Ideas for a basic lead patch.

Ideas for a basic lead patch.
« on: March 15, 2017, 10:48:50 AM »
I was thinking about the violin and expression when I decided I should make a new basic patch to use as a starting point for my P12 leads. The idea is to, with time and practise get used to having the sliders and wheels doing the same thing so it becomes second nature to play that cofiguration...just like for a violinist.

But then the question is. Which parameters to assign to which controllers?

I think one slider, or maybe expression pedal for amplitude.
Mod wheel for vibrato.
How much pitch bend?
Obviously there should be some velocity to amplitude as well.
I don't know what to do with the aftertouch on this synth, it's too on or off.

Looking forward to hear your ideas :)
Finishing songs is for loosers... *Cue overproduced 8-bar loop made entirely from a processed sample of my tears splashing aganst my empty wallet.

Re: Ideas for a basic lead patch.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 04:01:38 PM »
I'm not quite going along the violin line because I'm after changes in timbre, but we clearly share an interest in useful expression control.
 I agree about the aftertouch and always use it for some kind of distortion which requires less subtlety.

I also stuck with vibrato or other LFO effects on the mod wheel. I often make multipart voices controlled by 2 stereo volume pedals and 2 effect pedals, and if I use feedback its is usually somewhere on the pressure sliders.

I would have made more use of velocity combined with extra Envelopes but I have been running out of space in the Mod Matrix.

This poorly produced video (8.5 mins) shows the set up using one of my 220 voices, but it has few musical merits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PTn2mSeN3w

Re: Ideas for a basic lead patch.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 11:44:08 PM »
@DS- it really depends what kind of sound you want to evoke from the lead sound.  In my experience, simpler is the better.

As for a lead patch, sounds like you want a patch that has the flavor of a violin, but have the modulation capabilities to go outside the safety zone.

My strategy is to keep it very simple and hence playable.

Loud and bright-  adjust the velocity so it plays louder when the note are hit harder.at the same time, have the low pass filter open some when it is played harder.  Both would have to be understated and adjusted so the two complement each other.  You may want after touch to adjust amplitude, but it may be too much to effectively control. If you do so, do likewise for the filter so you can get more of a growl.

Mod wheel some light vibrato.  Pitch wheel no more than 3 - 1/2 steps (I often do 2)
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.