1.4.5.1 is a beta. 

cbmd

• Sequential
Re: 1.4.5.1 is a beta. 
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 07:45:39 PM »
We've just released an update for Tempest which should resolve the LFO drift and OSC 3/4 key follow issues.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

RobH

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 08:08:16 PM »
We've just released an update for Tempest which should resolve the LFO drift and OSC 3/4 key follow issues.

I going to test it now thankyou!!!!!!

RobH

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 08:41:50 PM »
Well on my end at least the lfo sync seems to be working like a BOSS!!!!!!!

Its fucking so good, i've got a nice square wave chopping my beats about and it seems tight to me, i'm sure other users will have ways to put its through its paces but, at the moment for me at least, i'm not experiencing any drift even when i change the tempo through LIVE the lfo keeps the sync this is in all modes, off note beat and play!!!

Good work DSI I am sorry I ever doubted you!!!! Please accept my sincere apology!!!

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 08:46:52 PM »
Great:) ill have to check it out!
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

dsetto

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 11:55:39 PM »
Exciting times. I am very happy for this community that has wanted these topics addressed. Looking forward to the day I get there. Thank you, DSI and this Tempest forum!

I am personally excited right now because I have enjoyed DAW-Tempest Sync bliss with Logic all day today. I needed to experience it firsthand. And I have. Logic Pro 10.3.0 controlling Tempest via direct USB, and no other sync or MIDI boxes. Totally tight, zero drift, and fully reliable. And I tried to trip it up. I tried. And I could not.

It's an **entirely** new world compared to the various sync drift issues I was experiencing with Pro Tools 12.4.

--
When I got over-concerned on Friday, please keep in mind:
- I was experiencing real sync drift issues & a few T freezes
- I took to heart the collective dismay expressed here- of steps backward accompanying steps forward- and truly believed the "sync sky" was falling, as that is what I was experiencing
- Anxious about the near-final OS.
- I had never tested for or used tight, non-drift sync before- at all.
- I had tested SPP correlation with DIN MIDI and found that greater than measure 9 SPP issue. This- plus all else- made me think it was possible my issue could be a broad issue.
- I am not experienced or well-versed in the Tempest development journey
- It didn't occur to me that an established program like Pro Tools could be the source of the problem.

As I've had 100% successful sync results with Tempest, I fully concur with the experts here that my sync drift issue was NOT with my Tempest, nor Beta 1.4.5.1. It's just something I had to hear firsthand.

Thank you, Rob, for recommending me I try a DAW other than PT.

My fingers are crossed, Lucid, John, idm, et al. Best wishes, all, on the remainder of this epic journey.

RobH

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2017, 01:53:21 AM »
Exciting times. I am very happy for this community that has wanted these topics addressed. Looking forward to the day I get there. Thank you, DSI and this Tempest forum!

I am personally excited right now because I have enjoyed DAW-Tempest Sync bliss with Logic all day today. I needed to experience it firsthand. And I have. Logic Pro 10.3.0 controlling Tempest via direct USB, and no other sync or MIDI boxes. Totally tight, zero drift, and fully reliable. And I tried to trip it up. I tried. And I could not.

It's an **entirely** new world compared to the various sync drift issues I was experiencing with Pro Tools 12.4.

--
When I got over-concerned on Friday, please keep in mind:
- I was experiencing real sync drift issues & a few T freezes
- I took to heart the collective dismay expressed here- of steps backward accompanying steps forward- and truly believed the "sync sky" was falling, as that is what I was experiencing
- Anxious about the near-final OS.
- I had never tested for or used tight, non-drift sync before- at all.
- I had tested SPP correlation with DIN MIDI and found that greater than measure 9 SPP issue. This- plus all else- made me think it was possible my issue could be a broad issue.
- I am not experienced or well-versed in the Tempest development journey
- It didn't occur to me that an established program like Pro Tools could be the source of the problem.

As I've had 100% successful sync results with Tempest, I fully concur with the experts here that my sync drift issue was NOT with my Tempest, nor Beta 1.4.5.1. It's just something I had to hear firsthand.

Thank you, Rob, for recommending me I try a DAW other than PT.

My fingers are crossed, Lucid, John, idm, et al. Best wishes, all, on the remainder of this epic journey.

Yeah its ok man, i literally tried to trip my tempest up at really high BPM i don't normally run it at to see if i could recreate some of the drift and freeze issues you were having, but i could not, thats why i was kind of thinking it was ProTools, i've heard its not the best midi program in the past (hence why people use logic who are midi heavy). Its a much better program for that kind of thing.

Glad its sorted anyway. Chillax we all get a "stuck wtf" moment haha. Trust me. I have them a few times a day ahaha

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2017, 07:23:25 AM »
Congrats brother;) Glad to read the news!!

Cheers;)
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

Stoss

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2017, 07:29:17 AM »

Continuing work on the Tempest to resolve these glaring bugs was nearly unavoidable. It was the only reasonable resolution to that problem. There would have been no practical customer support or technical support response to related inquires in the future.

Now... If I may be a bit selfish for a moment... Using the beat roll (as a fill effect, 'cause that's what it's good for) while you have a beat playing using any amount of swing does not feel right. It never has. It has always felt like a performance oriented mistake. Applying the swing settings to the beat roll should be standard, or at least a selectable option. It's no secret I have been a champion of this, among other performance based delicacies that make the Tempest feel right.

Add swing to beat roll and I will let the world know why this is such a wonderful instrument.

Reengage with John the Savage and Roger Linn, fix the entire remaining list, and as I've said before, you've got a reason to reintroduce this product to the industry as the most capable, most interesting, most polished drum machine available. You would be doing that with the full support of your most harsh critics. That is very powerful.

As always... I love my Tempest and genuinely want success for the small group of individuals responsible for it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:45:32 AM by Stoss »

dsetto

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2017, 10:21:38 AM »
I'm Tempest young. Last night I explored Roll for the first time while not at a test-speeding, freeze-inducing BPM. I thought, "what a deceptively peripheral, but amazing & essential 4-lettered button."

Stoss, I *now* can hear how mouth-watering swinging beat role would be in this instrument!

Like a Smeagol to Gollum ensemble, this forum is. ... Best wishes to all.

Stoss

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 11:10:07 AM »
I'm Tempest young. Last night I explored Roll for the first time while not at a test-speeding, freeze-inducing BPM. I thought, "what a deceptively peripheral, but amazing & essential 4-lettered button."

Stoss, I *now* can hear how mouth-watering swinging beat role would be in this instrument!

Like a Smeagol to Gollum ensemble, this forum is. ... Best wishes to all.

A feature request I made quite some time ago which was generously implemented by DSI was the inclusion of momentary footswitch control of Roll and Reverse. Do yourself a favor and jam with the Tempest in 16 Beats or 16 Mutes mode using footswitches to control beatwide Roll and beatwide Reverse. The immediate and expressive control you get is fantastic. I like to set my beatroll quantize to 32nd notes and drop in little bursts here and there. Very, very nice.

dsetto

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2017, 11:32:43 AM »
Excellent! Drummers have feet. Right.

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2017, 10:13:51 AM »
Swing on beat roll is an essential- come on lets have it!

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2017, 12:45:26 AM »
Oh, yes. Swing on beat roll would be lovely, please, DSI.

Thank you for the latest update, too.

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2017, 03:52:22 AM »
Hi everyone,
Must i re-calibrate the analog oscillator and filters after this update ?
thank you in advance.

Cole

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2017, 04:50:24 AM »
Hi everyone,
thank you in advance.

Of course.

LoboLives

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2017, 04:54:28 AM »
The only thing I'd like to see is better Midi capabilities. I'd like the Tempest to sequence two monophonic synths at the same time.

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2017, 05:54:44 AM »
From the official DSI instructions:
"INSTALLATION NOTE: It is recommended to recalibrate the oscillators/filters and reset the system parameters after installing a Main and/or Voice OS update. These functions can be found in the system menu."
Hi everyone,
thank you in advance.

BTS.WRKNG

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2017, 06:40:19 AM »
The only thing I'd like to see is better Midi capabilities. I'd like the Tempest to sequence two monophonic synths at the same time.

Why stop there? Why not have it sequence 16 external synths with 8-note polyphony for each?

MIDI sequencing was never in the original Tempest specification, as much as one might make the case that it should have been, and development on the janky monophonic 'sequencing' we have now has demonstrably frustrated and/or distracted from fixing legitimate bugs with functions that were in the original spec.

Selfishly, I'd like Tempest to have a full MIDI CC implementation for all parameters because it would suit my particular situation/workflow, but this late in the game I nevertheless try to limit my lobbying and requests to what's realistic and to fixing/solidifying what's in the original spec.

LoboLives

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2017, 07:09:45 AM »

Why stop there? Why not have it sequence 16 external synths with 8-note polyphony for each?

MIDI sequencing was never in the original Tempest specification, as much as one might make the case that it should have been, and development on the janky monophonic 'sequencing' we have now has demonstrably frustrated and/or distracted from fixing legitimate bugs with functions that were in the original spec.

Selfishly, I'd like Tempest to have a full MIDI CC implementation for all parameters because it would suit my particular situation/workflow, but this late in the game I nevertheless try to limit my lobbying and requests to what's realistic and to fixing/solidifying what's in the original spec.

I wonder if Roger or Dave will do another Tempest.

Personally I sort of like the LM-1 design.

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2017, 08:51:23 AM »
thank you !!!! :)
From the official DSI instructions:
"INSTALLATION NOTE: It is recommended to recalibrate the oscillators/filters and reset the system parameters after installing a Main and/or Voice OS update. These functions can be found in the system menu."
Hi everyone,
thank you in advance.