Tempest + Warm Audio WA76

RobH

Tempest + Warm Audio WA76
« on: March 16, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »
 This is my first go with the compressor so if u have any tips for me let me know!!!

Does that sound as good to you guys as it does to me??

That is the dry recording into Live @ 48k 24bit then normalised in Audacity at default settings which i think took it down to 16bit from 24bit but other than that not touched!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sq1sjvxmiqyv98d/T%20Normal.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frerw09n2fsax2n/T%20WA76.wav?dl=0

Re: Tempest + Warm Audio WA76
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »
This is my first go with the compressor so if u have any tips for me let me know!!!

Does that sound as good to you guys as it does to me??

That is the dry recording into Live @ 48k 24bit then normalised in Audacity at default settings which i think took it down to 16bit from 24bit but other than that not touched!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sq1sjvxmiqyv98d/T%20Normal.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frerw09n2fsax2n/T%20WA76.wav?dl=0

Well, compression is a pretty subjective thing.  I think it sounds good.  It has subdued your clap in places, but that's to be expected given that the clap is sharing the back-beat with your tom (or kick).  Anyway, I'm not hearing any overlap on the release that is otherwise draining other elements in the beat, and the level of pumping that you've achieved isn't gimmicky or anything, so...

If you like what you hear, and it's what you were going for, that's all that matters (grin).

Cheers!

RobH

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 07:03:06 PM »
It was literally just a test beat in comparison to the dry beat i was kinda suprised how good it sounded just from the few minutes i spent quickly shooting through the ratio setttings!

I have a question about this subject though if anyone knows!

When using a compressor in this manner should i be running my drum machine as loud as possible or should i be ramping the gain up with the compressor?

I only ask this because i'm really new to hardware compressor and also i get a buzz from my Tempest using certain volumes which i recall once being told a long time ago to always use a loud original signal, at the moment though my gain knob on my soundcard is literally at its minimum level and i can't work out if this is a good or bad thing?

The gain meter on the compressor goes off the scale lmao, I mean, is this a bad thing like a car when its going over the red???

RobH

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 07:58:06 PM »
It has subdued your clap in places, but that's to be expected given that the clap is sharing the back-beat with your tom (or kick).

Thanks for listening, some of the claps are accidently pitched up by +17 lol

oops

Its not the compressor doing that i dont think lmao

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 08:16:16 PM »
It was literally just a test beat in comparison to the dry beat i was kinda suprised how good it sounded just from the few minutes i spent quickly shooting through the ratio setttings!

I have a question about this subject though if anyone knows!

When using a compressor in this manner should i be running my drum machine as loud as possible or should i be ramping the gain up with the compressor?

I only ask this because i'm really new to hardware compressor and also i get a buzz from my Tempest using certain volumes which i recall once being told a long time ago to always use a loud original signal, at the moment though my gain knob on my soundcard is literally at its minimum level and i can't work out if this is a good or bad thing?

The gain meter on the compressor goes off the scale lmao, I mean, is this a bad thing like a car when its going over the red???

You're actually asking three different questions here.  The first is about what level to feed your compressor, and the second is about noise floor, and the third is about gain structuring in general.  I'll start with the last one and work backwards, since that would be the order in which you'd adjust these things.

With regards to the level you're feeding your sound card, ideally you want to feed it something close to a "unity" signal.  Assuming your card has a VU meter, the ideal input signal would be one that has your gain knob somewhere close to its center position (most have some kind of "unity" marker or center-detent) and shows a peak level on the meter bouncing anywhere from, let's say, -10db to -2db.  This will give you the best signal to noise ratio, generally speaking.

As for where the Tempest's master volume should be, and the noise that you're hearing when you turn it up too loud, that is not as easy a question to answer concisely.  First of all, the Tempest is just noisy, and that noise is going to show up no matter where in the signal chain you boost it.  With that in mind, it's always better to have a stronger signal at the source, because the further down the chain you boost levels, the more noise you're going to accumulate from other sources.  But the Tempest is a synthesizer, so gain structuring does not start with its master volume: it starts with how you build your sounds, and concerns every parameter from the oscillators to the amp... That's a long conversation unto itself though, so I won't go into that.  As an example, however—and I do this for a living, so let's pretend that I know what I'm doing (smirk)—all my sounds are normalized such that I get a "unity" signal (from the main outputs) when my Tempest's master volume is set around 12 o'clock (*that's without using the onboard compressor or distortion).  But you also need to take into account the volume of your pads in the Tempest's mixer section (I balance all my sounds with the mixer channels all set to '100', so I still have a little overhead).  All this changes if you use the individual voice-outs though, so you see, gain structuring within the Tempest can be a complicated task.  Lot's of variables.

When it comes to the compressor, you first have to understand that compressors don't boost signal, they only attenuate it.  So the unaffected signal going into the compressor should be responsible but nevertheless robust.  Again, you're looking for a peak level somewhere between -10db and -2db depending on how dynamic your source material is (just remember, it's the peaks that matter, not the average).  From there, pick a ratio that suits you, adjust the threshold until you're seeing some gain reduction (*this and your attack and release settings are completely subjective and depend entirely on what kind of effect you're going for, so I can't advise you there without more specifics), then use the compressor's output gain to make up any lost volume if necessary, again keeping peaks just below "unity".

I hope that all makes sense.  It's a deep topic with a lot of variables to consider.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:38:54 PM by John the Savage »

RobH

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 08:29:12 PM »
Yes that makes sense thankyou for the explanation!

dsetto

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 12:47:30 AM »
I've only listened via cheap speakers at the moment. But, it's nice to see & hear, um beats, on this forum. Thanks, Rob. (Great info, John.)

RobH

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 03:02:28 AM »
I've only listened via cheap speakers at the moment. But, it's nice to see & hear, um beats, on this forum. Thanks, Rob. (Great info, John.)

That was half the reason i dropped the thread. We need some content around here!!!

There so much focus at the moment on whats missing that the huge range of goodness available i think is being missed!!!

Anyone else want to share some nice sounds they manage to get go ahead i'd love to hear what quality people manage to achieve making beats with the Tempest!

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 04:11:18 AM »
Well this isn't really a 'beat' per se but here's a blog post with a bunch of videos showing some videogame music and fx I've just finished.

All the fx are done with the Tempest and a couple of external fx (reverb, delay, waldorf 2-pole). The background music also utilises the Moog Sub 37 and Mother 32 (though I think the 'upgrade' theme was all Tempest). No samples apart from noise (and that infrequently).
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

RobH

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 04:50:23 AM »
Well this isn't really a 'beat' per se but here's a blog post with a bunch of videos showing some videogame music and fx I've just finished.

All the fx are done with the Tempest and a couple of external fx (reverb, delay, waldorf 2-pole). The background music also utilises the Moog Sub 37 and Mother 32 (though I think the 'upgrade' theme was all Tempest). No samples apart from noise (and that infrequently).

Wow dude thats so fucking cool!!!

The music fits the style of game perfectly!!! Nice blog man +1

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 05:46:26 AM »
Thanks!  :)
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher