DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation

eXode

Re: DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation
« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2016, 05:04:48 AM »
Two Legends. One Instrument.

The OB-6 is a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration between two of the most influential synth designers in history — Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim. It’s an all-analog, 6-voice poly synth with voltage-controlled oscillators, a state-variable filter, and voltage-controlled amplifiers, inspired by Tom’s original SEM design — the bedrock of his legendary 4-voice and 8-voice synthesizers.

Manufactured and sold by Dave Smith Instruments, the OB-6 features six discrete analog voices with two oscillators (plus sub oscillator) per voice, continuously variable waveshapes with triangle, sawtooth, and variable-width pulse waves, X-mod with 2 sources and 5 destination, a 64-step polyphonic step sequencer, dual digital effects that include faithful recreations of Tom’s acclaimed phase shifter and ring modulator, a full-featured arpeggiator, and a powerful, in-your-face, sonic signature like no other instrument.

This analog powerhouse is packed into a four-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, making it perfect for stage or studio.

Source: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/dave-smith-instruments-ob-6-6-voice-analog-synthesizer

dslsynth

« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2016, 05:16:19 AM »
Ups, that was an early leak! Hehe! Nice guessing by the forum members! Sounds perfect with the SEM electronics as base. Wonder if it will be marked as a Sequential or DSI product? I hope it will be Sequential!

Two pole state variable filter assumed. Not a bad idea! Looks like the core is build on the technical soul of Prophet-6.

So the travel Dave returned from was most likely that Sweetwater event some time ago (ref pyramind talk).

Thanks a lot for the reference, eXode!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2016, 05:52:31 AM »
Beautiful.  Will it look more like an Oberheim or a DSI?  I can't wait to see it.  In spite of the identical price, I suppose the Prophet 12 will still remain the flagship.

Thanks for being on the ball, Exode, while the rest of us slept.

eXode

« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2016, 05:59:36 AM »
Beautiful.  Will it look more like an Oberheim or a DSI?  I can't wait to see it.  In spite of the identical price, I suppose the Prophet 12 will still remain the flagship.

Thanks for being on the ball, Exode, while the rest of us slept.

It's nothing, It's almost 3 PM here across the pond. ;)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #224 on: January 21, 2016, 05:59:54 AM »
I got mixed feelings about this... to me it sounds a bit like a P6, just with SEM filters... this will NOT be inexpensive for sure... and does anyone know if it will have full MIDI specs and preset memory?...

It could be interresting, but right now I'm thinking "pass"...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

dslsynth

« Reply #225 on: January 21, 2016, 06:02:41 AM »
@Razmo: Most likely with full MIDI specs just like the Prophet-6. Will see how DSI reacts to my tooling suggestion but I am sure there will be a full MIDI spec.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #226 on: January 21, 2016, 06:04:58 AM »
Musician's Friend lists it for $3,000.  Yes, the big question is, how will this significantly differ from a Prophet 6?  After all, it is a DSI product, rather than an Oberheim.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:07:08 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2016, 06:07:31 AM »
Reading the link, the oscillator specs sounds very much like the P6 oscillators... I'll bet it's the exact same voiceboards, which has nothing to do with Oberheim... then the filters are SEM style, which is probably the same curcuit Dave used for the Pro2.... and then digital FX with Oberheim emulation FX...

Is it just me, or does this sound like a Prophet 6, where just the filters has been swapped out, and a few changes to the FX has been added?

I must say... I'm not getting one... I also dissed the P6 recently, simply because I want the most flexible engine, and that still belongs to the P08 in my opinion.... but it'll probably sound amazing, I do not doubt that... it's just not for me :) ... I hope DSI have other news to present than this, otherwize NAMM has been rather disappointing until now (for me at least).... but hey!... I'll save a lot of money then! :D

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2016, 06:09:31 AM »
Also... search the net for "Arturia MatrixBrute ;)

eXode

« Reply #229 on: January 21, 2016, 06:10:08 AM »

Or just look in the other thread on this site... ;)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #230 on: January 21, 2016, 06:12:31 AM »

Or just look in the other thread on this site... ;)

Yeah... word spreads FAST today :D ... I sort of guessed I was too late allready ha ha!

dslsynth

« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2016, 07:54:53 AM »
I must say... I'm not getting one...

Just do what I do all the time whenever DSI launches a new product: admire the well sounding ingredients and keep wishing for a more expressive voice combing the sonic impact of the Prophet-6 and OB-6 oscillators/filters with a complex voice architecture features from Pro 2 and Prophet 12. Depending on how the cake ingredients are mixed at DSI with just a little bit of common sense such a voice are going to happen one day. Essentially DSI/Sequential gotta progress from sound or features to a sound and features kind of voice.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #232 on: January 21, 2016, 07:56:15 AM »
Not sure what to think of this. I guess I keep waiting for the official announcement.

dslsynth

« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2016, 08:05:39 AM »
Not sure what to think of this. I guess I keep waiting for the official announcement.

I think its a great idea. Helps Tom Oberheim bring a polyphonic instrument to the market with all of the experience that DSI have developed over the years including a well working hardware and instrument support channel. Plus that Tom Oberheim did not have to reinvent polyphonic instrument digital control before he could bring his machine to the market. That is great for everyone involved!

As for those that bought a Prophet-6 right before NAMM I am sure the analysis will be that one want both instruments. After all that is how Dave plan things.

Hope DSI manages to send Tom Oberheim a good check for this collaboration as life in the US are not exactly getting cheaper as people age.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:07:24 AM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

chysn

« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2016, 08:12:04 AM »
The OB-6 is a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration between two of the most influential synth designers in history — Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim.

Once-in-a-lifetime? They've already collaborated several times during my lifetime. That's marketing for ya.

It's potentially a great instrument, but I'll be a bit disappointed if it's all they've cooked up this time around, seeming so close in many ways to the Prophet 6.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2016, 08:12:27 AM »
Hopefully it's maturity that has us pause, rather then jump like giddy children, at the announcement of a new instrument.  I ask myself one question over and over: Sure, it's new.  So what.  How will this new instrument help me to produce  music better than the instruments I already have or that are already available? 

Perhaps the new one will be better than the Prophet 6.  I hope it is.  But still....

dslsynth

« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2016, 08:32:48 AM »
Perhaps the new one will be better than the Prophet 6.

Its probably a variation of Prophet-6 with new Oberheim style circuits so it will look kind of the same but sound different. Its probably a two pole filter which is not possible with the Prophet-6. So for only $5800 one can get both two and four pole filters! ;)

Eagerly looking forward to see the presentation video.

Wondering if my reaction to the instrument would be different if I did not had that spoiler beforehand?
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2016, 08:43:07 AM »
I must say... I'm not getting one...

Just do what I do all the time whenever DSI launches a new product: admire the well sounding ingredients and keep wishing for a more expressive voice combing the sonic impact of the Prophet-6 and OB-6 oscillators/filters with a complex voice architecture features from Pro 2 and Prophet 12. Depending on how the cake ingredients are mixed at DSI with just a little bit of common sense such a voice are going to happen one day. Essentially DSI/Sequential gotta progress from sound or features to a sound and features kind of voice.

To be honest, what I'm waiting for is some kind of sampler oscillator with analog filters.... still... I have minimized my setup so drasticaly now, that I'm only going for stuff that can actualy add something new to my synthesis options... not just some new filter, or new oscillator curcuit etc.

I have space for four stereo synths, and four mono synths.... that's it... I've sold my V-Synth GT, and are also selling my VL70-m ... why? ... I have to realize, that digital does not interest me at all... they sound nice, but they do not kick my sound design genes...

So now I've got PER, P08 and P12, and are looking for ONE more stereo synth with preferably sample oscillators, and polyphony... I know it's going to come someday, it's just a matter of time.

The mono's are my Sub37, and yes... you were right... I'm getting the two Jomox drumsynths again to take care of percussion needs. That leaves yet another mono, and then I'm done...

That mono will most likely be a modular setup... that way I can build upon it with new modules, and I've got Waldorf's wavetable one in mind, and maybe also a sample oriented oscillator... seems to be some nice ones out there.

So... a new OB-6 will deliver nothing specificly new for my usage... Neither will Minilogue.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:44:47 AM by Razmo »

dslsynth

« Reply #238 on: January 21, 2016, 08:46:07 AM »
::) . o O ( GAO )
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks