Pro 2 BETA OS 1.2.2.8 - Discussion

Re: Pro 2 BETA OS 1.2.2.8 - Discussion
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 11:04:49 AM »
Sorry to pee on the parade, and I didn't try the beta so far, but I am a bit disappointed by the very limited set of new features. Is it final at this oint or can we expect something else ?

Hi phisynth. Though this round offers largely maintenance updates, it's still a solid improvement to the Pro 2, and the added features are ones that were highly requested by Pro 2 users. We will return to the Pro 2 OS again, though we can't say exactly when this will be. The Pro 2 is already a feature rich synthesizer, though of course we all have our pet features that we would like to see implemented. At the end of day not every requested feature can (or should) be implemented, but we try hard to make all of our instruments feature rich and intuitive to use.
SEQUENTIAL

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 11:10:17 AM »
I guess it's a "feature" not a "bug" since my OB-6 does the same thing. But with Local Control turned off on the Pro-2, you cannot change patches from the front panel. Actually, the indicated patch number WILL change, but the actual patch will not. This is particularly problematic if you want to control the Pro-2 with another keyboard connected to your DAW, since there is no way to change patches on the Pro-2 short of sending MIDI program changes messages from your DAW. The fact this "bug" has existed for so many years, and has not been fixed here, makes me assume DSI considers this to be OK? I suppose, in a Draconian sort of way, it makes sense -- except that none of my other synths have behaved this way over the years.

Given the case you described, you would pass the MIDI output data from the Pro 2 through the DAW and back to the Pro 2 while also passing MIDI data from your other key board controller to it.

Just checked and the sequencer is reset to the first step when the sequencer RESTART parameter is on and a MIDI STOP message is received.  I suggest you check whether RESTART is on or off when you encounter the issue you described.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 12:30:44 PM »
I suggest using NRPN 1035 to turn Local Control on an off remotely.

Unless one frequently must use DAWs that don't support NRPN...  ;)

And also, using NRPN sort of implies the synth must always be connected to a computer in order to turn Local Control on/off without menu diving. And this is most definitely NOT the case (in fact, it's the very reason why the synth itself needs such an, umm, "local" methodology to quickly switch Local Control status).