DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation

Sacred Synthesis

Re: DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2016, 02:33:49 PM »
...I can imagine DSI staff sitting there, laughing at all this guessing about  ;D

It's probably the only joy they get in life, so happy to help. Here we go...

Quote from: Paul Dither
Actually, a joint venture isn't too unlikely. Tom Oberheim helped out already on the state variable filter of the Pro 2. And in a recent Q+A session Dave mentioned that the next product would be a surprise.

We're assuming that this is a picture from a part of the new product. Maybe it's not. We know (esp. from the Tempest) that DSI likes a bit of wordplay in their pre-announcement clues. "Portamento" is a near-homophone for "portmanteau," which refers to a word that arises from combining two previously-existing words (e.g., paratrooper and... um... fleshlight). So the new instrument could be a hybrid of some type, either architecturally, or as a joint or cooperative venture.

To take this ridiculousness ever further, a portmanteau was also a suitcase with two large compartments. So perhaps an instrument built into its own case (think ARP 2600).

I think DSI should give a prize to the person that comes the closest to guessing the new instrument.  It could be a yearly sport here.

I was raised on synthesizers that used the exotic term "Portamento."  It's the norm for me, and I always found the term "Glide" to be a bit banal.

« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2016, 02:34:58 PM »
"Glissando" is what makes notes glide, but in notation language. The effect is of course the same.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2016, 02:38:26 PM »
IIRC, 'portamento' was intended to be a smooth ramp from pitch to pitch on other instruments; 'glide' was (or could be) a discrete transition from pitch to pitch (think the intro to Loverboy's "Turn Me Loose", which may have been on a P5).

The proper term for that should be "Glissando," which some synthesizers do have.

Well, the official DSI explanation has always been this: "Glide or portamento causes the pitch of a note to glide up or down from the pitch of the previously played note."

According to use, "Portamento" means a perfectly smooth transition from one note to the next, whereas, "Glissando" means a stepwise change, as when you play a chromatic scale. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »
This is how The New Harvard Dictionary of Music defines Glissando:

"A continuous or sliding movement from one pitch to another."

But it then describes how one makes a glissando on a piano, which obviously would produce a succession of pitches, rather than a true glide.  However, a glissando on a violin would produce a synthesizer-like portamento.  I think the solution here (since the synthesizer is such a unique instrument) is to use "Portamento" to refer to the perfectly smooth slide, and "Glissando' to refer to the stepped slide.

« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2016, 03:10:32 PM »
On the DX7 you have the choice between portamento and glissando which provide the appropriate respective pitch transitions. Nothing ambiguous about it. One's smooth, the other discrete.
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2016, 03:24:20 PM »
Excellent.  And that makes sense, since Yamaha has a long heritage of producing traditional musical instruments.  Hence, they take their music theory seriously.

« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2016, 03:32:59 PM »
Excellent.  And that makes sense, since Yamaha has a long heritage of producing traditional musical instruments.  Hence, they take their music theory seriously.

And this really shows in the admittedly very complex implementation of the DX7 and it's excellent manual. Designed from the ground up to be as good an emulation of traditional instruments as possible while giving the programmer and player as many options of articulation as possible. I have nothing but respect for that instrument.
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2016, 03:34:29 PM »
Well, yeah, strictly speaking I should have said the effect is the same on instruments that allow for bending in order to alter the pitch. Since glissando can be applied to a consecutive number of notes, you'll of course hear the single notes on a traditional keyboard instrument.

« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »
… and now for something completely different…

Pic 1 shows the font in the teaser, pic 2 the font of the Prophet-6, and pic 3 the font of an OB-Xa. The correspondances become obvious when you look at the letter 'E'. This is not the latest font that was used on a Sequential instrument.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 03:40:06 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2016, 03:39:59 PM »
Interestingly, ARP, Korg, and Oberheim have used the term "Portamento," while Sequential Circuits and Moog have used "Glide."  That this parameter should be chosen as our NAMM hint might suggest some sort of change.  And I can hear the DSI staffers laughing at us. 

« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »
Rather, the font type corresponds with the one that was used on the Prophet 12 and Pro2, which in turn is very similar to the one used on Oberheim synths. Look at the rounded 'F' and 'L' for example.

« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2016, 03:48:07 PM »
Well, it seems you guys did crack the riddle! It's obviously the same typeface as the Oberheim synth.

Can't wait to see what will spring from this alliance!
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC

dslsynth

« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »
Anyway, I think its fair to say its yet another jewel!

Its not that I am losing interest in DSI/Sequential. But honestly I wish they would remember their roots in compact powerful affordable low voice count desktop modules and actually make such goodies again.

. o O ( generative speculations )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2016, 03:55:02 PM »

Its not that I am losing interest in DSI/Sequential. But honestly I wish they would remember their roots in compact powerful affordable low voice count desktop modules and actually make such goodies again.

Just like Apple should remember its hobbyist computer kit roots? By this point I wouldn't bet much on it.
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC

« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2016, 03:55:54 PM »

Hmmm, but remember that Dave also said that there are going to be a couple of releases, so I wouldn't give up on that yet. I could see, however, that there might be less affordable products in the future compared to what has been around in the past. With all the things Korg is currently doing, it's probably hard for DSI/Sequential to compete. They might say to themselves that they should stick to the higher end pro market entirely then. Not sure, but it could be plausible. Yet, I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

Also: Developing too many pieces for the mass market instead of focussing on the development of new flagship products was one of the reasons that made Sequential go out of business. "Mass market" is of course a euphemism, since the analog and whatsoever market is clearly a niche.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 04:03:15 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2016, 04:14:32 PM »
Now let's see, I want a Rickenbacker guitar, a Prophet 6 with 61 keys, a Prophet 11 (Prophet 6 with double keyboard) and an IOS Prophet 6 app for 10 bucks. ;-)

dslsynth

« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2016, 04:30:02 PM »
They might say to themselves that they should stick to the higher end pro market entirely then.

The trouble is that they lose a lot of potential customers by going all in on jewels so its a risky route to go. Better continue the current jewel line supplemented here and there by making more affordable low voice count desktop modules using goodies initially developed for their flagship line. That would allow more customers to use modern day DSI/Sequential products while letting Dave continuing his flagship desires most of the time.

Anyway, DSI didn't pass their affordability exam at this NAMM either.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2016, 04:38:57 PM »
They might say to themselves that they should stick to the higher end pro market entirely then.

The trouble is that they lose a lot of potential customers by going all in on jewels so its a risky route to go. Better continue the current jewel line supplemented here and there by making more affordable low voice count desktop modules using goodies initially developed for their flagship line. That would allow more customers to use modern day DSI/Sequential products while letting Dave continuing his flagship desires most of the time.

I'm pretty sure they know the risks and benefits of their choices much better than we ever could through our guesswork. Perhaps one flagship instrument brings in as much profit as 10 "affordable" ones? There sure are very good reasons DSI's business is the way it is.
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC

« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2016, 04:43:17 PM »

I agree. It might not pay off with regard to the sheer analog market anymore, though. To be honest and without knowing how representative that is, a lot of people I know that are into hardware synths have owned a Mopho or Tetra at best. So that might proof your assumption right. However, barely anybody seems to know the Evolver, which kind of tells me that people are more attracted to pure analog stuff. The reputation of DSI is okay in the lower cost segment, but it's not the first company most people are looking towards when it comes to affordable analog gear. That has been mostly Korg, or in the shape of VAs, Roland in the past, and both companies have more capacities to produce at a lower price.

We don't really know that yet. Even if it's a joint venture of DSI and Oberheim, that doesn't mean it has to be super expensive. And as I said above, Dave recently hinted at more than just one new product.

« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2016, 04:50:30 PM »
Plus: I know quite a few people that make a decent income, but still go mental about the minilogue, the Korg Odyssey, or the Arturia Beatstep Pro, but not about something like the Prophet-6, which to date seems to be the best selling instrument Dave has ever released. So there must be a market for that. It's just not the folks you run into on a daily basis.