DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation

dslsynth

Re: DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2016, 12:28:59 PM »
Well DSI got to make a better hybrid machine one day inspired from Evolver/Prophet 12/Pro 2. And yeah a sampler keyboard would be cool. Or who knows something with digital granular synthesis oscillators? There are many interesting options as Dave mentions in the Pyramind interviews.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
I'm sure a new hybrid machine in the vein of the Evolver, Prophet 12, and Pro 2 won't happen within the next 2-3 years. The Prophet 12 is only 3 years old by now and just got a major update. So if anything new will be introduced, it will probably be in a different shape or form. Since DSI/Sequential are relatively small, I find it hard to imagine another flagship synth anytime soon for simply logistical reasons. Maybe one more that offers something all of their other instruments don't. Dunno. What would be cool, though, is if they'd follow the original Evolver route (i.e. a small and affordable instrument) in order to test the waters for new stuff.

dslsynth

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2016, 12:54:29 PM »
What the Evolver can do is filters in stereo and having both analog and digital oscillators which isn't in the product line currently. And it doesn't need to be a flagship instrument. DSI could use a standard case with a standard user interface ala P12M and we would be rolling. Plus smaller voice count to make it more affordable. By having a standard case and user interface for their affordable desktop synthesizers a lot of work will be saved when making a new one. Same old idea, you know!
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2016, 01:30:02 PM »
Maybe I'm just trying to be too realistic. Some new stereo filter action would definitely be nice!

dslsynth

« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2016, 01:34:23 PM »
Yeah they sound very good! However I would much prefer layers and mono voices that can be layered when stereo filter configuration is needed as its more cost effective and expressive than a fixed stereo filter configuration of the Evolver.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2016, 01:40:35 PM »
Yeah they sound very good! However I would much prefer layers and mono voices that can be layered when stereo filter configuration is needed as its more cost effective and expressive than a fixed stereo filter configuration of the Evolver.

Having both choices (stereo channels and/or layers) in one instrument would be nifty.

dslsynth

« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2016, 01:47:06 PM »
Different kind of stack mode really. The challenge is that the place the parameters are copied from in the program vector would be less easy for the OS developer to code plus that some of the parameters needs to be mangled when configuring the second voice from the first layer. And would these mangling rules work for everyone involved?

Just having layers would be perfectly fine with me. But of cause I would love to see a stereo panned stack mode like on the Evolver.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:08:40 PM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2016, 02:08:57 PM »
I'd love to see it, but I think a new Evolver is the last thing DSI will produce.  Dave continues to repeat that he doesn't do re-issues.  The Prophet 6 is the closest thing to an exception, but that's perhaps because the Prophet 5 was his hallmark and continues to be something of a standard for him.  If you remember, the MEK and PEK were initially advertised as the new Pro One and Prophet 5.

As an interesting note, DSI was already making the Prophet 6 before they were offered back the Sequential name from Yamaha.  So, there very nearly was a DSI Prophet 6.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 06:37:38 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2016, 02:29:35 PM »
Reissued Evolver = Prophet 12 style voice + analog oscillators + analog filter feedback

Its not really all that far away from current knowhow. And would be a good chance for DSI to design new discrete electronics variable waveshape DCOs. Having advanced voice architecture small voice count compact user interface modules sets the instrument enough apart from the current competition that lower budget users would buy them in large numbers. Right now current DSI offerings are way too expensive for many users. Same old story, you know!

And yeah I remember the ad immediately when you mentioned it. Great looking and sounding machines!
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2016, 02:44:05 PM »
Yes, the Evolver Keyboards are definitely good lookers, and two or more look fabulous in the dark.

There's no doubt DSI has the ability to make new Evolvers, and do a better job than was done before with the technology they've developed and refined these last few years.  But it's a matter more of the will, and I don't believe Dave has the will to make an Evolver Mk II.  And if he presented such a scheme to his staff as you described above, I think they all have enough brains to realize the old Evolver fans would be disappointed with the new Evolver's refined character.  I think many of us took to the Evolver's imperfections as a distinctive sort of personality.  What Evolver folks would prefer is more likely the old Evolvers, but now 100% bug-free.  I don't know if that's even possible.

One of the most common comments I see online regarding the Mono and Poly Evolvers is that there's simply nothing else like them.  I would agree, and I'd add that they covered an amazing amount of sonic territory.  That's one of the reasons I had seriously considered having an all-Evolver set up.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:56:29 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2016, 03:11:34 PM »
Good point! If we abstract a bit the key Evolver features are (1) both analog and digital oscillators plus (2) interesting integration of analog and digital. There will be plenty of solutions inside that design space that will sound much better than the Evolver and have plenty of new interesting features that will set it apart.

I think there is a reason why you think so high of the Prophet 08: all analog signal path. The combination of the Evolver and an all analog signal path would be great and span a larger space of possible sounds.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:16:37 PM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2016, 03:31:50 PM »
I think there is a reason why you think so high of the Prophet 08: all analog signal path. The combination of the Evolver and an all analog signal path would be great and span a larger space of possible sounds.

Yes, you're right.  I'm completely over my former digital synthesizer quest.  No more Blofeld talk from me, or any other digital instrument.  I'm content to have the eight-voice Poly Evolver remian my one and only digital hybrid synthesizer.  For the rest, I'm interested in pure analog sound and features.  Hence, my interest in an ARP 2600 re-issue, or something else like a Dominion 1.  But again, I could have made due with just Evolvers.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:34:41 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2016, 03:38:22 PM »
I'm completely over my former digital synthesizer quest.

So no Prophet 12 or Pro 2?

My main reason for liking the Evolver is the digital sounds on a solid analog foundation. Would love to see a new take on that concept (as you may have heard before).
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2016, 04:51:16 PM »
So no Prophet 12 or Pro 2?

My main reason for liking the Evolver is the digital sounds on a solid analog foundation. Would love to see a new take on that concept (as you may have heard before).

Well, I'm ultimately interested in everything that DSI makes, but I'd like to limit myself to four keyboard synthesizers, and those four have to cover the right sort of sonic ground.  Having a mixed bag, such as a Poly Evolver, Prophet 12, and a Pro 2 all in one set up would make no sense to me.  I need only one polyphonic digital instrument.  That would mean either the Poly Evolver or the Prophet 12.  The rest need to be strong analog instruments.  The Pro 2 still interests me because I like the voice architecture, the filter seems to be really strong, and because I could supplement it with an analog module or two.  So, I'm only considering one instrument these days, to replace one of my Poly Evolvers.  It will have to perform heavy monophonic duties.  So, It could be a Prophet 6 plus a module, or a Pro 2 plus a module.  Or else, some other classic analog mono synth.

DSLSynth, I know fairly well your interests.  Why don't you do as I'm doing?  Forget the idea of having it all under one hood and pair together a couple of modules - one digital and one analog.  Take a SEM or a Boomstar and add to it some digital piece that impresses you.  It's the surest way of satisfying your ideals. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:53:00 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2016, 04:58:03 PM »
I shouldn't be, but I'm just hanging around the internet, checking this site and that, looking for NAMM news.  I'm expecting Chris (Ahem!  ;D) to drop us a hint any day now.  So far, nothing much in the way of news.  Anybody come across something interesting, other than that little Korg?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:01:10 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2016, 05:15:33 PM »
Why don't you do as I'm doing?  Forget the idea of having it all under one hood and pair together a couple of modules - one digital and one analog.

Oh I have been thinking about that a large number of times. When I was considering a MI Shruthi the plan was to let a yellow box supply the required analog foundation via external input. Going the eurorack or semi-modular way will be very expensive and bulky. Having the complex modulation and digital features run in a DSP makes the instrument a lot more compact and affordable. Which is why I keep hoping for DSI making such modules one day.

Said in another way the eurorack modules will have a lot of D/A and A/D converters while a complex voice architecture module let the digital features stay inside in the digital domain for as long as possible with is a much more cost effective. I have recently started looking at eurorack modules so who knows. Would require a good digital modulation module from DSI though to keep such a modular under digital control.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2016, 05:27:56 PM »
I shouldn't be, but I'm just hanging around the internet, checking this site and that, looking for NAMM news.  I'm expecting Chris (Ahem!  ;D) to drop us a hint any day now.  So far, nothing much in the way of news.  Anybody come across something interesting, other than that little Korg?

Not really. There's the often talked about Yamaha Montage, an AWM2 + FM synth (http://www.matrixsynth.com/2016/01/namm-rumor-new-yamaha-montage-awm2-fm-x.html) that's probably the follow-up to the Motif series, something (ahem) "new" from Nord (http://www.matrixsynth.com/2016/01/clavia-nord-keyboards-see-you-at-namm.html), and supposedly a white version of the JD-XA.

Everything else has already been posted in the general NAMM thread or in the "Other Hardware" forum.

chysn

« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »
As an interesting note, DSI was already making the Prophet 6 before they were offered back the Sequential name from Roland.

From Yamaha, but that is interesting. I figured that the name was part of a grand strategy for DSI to explore two directions at once. Maybe it is, and we won't know for sure until there are more Sequential instruments.

I do like the idea of a DSI sampling keyboard, especially if it has a crossfading sequencer like the Wavestation. That was some fun synthesis, and I think it would be a blast with custom waveforms.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2016, 06:36:54 PM »
Thanks for the correction - Yamaha, not Roland.  I've changed my original post.

« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2016, 09:07:51 PM »
I figured that the name was part of a grand strategy for DSI to explore two directions at once. Maybe it is, and we won't know for sure until there are more Sequential instruments.

It'll be interesting to see, since it's still one of the unanswered questions what both brands are ultimately going to stand for.

I do like the idea of a DSI sampling keyboard, especially if it has a crossfading sequencer like the Wavestation. That was some fun synthesis, and I think it would be a blast with custom waveforms.

That would definitely be a fun idea. Revising the Prophet 3000 and the Wavestation in one go.