DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation

Re: DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2016, 11:51:21 PM »
Well, the only strange thing is the change in terminology. If I remember correctly, it used to be called "Glide" since the Sequential days.

« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2016, 05:58:54 AM »
IIRC, 'portamento' was intended to be a smooth ramp from pitch to pitch on other instruments; 'glide' was (or could be) a discrete transition from pitch to pitch (think the intro to Loverboy's "Turn Me Loose", which may have been on a P5).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

eXode

« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2016, 06:30:26 AM »
I don't remember where I read it, but someone pointed out that the E in portamento looks an awful lot like the font used on the Oberheim OB-X/OB-Xa. Also those Oberheim synths used the portamento term. Hires image of the OB-Xa for reference

Wouldn't it be quite unexpected if DSI announced a modern take on one of those Oberheims (with Tom's blessings).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 06:41:33 AM by eXode »

dslsynth

« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2016, 06:52:18 AM »
It could even be a collaboration with Tom Oberheim! Tom have previously been saying that he was working on an analog poly with the same kind of circuits as in the SEM. Who knows if DSI decided to help him out?

Also I would suggest going over all the SCI instruments looking for Portamento buttons to check for alternative inspiration sources.

. o O ( gearmas speculation week )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2016, 08:01:59 AM »
IIRC, 'portamento' was intended to be a smooth ramp from pitch to pitch on other instruments; 'glide' was (or could be) a discrete transition from pitch to pitch (think the intro to Loverboy's "Turn Me Loose", which may have been on a P5).

I don't have Turn Me Loose at hand right now, but Portamento and Glide are used synonymously. Discrete steps between two pitches are called Glissando, often found on Yamaha synthesizers.
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2016, 08:10:17 AM »
...I can imagine DSI staff sitting there, laughing at all this guessing about  ;D

... really... we don't know shit... we just have to wait and see what it is.

But I'm REALLY intrigued... I've always wanted a synth with a portamento button! ... it's groundbreaking synthesis!
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2016, 08:25:06 AM »
I don't remember where I read it, but someone pointed out that the E in portamento looks an awful lot like the font used on the Oberheim OB-X/OB-Xa. Also those Oberheim synths used the portamento term. Hires image of the OB-Xa for reference

Wouldn't it be quite unexpected if DSI announced a modern take on one of those Oberheims (with Tom's blessings).

This.

A big-azz poly-synth collaboration-hybrid "Prophet/OB"
Sequential P6; SCI Pro-One; Moog Minimoog Model D

« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »
Also I would suggest going over all the SCI instruments looking for Portamento buttons to check for alternative inspiration sources.

I did so yesterday. No signs of portamento buttons on Sequential synths, only "Glide".

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2016, 11:10:17 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAQSkSOpSPW/

Check the video in the link above... what is it the guy next to Dave is playing? ... I think this is what we're talking about  ;)

« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2016, 11:13:42 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAQSkSOpSPW/

Check the video in the link above... what is it the guy next to Dave is playing? ... I think this is what we're talking about  ;)

Good catch, Razmo. I was just about to post that one as well. It looks to me like it's the Pro 2. That's at least where it's usually placed in the showroom if I remember correctly from other shots (see below).

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 11:19:03 AM by Paul Dither »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2016, 11:20:44 AM »
Well... it shure looks like the Pro2 now that you mention it... it's a bit tricky to see because there is no color in this video... but what is that keyboard that looks "white" all out to the right in the picture when the cam moves to the right side? ...

« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2016, 11:25:38 AM »
Well... it shure looks like the Pro2 now that you mention it... it's a bit tricky to see because there is no color in this video... but what is that keyboard that looks "white" all out to the right in the picture when the cam moves to the right side? ...

Not sure about that one. Maybe a Mopho in black & white?
On GS, people are speculating, whether this could be a joint venture of Oberheim and DSI. Oberheim used the term "Portamento". Even the font looks similar if you look at the "E" (see below).

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2016, 11:34:15 AM »
I don't know... I't could be, because Tom seems to only do analog... he may have gained Dave's help to make things digitaly controllable with presets etc... the coding part so to speak... but we'll just have to wait and see.

About that white synth... it does not look deep enough to be a Mopho keyboard, but then again... the video is not that good... afterall, the new device may not even be in the video at all...

« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2016, 11:40:23 AM »
I don't know... I't could be, because Tom seems to only do analog... he may have gained Dave's help to make things digitaly controllable with presets etc... the coding part so to speak... but we'll just have to wait and see.

About that white synth... it does not look deep enough to be a Mopho keyboard, but then again... the video is not that good... afterall, the new device may not even be in the video at all...

Yeah, that's what I think. The prototype might have been on a bench somewhere else, not in the showroom, where it's not easy to keep it a secret.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2016, 11:42:54 AM »
The "white" synth is actualy a Mopho Keyboard... just checked.

There are two more keyboards just behind where Dave is standing, but you can see absolutely none of them really...

Guess. we'll just have to wait some more still...

« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2016, 11:49:17 AM »
Actually, a joint venture isn't too unlikely. Tom Oberheim helped out already on the state variable filter of the Pro 2. And in a recent Q+A session Dave mentioned that the next product would be a surprise.

chysn

« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2016, 12:52:56 PM »
...I can imagine DSI staff sitting there, laughing at all this guessing about  ;D

It's probably the only joy they get in life, so happy to help. Here we go...

Quote from: Paul Dither
Actually, a joint venture isn't too unlikely. Tom Oberheim helped out already on the state variable filter of the Pro 2. And in a recent Q+A session Dave mentioned that the next product would be a surprise.

We're assuming that this is a picture from a part of the new product. Maybe it's not. We know (esp. from the Tempest) that DSI likes a bit of wordplay in their pre-announcement clues. "Portamento" is a near-homophone for "portmanteau," which refers to a word that arises from combining two previously-existing words (e.g., paratrooper and... um... fleshlight). So the new instrument could be a hybrid of some type, either architecturally, or as a joint or cooperative venture.

To take this ridiculousness ever further, a portmanteau was also a suitcase with two large compartments. So perhaps an instrument built into its own case (think ARP 2600).
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2016, 02:21:05 PM »
I may be repeating myself, but if the pro 2 is not the successor of something, then why the "2"?

I realize we're splitting hairs over this, but we're probably taking the names too seriously or literally.  The name Pro 2 seems to suggest it's the new Pro 1.  But that would mean, since the Pro 2 is basically one voice of the Prophet 12, that the Prophet 12 must be the new Prophet 5.  And that definitely isn't the case.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2016, 02:24:01 PM »

The proper term for that should be "Glissando," which some synthesizers do have.

« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2016, 02:31:56 PM »

The proper term for that should be "Glissando," which some synthesizers do have.

Well, the official DSI explanation has always been this: "Glide or portamento causes the pitch of a note to glide up or down from the pitch of the previously played note."