I've got a drift issue (running 1.4.5.1)

dsetto

I've got a drift issue (running 1.4.5.1)
« on: March 17, 2017, 03:06:25 PM »
I've got a drift issue. I've written about it everywhere except here. I'll seek your guidance here. Thanks.

RobH

Re: I've got a drift issue (running 1.4.5.1)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 03:16:56 PM »
I've got a drift issue. I've written about it everywhere except here. I'll seek your guidance here. Thanks.

Not sure another thread was really warranted, I'm sure the people that frequent the forums read the top 5 posts anyway, which at any given time will be maybe 4 of your threads there, anyway.

Come back when you've tested with Abelton, then at least we have a bench as thats the DAW i'm running also and i have it stable, to be honest for playing and recording a drum machine abelton is where its at anyway you should just buy it fuck pro tools until your mixing!

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 03:27:47 PM »
dsetto,

You really have to stop flooding the forum with these sync issues; or at very least, can you please to keep them to one thread?

So he starts another (face-palm).  Serenity now, serenity now, serenity now...

dsetto

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 04:18:16 PM »
I'll try another DAW, instead of my Pro Tools 12.4. Rob, thank you for confirming 23 ms drift is too much; and for your Ableton results.

---
John, cut me some slack.

RobH

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »
One thing I thought of is to make sure your sending midi clock and not midi timecode.

Also I don't use protools but is there anything like a project length setting that you maybe need to make longer and it drifts when it goes past the current set project length? Just throwing ransoms out in case it's just an oddball reason.

dsetto

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 04:50:21 PM »
Thanks, Rob. Great thoughts. Pro Tools is sending Midi Beat Clock, via USB connected directly to my late 2011 13" MacBook Pro. And, the project length is automatically very long; longer than I'm using.

dsetto

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 06:27:20 PM »
I quickly attempted sync and drift test in Logic at high tempos. Seems good. I am currently going on that my drift issue is due to Pro Tools, not Tempest.

RobH

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »
Good good. Logic is da best! I wish I could afford another mac. My 07 Mac Pro was the old version that didn't run true x64 or some small change they made that meant it didn't get any is upgrade after a certain point ruined its performance and started crashing. I had to bounce to pc which tbh isn't that bad it's rock solid stable. My only real gripe is windows lol...

dsetto

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 01:47:47 PM »
In time, I intend to follow through on your specific Ableton recommendation. Logic was my quicker option. I believe your recommendation to try a DAW other than Pro Tools - for a better MIDI Beat Clock sync experience - is on the money.

RobH

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 05:52:41 PM »
Don't get me wrong if i could have logic on my PC i surely would, I actually love logic and i'm sure newer versions (I last used Logic 7) may have even more features that abelton has for the loop/record mentality, but, Abelton has one thing in its arsenal that makes it fucking amazing. Its just stupidly simple and quick and easy multitrack sequence recording and programming!

You don't lose any sound quality, it has all the plugin capability of Logic or Cubase but its just so damn quick for knocking ideas out. For recording a full band or drumkit etc I would defo just use Logic or ProTools but for playing vinyl and drum machines etc Abelton wins out by its pure simplicity.

I remember back when they first brough abelton out and i was using acid loops at the time, and I saw them demo it in a local city and my friends didn't quite understand what was so good about it but i wouldn't stop talking abount it haha telling them how amazing it was!

Years later and its basic format remains the same. Its just one of those strokes of genius that will be a part of music for a long time now.