05:44:21 PM »
Can anyone briefly describe what the paraphonic sequencer does??  Can you record a chord into the sequencer?

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 09:32:41 PM »
Can anyone briefly describe what the paraphonic sequencer does??  Can you record a chord into the sequencer?

It dedicates Sequencer Tracks 1 to 4 to notes, each track for each oscillator. In theory you should be able to record chords, playing four notes at once, but that's freezing the synth right now. What I did is recorded each track independently, here's the first thing I did:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fubfoox574...st_02.mp3?dl=0

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 09:35:14 PM »
I'm still having trouble with paraphonic sequencer mode.

I did set both the Keyboard and Sequencer Modes to Paraphonic, and succeeded in recording Track 1 and 2, but as soon as I record Track 3, only Track 1 and 3 remains and Track 2 will be erased leaving only "*" marks instead of recorded Note Names and Velocity Values. I'm recording only monophonic lines per track. No chord performances recorded to the tracks.

I did succeeded in recording all 4 tracks only at the very first time. After that, never works. I' m plugging nothing but the power cable and the headphones to the PRO2, no MIDI, no USB cables being connected. I'm using it as a standalone synth run by internal clock.

I was having the same problem, but then (somehow) got to record the four tracks.

NLB

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 05:09:37 AM »
nice update , but could it be possible to add "rests" as input-option for the sequencer ?

+1

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »
I have a lot of trouble trying to record envelope movement via midi CC messages. The parameter value isn't reflected in real time at all during recording (amp envelope, but I guess it's probably the same with other envelopes)

Playback seems to work fine though

Ableton live 8.4.2 on Mac OSX 10.9.1

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 03:08:28 PM by phisynth »

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 05:19:01 AM »
"2.Bug Fix: lag when transitioning between cue'd sequences via the playlist"

I am very curious to hear if someone has verified if this really works now. That would be the main reason for me to upgrade OS. It would be great if it was possible to shift between different sequences on the fly without any "stumbling".

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 09:42:59 AM »
I have a lot of trouble trying to record envelope movement via midi CC messages. The parameter value isn't reflected in real time at all during recording (amp envelope, but I guess it's probably the same with other envelopes)

Playback seems to work fine though

Ableton live 8.4.2 on Mac OSX 10.9.1

btw, it really sounds like it is related to the problem discussed here :

http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,822.0.html

regarding the inversion between parameter recording and playback for all envelopes sections, and presented as a "feature" by DSI but I still have a hard time not considering it as a bug

Ph
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:45:25 AM by phisynth »

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 04:09:01 PM »
I installed the latest OS and was able to paraphonically record sequences from the get go.  I'm blown away.  Somewhere (I forget) in the editing process I was able to get the machine to hang/freeze.  But this is a huge new feature!  Even cooler when you start modifying the length of each of the four tracks to loop at separate points in the sequence.  Amazing!!  I was minutes away from purchasing the OB6 for its polyphonic sequencing - I was just able to test drive one at my buddy's house - when I decided to check the new firmware and boy was I overjoyed!~

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 05:21:38 PM »
We are aware of the crash bug.  It occurs if you have paraphonic recording on, track 1 selected, a step button held, and a key is pressed.  We should have a fix available in the near future.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 07:46:18 PM »
The 1.2.3.2 BETA OS is up and fixes the aforementioned crash.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim