« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2016, 01:02:33 PM »
Teaser posted by DSI on their twitter:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:24:52 PM by eXode »

Sacred Synthesis

Re: DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2016, 01:06:45 PM »
Thanks, Exode!  So here we go.

I say it's a...portamento module!

Now isn't this reverting to old synth terminology?  I'm still inclined to use the term instead of the now more popular "glide".
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:08:59 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2016, 01:09:11 PM »
Yeah it lurks pretty sequentially! . o O ( 8) )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2016, 01:14:29 PM »
That's what I'm thinking.  Plus, the Prophet 6 uses the term "Glide," so this may not be directly related to it.

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2016, 01:15:28 PM »
Definitely very Sequentially. A revisited Pro One?

« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2016, 01:16:49 PM »
That's what I'm thinking.  Plus, the Prophet 6 uses the term "Glide," so this may not be directly related to it.

Good observation. This is the first time the word "Portamento" is used instead of "Glide".

dslsynth

« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »
I would not be too surprised if its a Pro One without any preset memory. On the other hand it could be so many other things as well.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2016, 01:45:41 PM »
A Portamento-izer: Bend the cosmic harmony by pressing just one button.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:49:35 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2016, 02:37:50 PM »
I would be shocked if Dave didn't, sooner or later, produce some modern rendition of the SC Pro One.  I'm nearly certain he will, whether or not this is actually it.  The outstanding success of the Prophet 6 could only encourage him the more.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 02:43:36 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2016, 03:30:15 PM »
The only clue in that photo is the knob type, which is similar to the Prophet 6 devices... thus, it is most likely a product with a "Sequential" logo on it... if it's a Pro One... could be... could also be the new "Mopho" in some way... but that could probably easily carry the name "Pro One"... Dave has a tendency to reuse the names, but the synth is nowhere near the originals.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »
I would be shocked if Dave didn't, sooner or later, produce some modern rendition of the SC Pro One.  I'm nearly certain he will, whether or not this is actually it.  The outstanding success of the Prophet 6 could only encourage him the more.

But honestly.... was the Pro 2 not the successor to the Pro One? ... hence the name "Pro 2" !?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2016, 03:33:27 PM »
My guess: A single voice of the Prophet 6... something in that direction...

« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2016, 03:41:13 PM »

But honestly.... was the Pro 2 not the successor to the Pro One? ... hence the name "Pro 2" !?

In a way, yes. In the foreword Dave wrote for the manual it says the following:

With the current demand for all things analog, I’ve been asked many times if I would ever consider reissuing the Pro-One monosynth. My response has always been the same: “You’ve got to keep moving forward.” The simple truth is, I’m happiest creating new instruments—synths that put more power and better sounds into the hands of musicians with every iteration.

But actions speak louder than words, so here’s the last one on that particular subject: the Pro 2. It’s light years beyond the Pro-One in every way and is the culmination of my many years designing synthesizers. It’s also the deepest and most powerful monosynth I’ve ever created, so it should keep you busy exploring the outer limits of sound for quite some time.

Now, I don't know whether Dave's most recent comment about a surprise coming is in any way related to this statement in the Pro 2 manual. Strictly speaking, the Prophet-6 was already a departure of the above mentioned philosophy.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:50:56 PM by Paul Dither »

chysn

« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2016, 04:03:17 PM »
Quote from: Razmo

It'll be the Prophet 1, or something like that.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2016, 04:10:22 PM »

Dave evolves his ideas.  The Mono and Poly Evolver keyboards were advertised as the new Pro One and Prophet 5.  Then the Prophet '08 became a sort of new P5 and the Mopho Keyboard the new Pro One.  And now the P6 is the real new P5.  So, they are at one point, but then they aren't when a new instrument comes along. 

Is the Pro 2 really the new Pro One?  I think the slight name differentiation says it isn't.  Which is to say, a new monophonic Sequential instrument could be called a "Prophet One," and that could be the real new Pro One. 

But this is all just guessing.  Maybe the new Sequential synthesizer will be an entirely new design.  I'm all for that.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:29:14 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2016, 04:19:10 PM »
Also, don't forget that the Mopho brick's motherboard was etched with "Pro One II".
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2016, 04:20:48 PM »
Interesting - I didn't know that.  So that was going to be the Mopho's original name.  I would have far preferred it.

« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2016, 05:07:14 PM »
Maybe it's the answer to this: http://dsiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5659

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2016, 05:16:47 PM »
To answer the original question in that post - yes, I have found DSI's polyphonic glide to be useful.  True, it's not what you expect and can be unpredictable and difficult to tame, especially when playing broken double octaves with your right hand.  But I've found in small amounts that it works well for providing a subtle natural sounding nuance between notes, especially if you're playing contrapuntal music, rather than one chord after another.  It's inconsistent, but you can turn that to your advantage.  It would be nice to have both types of portamento available if possible, but, if limited to only one, I'd rather have the current type.  It makes DSI synthesizers unique from others.  But if DSI is signaling that they're moving on to a new type of portamento with the above picture, I'll be fine with that, too, since I have plenty of the old.

I used glide in this piece.  It's on throughout, but is only triggered here and there.  You can hear it "trip" and even trigger the delay at 8:07, but at other times it makes for a really nice effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HoeM8eiruo

I don't at all mind these little imperfections.  It's part of the analog mystique.  In an age of "perfect" computer-generated music, it's a reminder that some music is still made by living, breathing, imperfect human beings.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:50:11 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2016, 10:26:47 PM »
I may be repeating myself, but if the pro 2 is not the successor of something, then why the "2"?

But i do agree, that the naming at DSI, seems to be rather loose, so you probably cannot guess anything by that.

Still, i really do not give much for This teaser pic... It shows nothing really, exept that it Will Be an SCI product most likely.

One Thing though... If it was to be a one voice P6, the interface would have to be greatly diminished, and an LCD/OLED added to compensate for the P6's knobby interface, otherwise it would get pretty expensive. But if that would be the case, then why put a dedicated portamento button on it?

The portamento button Makes me think that we Are dealing with a bigger product perhaps... Maybe Even something with a built in keyboard. Maybe it is not Low price anyway.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 10:43:46 PM by Razmo »