DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation

Sacred Synthesis

Re: DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2016, 12:18:35 PM »
How is it that, after all the belly-aching about the Poly Evolver's limited voices, four voice instruments are becoming popular?  For me, a four-voice synthesizer means a left-handed instrument for accompanying chords - and not played arpeggios - or else, a sort of monophonic instrument with the ability of adding occasional harmonies. 

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »
How is it that, after all the belly-aching about the Poly Evolver's limited voices, four voice instruments are becoming popular?  For me, a four-voice synthesizer means a left-handed instrument for accompanying chords - and not played arpeggios - or else, a sort of monophonic instrument with the ability of adding occasional harmonies.

Also: 4 Evolver voices are still something different than just 4 voices in a standard analog synth.

dslsynth

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2016, 12:38:16 PM »
Most likely price! I would love to have a four voice as long as its complex voices and multi-timbral. But then again my use cases are much different from yours. How many voices would you like to have in your dream keyboard instrument?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »
For mono-timbral sounds, twelve voices would be just right, to make allowance for wide arpeggios with long release times.  But in the case of a left-hand instrument used for chords, six to eight can suffice.

I've been imaging the sound of a Prophet 12 in stack mode combined with a Prophet 6 module.  Now that would make a beautiful sound. 

dslsynth

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2016, 12:44:34 PM »
More exciting than that, I've been told we can count on some forthcoming hints on the new DSI piece, in old forum tradition.

Very easy to guess! Just look at what I am dreaming about on the complex voice architecture front and subtract that from the new product.

:o . o O ( gearmas illusions )
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2016, 12:54:51 PM »
Very easy to guess! Just look at what I am dreaming about on the complex voice architecture front and subtract that from the new product.

What's your best guess - a two-voice version of the P6?

dslsynth

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2016, 12:58:47 PM »
What's your best guess - a two-voice version of the P6?

Good question! I will wait and see. But I have noticed that they have been promoting lots of Curtis music and images on their social media recently so that could be interpreted as pointing towards a new Curtis machines.

Would of cause like to see them recover from their black and white on/off switch focus and add features to support new forms of expression. Same old song! Anyway, my best bet is a new Curtis machine build around the new voice architecture ingredients developed in recent years.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »
That would suit me just fine - something like an updated Prophet '08 with a better filter and a few onboard effects. 

dslsynth

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2016, 01:14:04 PM »
Yeah something like that with Prophet 12 style digital oscillators, newly designed variable wave shape DCOs, Oberheim style state variable filter and hopefully sequencer/delays of Prophet 12 and Pro 2. Could be tasty!

. o O ( multi-threaded voice architecture digressions )
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2016, 06:17:29 PM »
I hope Dave continue to release modules of his various synth engines to expand the polyphony of the great keyboards he builds.  I would like to see a Mopho 2 and a Tetra 2, but with just a few more knobs and the longer arpegiators.

dslsynth

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2016, 02:28:45 PM »
Interesting NAMM hints in "An Evening with Dave Smith" at Pyramind in November last year:
https://youtu.be/fmhdYJDnfsU?t=24m14s

"We have something coming out in a couple of months that will really surprise people".

Plus some mention of a long term project.

Interesting!
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2016, 02:54:48 PM »
10 days left…

dslsynth

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2016, 03:21:18 PM »
T-10 days and beeping! . o O ( ::) )
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2016, 09:10:03 PM »
"We have something coming out in a couple of months that will really surprise people".

Maybe an app?  ;D

chysn

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2016, 03:39:41 AM »

Maybe an app?  ;D

A fax machine? That would really surprise people.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2016, 09:58:42 AM »

Maybe an app?  ;D

A fax machine? That would really surprise people.

Well, as long as it has full MIDI specs and USB…

dslsynth

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »
Re-issued Evolver?

Mono synth with no presets and MIDI control?

Sampler keyboard?
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2016, 11:30:22 AM »
Re-issued Evolver?

Mono synth with no presets and MIDI control?

Sampler keyboard?

The Evolver isn't even fully gone yet.

A mono synth wouldn't be so surprising, but they'd hardly omit MIDI control.

A sampler would only be half surprising, because it's not like Dave has never done that before.

dslsynth

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »
And yet all three could happen. Of cause if one got advance knowledge it easier to speak up but I don't. Hoping to see new integrations of analog and digital features but we will see what happens. Could be fun with an App but seriously it would have to be an editor if it should make any sense. But of cause we would all have a good laugh if its a softsynth!
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2016, 12:24:02 PM »
I don't have any advanced knowledge about the upcoming instruments. It's just that I can't see the Evolver making a return, when it hasn't even fully disappeared yet. The retirement announcement isn't that old and it's still available in most places.

As for a mono without presets and MIDI: I'm not sure if it would make sense for DSI/Sequential to do that for the sake of cutting down costs (this is the only reason I could imagine for doing something like this). Why should they begin to compete with companies like Korg et al, who can always produce cheaper? Beyond that, even the Volcas have rudimentary MIDI functions.

Now a sampler is - at least in my view - the likeliest of these options. Paired with analog filters it would make a reasonable addition to the DSI catalog.