DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation

dslsynth

Re: DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2016, 05:01:38 PM »
However, barely anybody seems to know the Evolver, which kind of tells me that people are more attracted to pure analog stuff.

Or just that the Evolver happened before DSI became really well known? Also the analog punch of the Evolver is different compared to Mopho/Tetra because of differences in the hardware implementation. I could easily see the potential of a pure analog signal path and complex modulations supplemented with digital oscillators/feedback/delays for added sonic potential.

Also I don't really want DSI to make more monophonic modules. Rather make two or four voice modules with plenty of expressive power packed into an attractive package. That would make much more sense given how the marked is evolving these years with plenty of other low cost options. So we are at least in the $600 to $800 range.

I'm pretty sure they know the risks and benefits of their choices much better than we ever could through our guesswork. Perhaps one flagship instrument brings in as much profit as 10 "affordable" ones? There sure are very good reasons DSI's business is the way it is.

Possibly, but honestly and as harsh as it may sound I don't really care for DSIs nor Sequentials business models. I care for products that interests me and that I have a chance of affording some day.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2016, 05:10:14 PM »
However, barely anybody seems to know the Evolver, which kind of tells me that people are more attracted to pure analog stuff.

Or just that the Evolver happened before DSI became really well known? Also the analog punch of the Evolver is different compared to Mopho/Tetra because of differences in the hardware implementation. I could easily see the potential of a pure analog signal path and complex modulations supplemented with digital oscillators/feedback/delays for added sonic potential.

I think these thoughts are already too complicated. Most people don't even care about complex modulation options in terms of quantity. I once brought my Pro 2 to a synth meeting and maybe 3 out of 20 people cared because it must have appeared too intimidating. On the contrary, people like the immediacy of something like the MiniBrute, the Odyssey, or a Sub Phatty. Someone also brought a Prophet 12 module once. It was hardly touched by anybody either. Next to it stood a Eurorack system. That's where most people went.

chysn

« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2016, 05:28:14 PM »
I don't think an instrument maker has to represent all price points in their lineup. If you want a dreadnought acoustic guitar that says "Taylor" on it, you're starting at $1500US. If you want a Schilke trumpet, you're starting near $3000US. A really good synthesizer is usually reasonably-priced compared to other high-end instruments. I don't care if they ever produce another $400 tabletop synth, but I wouldn't mind seeing them start at $1500 for a monosynth keyboard.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2016, 05:50:36 PM »
DSLSynth, don't give up on DSI.  They're a company going through some changes, for certain, but I don't think they've completely turned their back on their recent past.  I would expect something small-ish and less expensive at some point, probably a replacement for the Mopho Module.  With all the brains now stalking the DSI offices, I'd say the ideas are bigger and more complex than ever.  Hence, the tendency towards "jewels."   But I doubt it will continue to be exclusively jewels.

« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2016, 05:59:50 PM »
DSLSynth, don't give up on DSI.  They're a company going through some changes, for certain, but I don't think they've completely turned their back on their recent past.  I would expect something small-ish and less expensive at some point, probably a replacement for the Mopho Module.  With all the brains now stalking the DSI offices, I'd say the ideas are bigger and more complex than ever.  Hence, the tendency towards "jewels."   But I doubt it will continue to be exclusively jewels.

I doubt that too. And keep in mind that a possible collaboration with Tom Oberheim doesn't necessarily have to mean that there is going to be another product for $3,000. Even if that would be the case I couldn't see them giving up on more affordable gear. Maybe, though, the brand Sequential will become to DSI what the Custom Shop is to Fender.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »
On the topic of Tom Oberheim, and possibly related to this collaboration theory, a while back Tom mentioned in a talk he gave on the Two-Voice Pro that he would soon be coming out with a large polyphonic synthesizer.  That would have been either last summer or the previous one.  Obviously it never happened.  Perhaps this has become a collaboration with Dave.  And that would make for a very unexpected type of instrument, just as Dave most recently mentioned.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 06:39:11 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2016, 06:26:31 PM »
That's what I was thinking too, yes. It seems to be more and more likely.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2016, 06:35:32 PM »
Found it!  Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/6zIAeSeDVQg?t=29m47s

Another piece of the puzzle?

« Reply #168 on: January 16, 2016, 07:03:29 PM »
That could have also been the modules from last year, right?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2016, 07:07:49 PM »
Oh, the modular units?  I doubt it.  He seemed to be referring to a large polyphonic instrument - something bigger than the old Oberheim synthesizers.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 07:27:54 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2016, 07:26:15 PM »
Oh, the modular units?  I doubt it.  He seemed to be referring to a large polyphonic instrument - bigger than the old Oberheim synthesizers.

Hmmm, I interpreted the "bigger" as a hint at modular systems, but of course I could be wrong. He just seemed to be so definite about the Curtis chips, that's all.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2016, 07:29:27 PM »
Yeah, you could be right.  It just didn't sound like a bit-by-bit type instrument, but more like an OB-X.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:48:09 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2016, 07:57:54 PM »
Yeah, you could be right.  It just didn't sound like a bit-by-bit type instrument, but more like a OBX.

Yeah, you might be onto something here. The OB-X is pre-CEM, so no Curts chips needed. Basically, it seems like I posted the wrong pic all the time. It should rather be something like this:

Or this:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:16:46 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2016, 12:25:11 AM »
I think these thoughts are already too complicated. Most people don't even care about complex modulation options in terms of quantity. I once brought my Pro 2 to a synth meeting and maybe 3 out of 20 people cared because it must have appeared too intimidating. On the contrary, people like the immediacy of something like the MiniBrute, the Odyssey, or a Sub Phatty. Someone also brought a Prophet 12 module once. It was hardly touched by anybody either. Next to it stood a Eurorack system. That's where most people went.

I have to whole heartedly agree with this, this is the main reason the Nord Modulars did not sell well. Absolutely amazing synths but far too complex for the average synth player, actually the majority of synth players!

The eurorack stuff is interesting as it seems to be spreading from it's roots of people interested in synthesis to a wider audience. The P12/Eurorack example you gave is interesting as the little P12 module sitting there was also really a modular system most likely with many more modules than the eurorack sitting next to it!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2016, 01:48:11 AM »
This just leaked... it was a coorporation between Haba and Dave Smith Instruments, a Lotus Flute named "Portamento".

Cheer up DSLSynth! ... finaly something in the lower market price range!  ;D

Specs:

Monophonic
Compact
Wooden ends
1 analog oscillator with a wide pitch range
1 modulation unit (routable to pitch... audio rate modulation capable, if you're fast!)
Built in Breath Controller
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:54:12 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2016, 09:37:27 AM »
So Tom is up to something: the Marion Systems Tom Oberheim SEM Plus.  Note the four-parameter envelopes - a huge improvement over three.  This could be a superb supplement to a partly digital instrument like a Pro 2.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:42:44 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

eXode

« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2016, 10:29:47 AM »
So Tom is up to something: the Marion Systems Tom Oberheim SEM Plus.  Note the four-parameter envelopes - a huge improvement over three.  This could be a superb supplement to a partly digital instrument like a Pro 2.

Yes. It also has added triangle waveforms to the oscillators, you can mix the osc waveforms, noise, the LFO is remade to multi-waveform, more modulation options overall, all changes over the original design. :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:32:06 AM by eXode »

« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2016, 10:53:48 AM »
Very useful changes as well.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2016, 11:05:43 AM »
Tom's SEM and SEM Plus have such great potential, and yet his Two-Voice Pro is far beyond what most of us can afford.  He should take one of these new modules, add a 3-4 octave keyboard, and give us a mono synth for about $1400, something like an OB1.  Oberheim has such a great sound, but it's wasting away.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:26:13 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

eXode

« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2016, 12:29:56 PM »
I'm curious to know if DSI have now abandoned the low cost market (i.e. MoPho/Tetra, etc). The Prophet 12, Pro-2 and Prophet-6 have all been high end products compared to some of their other offerings. Not even sure what I'd like to see either, I guess some people are putting their money on a Prophet-1 at some point.