What was your favorite beta OS?

Stoss

What was your favorite beta OS?
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:03:31 AM »
Now that Dave Smith has put an end to the torture of simultaneously fixing and breaking things and letting his loyal users figure out what happened, it's time to discuss which of the beta OS releases was your favorite. Since we'll never have an official release of the OS where everything works, you can choose which features you want working and which you do not want working and install the beta OS that fits your needs.

Here is a list of the versions I have on file.

Discuss

dsetto

Re: What was your favorite beta OS?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »
that is gold.

dsetto

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 10:09:20 AM »
1.4.5.1. cause it got me in a fight with you & Savage.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 11:13:52 AM »
Funny. You have to laugh - else you'd cry.

Was there one where LFO sync actually worked?

To be honest I've completely lost track of what worked when and where and what was 'pilot error' on my part.

Apart from the LFO sync the most annoying thing for me with the one I'm currently on appears to be SPP always jumping a bar ahead in time which I thought was a Logic issue but from what others are saying it seems like that could be yet another Tempest bug.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Stoss

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:59:01 PM »
Very early on Glide Modes FixedRate A & FixedTime A actually worked. I remember sequencing a bass line using the feature. it was super cool. I'm pretty sure Chris broke that when he was trying to fix the flam issue. I don't know which beta OS lines up with what features any more, but if I was brave I'd run through them all... just for the joy of it.

1) I'd love to experience that Legato Glide again... just a taste.

2) I'd love to experience the flam bug, just to relive old times when Chris was trying sell that as "expected behavior". I think he didn't quite get the difference between programmer "expected behavior" and user "expected behavior". Good times.

3) I certainly would like to enjoy a time when the LFO synced properly. There's a feature you can take for granted... and then when it's not working... wow... so wrong.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 03:15:03 PM »
I miss the simple luxuries, like being able to turn the Mixer 'Level' knob while playing a sound without it killing the sound...

(rolling my eyes)

Honestly, if I could go back to whenever it was that we first added odd time signatures - before the arp, before the external sequencer, before the compressor envelope, and so many other slapdash implementations - I would.  You know, the Tempest that we read about in Operation Manual 1.0.  Ah, that was a vision; yes, a simple thing of beauty on paper.  But sadly, those first few operating systems were a mess too.  It's all so embarrassing.

And what have we learned?  If you ever build a drum machine, kids, don't turn you back on it till it's done.

Cheers!

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »
1.4.5.1. cause it got me in a fight with you & Savage.

Too funny!  Ah, memories and milestones (smirk)...

RobH

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »
I'd like an OS where I can load a sound on the fly without my beat slowing and clipping. I guess someone can make a Tempest OS guide for us with the pros and cons of each :)

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 05:38:58 PM »
Man...I wouldn't know where to start. I was hoping to find an O/S with LFO sync...wasn't sure one existed...great thread. Would love to see a short list.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

dsetto

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 01:01:08 AM »
Is there an OS where Tempest could sync as slave to a DAW and not drift? (This isn't sardonic or philosophical. I like really want to know.)

Stoss

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 07:16:15 AM »
Is there an OS where Tempest could sync as slave to a DAW and not drift? (This isn't sardonic or philosophical. I like really want to know.)

No DAW use here. Just me, my Tempest, and a drum set! (Well, maybe just a couple other things) 😀

I remember DAW sync being an issue for people on and off. The discussions usually centered around timing adjustments on the DAW side rather than any fix with the Tempest. But I'm not really the person to speak to this matter. Good luck.

dsetto

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 08:49:47 AM »

Stoss- Drumset. Super Tempest companion!

Re: timing on DAW side. I believe I've got that figured out. For a given set of DAW audio engine parameters (sample rate predominantly), there is a delay, typically static, that encompasses DAW Midi Beat Clock send, external MIDI instrument receipt, note playback, and DAW audio capture. With a distinct transient sound played on a downbeat, like T click, the distance between the supposed DAW grid downbeat and the recorded, delayed external instrument downbeat sound is measured in samples. Then, in the DAW, the Midi Beat Clock sent to that external instrument, is advanced earlier, i.e., to be sent earlier by that delay amount. In my test yesterday at 44.1kHz, my delay between my system and Tempest was 203 samples. In Pro Tools, I set the Midi Beat Clock offset to -203. Once that's set, it's wonderfully tight. Even listening to two clicks grooves. When I hear the T slave click in the pocket of the Pro Tools master click, it's really nice. When in Beats mode, I star triggering with Quantize Beat off, various non-quantized two bar Beats I sequenced, all 3 things in sync- it's _______ magic.

That is why my current obsession is to ascertain drift isn't happening as a result of the Tempest.

Drift is: when the tight lock-step timing relationship between the two timing devices, here DAW and Tempest, drift apart, in a gradual fade-away kind of way. A cool musical effect in certain vistas, but not for tight rhythmic collaboration between DAW and Tempest. Recreating drift as a drummer could be fun, purposefully painful to the rhythmic ear.

A cool feature for a different timing-based instrument:
Drift Glide.
Set glide amount. Engaged like Roll button. (Either engaged only when pressing, or for on/off for successive presses.) When engaged, Drift Glide releases timing lock, by Drift Glide amount.

Toooo much rambling. And you likely know that DAW setup stuff. I decided to flow with it in case someone else was curious but to shy to ask. All in the name of driftlessness. John tells us that's in the Last Beta. That is good.

Stoss

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 09:14:47 AM »
^All this technical garbage just to get a computer to think like a human expects... ugh. And it's us humans who will someday soon have to consider the possibility of merging with machines to our advantage? Seems to me the machines will get the better end of that bargain! ;)

dsetto

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 11:15:07 AM »
Will they remember we helped them? Will MIDI 1.0 still be?
(I hear you on tech.)

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 12:34:48 PM »
Sorry if this isn't the most appropriate place to post this (I literally just got a Tempest this week and have started to sift through the message boards), but in which Beta OS does the LFO Sync break?  Does the LFO Sync stop working altogether, or is it only in certain situations like if it's receiving clock from a DAW?

RobH

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »
Sorry if this isn't the most appropriate place to post this (I literally just got a Tempest this week and have started to sift through the message boards), but in which Beta OS does the LFO Sync break?  Does the LFO Sync stop working altogether, or is it only in certain situations like if it's receiving clock from a DAW?

I'm not sure when the LFO sync breaks but in 1.4.5.1 its not working properly.

Unfortuneltly its the best OS and there won't be another update so, basically as it stands either keep the OS you have on your Tempest now and live with the bugs that are in that OS, or upgrade and have less but slightly different bugs.

Most prefer 1.4.5.1 because it is a fair bit better it just broke the LFO sync.

Sorry mate we all a bit sore about that one.

Cole

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 01:29:51 PM »
So what is the last update? I'm very confused to what I should be running on my machine.

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 01:36:13 PM »

Unfortuneltly its the best OS and there won't be another update so, basically as it stands either keep the OS you have on your Tempest now and live with the bugs that are in that OS, or upgrade and have less but slightly different bugs.

Thanks for the reply!  Just to clarify, is the LFO Sync completely broken in 1.4.5.1 or is it only in certain specific situations?
Looks like I've got 1.4.0 on my machine right now.

RobH

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 01:58:48 PM »

Thanks for the reply!  Just to clarify, is the LFO Sync completely broken in 1.4.5.1 or is it only in certain specific situations?
Looks like I've got 1.4.0 on my machine right now.

Well, yeah it doesn't keep in sync lol, so erm, i guess you call that broken. Whether this detracts from your sound i guess thats specific, but lets just say that you wont be able to do any sweeps with the lfo and that kind of thing because it doesnt stay in sync.

I've personally not gone to the length of frustrating myself to find out that it doesn't work, so the nuance of it you'll have to find out for yourself.

1.4.5.1 is a better OS for me personally.

I can't really tell you more than that, the LFO doesn't stay sync'd, so if you just imagine how that would break things you might want lined up and tight in your sounds.

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 04:44:48 AM »
Hey dudes,

Do any of you have a comprehensive collection of all the Tempest OS files to date please?  DSI strangely only seem to have some of them !!!?!?

Cheers, J