DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation

Re: DSI at NAMM 2016 Speculation
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2015, 02:54:24 PM »
8) . o O ( its full of stars )

A Space Odyssey?

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »
How about a picture - something subtle, like this?

Hmmm, does it have knobs?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2015, 02:57:12 PM »
But that is a knob.  Can't you see it?  Just stare at it for a while, and the knob will appear.

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2015, 02:58:32 PM »
But that is a knob.  Can't you see it?  Just stare at it for a while, and the knob will appear.

Ah, so a new color scheme? Blue synths with white knobs?

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2015, 05:49:34 PM »
Thankfully so.

Dunno if it's just me, but I find it very hard to predict what DSI/Sequential are going to come up with at the coming NAMM.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2015, 06:01:06 PM »
Ditto.  Is Dave up to creating something completely unforeseen and different, or will we see more of the usual (which would be fine with me)?  A smaller one or two-voice version of the Prophet 6?  A replacement for the Prophet 08?  A module?  Or a totally unexpected all-digital poly synth?  I really would expect him to wade into Prophet VS or Korg Wavestation waters sooner or later. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:04:49 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2015, 06:07:34 AM »
Good question on next new DSI product, Paul Dither and Sacred Synthesis. I sort of expect it not to be my kind of voice architecture or simply be too expensive (same old jewel story). But I know from various Dave interviews and forum discussions that DSI are a lot less predictable than they used to be. They simply build what they think would be cool. Which is fine with me as it makes the gearmas wait even more interesting!

Also we are way past the Yet Another Mopho Release (TM) days and are progressing into a different time where DSI have way more development muscle (note: I did not say software maintenance muscle) so their creativity really shines. Which is good in many ways as it makes the synthesizer market much more interesting.

I would be pleasantly surprised if DSI manages to steal the show this year too. The Prophet-6 was spot on but there are only so many classics to apply the same recipe to. Also my impression is that Prophet 12 did not do the same amount of show stealing as Prophet-6 did. So all I will do is to look forward to see what they come up with and in particular if they continue with jewels only or make something more affordable instead.

What we can hope for is an instrument expanding the sonic envelope by having both analog and digital oscillators in the same voice architecture. That would be really nice. But of cause I am totally blue box biased. Also I would - given the large number of discontinued Curtis chip machines - not be too surprised if a new Curtis chip machine shows up this time. With new analog oscillators, Prophet 12 style layers, Pro 2 style voice architecture and even the highpass filter of Prophet 12 and Prophet-6 would be really interesting. But maybe that would be too predictable!? ;)

In other words: not much new to add here. Will have to wait and see what happens!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2015, 11:10:38 AM »
Since this is the supreme and official DSI forum to end all DSI forums...I do hope Chris stops by soon to offer us some tantalizing NAMM hints.  It's approximately that time, give or take a week.

dslsynth

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2015, 11:15:37 AM »
:-X . o O ( to hint or not to hint )

:o . o O ( take that as a hint )
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »
That's right!  Chris...paging Chris, please.

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2015, 12:48:34 PM »
Today's introspective Facebook entry:

"Year’s end is a time for reflection, thoughts about where we’ve been, where we are, and where we’re going.

Dave started Dave Smith Instruments in 2002 with no grand plan. He just thought it would be fun to make a new hardware synth. There wasn’t even another employee until 2007, a move prompted in part by Dave’s desire to spend more time on a bicycle and less time on the phone or in front of a computer.

DSI has grown over the past 13 years, but is still a small company, a group of fiercely dedicated individuals focused on creating instruments that inspire and delight us, in the hope that you will feel the same.

2015 has been a very good year for DSI and we couldn’t be more grateful for the support you’ve given us. We’re hard at work on several new things for 2016 and beyond and we can’t wait to share them with you. (You won’t have to wait too long for one of them….)

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to do what we love. All of us at DSI wish you a happy, healthy, safe, and peaceful 2016."

https://www.facebook.com/davesmithinstruments/

Sounds like there are going to be a few things to come. Hurray!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2015, 04:51:10 PM »
Aha!  Our first hint for NAMM 2016!

"one of them"

Okay guys, let's analyze every syllable for clues.  ???

dslsynth

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2015, 05:17:56 PM »
Suspected DSI synth forecast for 2016:

• One new Curtis chip based keyboard instrument (ref mass discontinuations).
  • One new module based on the above keyboard instrument.
  • One new eurowreck module based on an existing DSI instrument feature.

:o . o O ( fast running required )
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2015, 05:24:47 PM »

"one of them"

Let me see. Here are some anagrams that may hint at something:

Footmen He
Often Home
Fete On Ohm
Theme Of On
Teen Of Ohm*
Hot Foe Men
Note Of Hem
Hoe Em Font
The Omen Of…

I leave you with that food for thought.

* "Teen Of Ohm" will probably be the successor to the Mopho. Instead of yellow it'll be pink and baby blue, and it's going to revolutionize the techno scene…
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:39:18 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2015, 05:30:46 PM »
Suspected DSI synth forecast for 2016:

• One new Curtis chip based keyboard instrument (ref mass discontinuations).
  • One new module based on the above keyboard instrument.
  • One new eurowreck module based on an existing DSI instrument feature.

:o . o O ( fast running required )

Aren't you supposed to be on a New Year's Eve party right now? - Anyway: Godt nytår!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:32:34 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2015, 06:34:38 PM »

"one of them"

Let me see. Here are some anagrams that may hint at something:

Footmen He
Often Home
Fete On Ohm
Theme Of On
Teen Of Ohm*
Hot Foe Men
Note Of Hem
Hoe Em Font
The Omen Of…

I leave you with that food for thought.

* "Teen Of Ohm" will probably be the successor to the Mopho. Instead of yellow it'll be pink and baby blue, and it's going to revolutionize the techno scene…

No, no, no, Paul!  You're thinking too hard.  It's clear that Chris has dropped here one of his infamous hints.  But we mustn't over-analyze and fall for his ploy.  The name of the new instrument clearly is...the Prophet One of Them

Brilliant...original...even daring.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 06:39:29 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2015, 07:12:11 PM »
Ha, certainly!

Well, if it's going to be a Pro One successor I'm happy for chysn.

dslsynth

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2015, 09:07:35 PM »
Aren't you supposed to be on a New Year's Eve party right now? - Anyway: Godt nytår!

It was over by the time I wrote the above. The fireworks were quite nice though seems to be less than previous years.

Tak i lige måde da! Rigtig godt nytår! Hvad med et godt synth-år? :)

Anyone noticed that Chris stole some of Carson's beard - or that Carson have left?

:o . o O ( Prophet Teen )
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 04:02:20 AM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »
Hvad med et godt synth-år? :)

Only if it doesn't break my bank account.  ;)

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »
I expect to see one or two new modules.  Perhaps these might be a Pro 2 module and a Four-voice multi-timbal analog module featuring the newer filter, effects and arpegiator options.  I hope these have more knobs than the Mopho and Tetra, but are still affordable to average working Joe's with families like myself.

I also expect some multi-timbral analog polysynth keyboard with about four voices, but in the lower price range that would work well as a controller/programmer for newer modules.

I would love Dave to incorporate an analog vocoder, but I don't know if he has ever done so.

I would love to see someone develop a synth that has FRACTAL WAVEFORMS for something completely different.