1.4.5.1 is a beta. 

dsetto

Re: 1.4.5.1 is a beta. 
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 03:04:18 PM »
;D There's no midi implementation for that on T...Forget the controller side of things..
Are there any issues with using the Tempest as a midi controller? I just tried to assign a pot to a mapping in abelton and it just won't pick up the pot, every other midi thing i ever used just auto recieves the signal, something i'm not doing here?
Do the pads work as MIDI controller?

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 04:47:01 PM »
I disagree with you on most counts.

The point of this thread is:

1.4.5.1 is a beta.
Now is the time to ensure what DSI claims to work, works.

Any issues that have not been stated as resolved will not be resolved.

I am focusing on:
Issues that have been communicated as resolved, but are not resolved. I want to foster a postive environment to ensure those will be resolved.

I do not believe deprecating measures will persuade DSI. I believe excessive deprecating measures are a downer, and push away folks who could otherwise be an asset to this surprisingly tiny community. I am communicating my voice in a longshot attempt to foster a positive attitude that can contribtue to a more welcoming forum. And from there, have a better working relationship between the forum and DSI.

Some folks are operating on their interpretation that 1.4.5.1 is absolutely final. If no one is able to successfully communicate to DSI that something they recently claimed is working, is not working, …. … Or relay that a new issue has arisen from the 1.4.5.1 beta, and it’s something DSI wants, is willing, and can address, …. Then, yes, 1.4.5.1, as-is, will be the final OS.  Also, there is the chance that all that DSI claims to work works, and no new issues that DSI deem as necessary-fixes arise. And in that case, then yes, 1.4.5.1 will turn out to be final.

But, we have a chance right now to respectfully communicate new broken issues with 1.4.5.1 in an attempt to ensure that this beta is what DSI intends it to be.

I believe deprecating measures are not helpful for this goal. I see them as detrimental to this goal. I am passionate about making sure that 1.4.5.1 is what DSI wants it to be. I want to support a process and environment that I believe will bring this about.

I do not believe my previous post is ignorant, nor misguided. I am not trying to undermine a process, but push towards a similar objective, in a different way. And, for those that feel it is over, then there’s nothing I can be undermining.

It's no surprise to me that you disagree really.  In many ways, that's my point.  Here you are, again, telling me of all people that you intend to "foster a positive environment" and how that's going to "ensure" that these issues get resolved, and further accusing longstanding members of this community of taking "deprecating measures"... When in reality, you have no idea who you're accusing, what you're accusing them of, or how any of this actually came to be.

I realize that Stoss may have rained on your parade uninvited, but it was you who accused him of posting "stupid threads asking to be paid to be part of a beta and making snide comments...".  But see, if you were at all in-the-know, you'd have gotten the joke (and it was funny) and demonstrated a little modesty.  Instead, you chose to look down your nose, oblivious to the dynamics of this community, and refer to anyone with a bone to pick as "the same few people" and how you "see them as detrimental to this goal".

And that, my friend, is where I feel compelled to say something.  You see, this "goal" that you've so arrogantly claimed as your own, it was our goal first.  Those "same few people" that you've otherwise deemed a "detriment" to your goal, are in fact the only reason why you have so few complaints about your Tempest today.  You are simply not in a position to defame or judge any of us for our contempt, and should be nothing but thankful for our protest and pointed remarks.

You're free, of course, to pursue this matter however it so suits you - and good luck to you, really - but you might garner more support if you were to, at very least, show some deserved respect to those who paved the road you're breezing down now.

Cheers!

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 05:05:57 PM »

1.4.5.1 is a beta.

I am focusing on:
Issues that have been communicated as resolved, but are not resolved. I want to foster a postive environment to ensure those will be resolved.

I do not believe deprecating measures will persuade DSI. I believe excessive deprecating measures are a downer, and push away folks who could otherwise be an asset to this surprisingly tiny community. I am communicating my voice in a longshot attempt to foster a positive attitude that can contribtue to a more welcoming forum. And from there, have a better working relationship between the forum and DSI.

Some folks are operating on their interpretation that 1.4.5.1 is absolutely final. If no one is able to successfully communicate to DSI that something they recently claimed is working, is not working, …. … Or relay that a new issue has arisen from the 1.4.5.1 beta, and it’s something DSI wants, is willing, and can address, …. Then, yes, 1.4.5.1, as-is, will be the final OS.  Also, there is the chance that all that DSI claims to work works, and no new issues that DSI deem as necessary-fixes arise. And in that case, then yes, 1.4.5.1 will turn out to be final.

But, we have a chance right now to respectfully communicate new broken issues with 1.4.5.1 in an attempt to ensure that this beta is what DSI intends it to be.

I believe deprecating measures are not helpful for this goal. I see them as detrimental to this goal. I am passionate about making sure that 1.4.5.1 is what DSI wants it to be. I want to support a process and environment that I believe will bring this about.

I do not believe my previous post is ignorant, nor misguided. I am not trying to undermine a process, but push towards a similar objective, in a different way. And, for those that feel it is over, then there’s nothing I can be undermining.

This is exactly correct. The purpose of posting a BETA OS is to help ensure that bugs we find to be fixed in our internal testing are, indeed, fixed. This is why we post a change log along with new BETAs. We want the bugs we are claiming to be fixed to be verified as fixed by the user base before we release to production. And yes, a positive environment makes things better for everyone.
SEQUENTIAL

dsetto

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 05:14:51 PM »
Are you serious? Of course, I know yours and all the others role in where the Tempest is at today. I've expressed my acknowledgement and gratitude of this repeatedly. Do NOT try to paint me otherwise.

I have no idea what you are referring to with this:
I realize that Stoss may have rained on your parade uninvited, but it was you who accused him of posting "stupid threads asking to be paid to be part of a beta and making snide comments...".
I think you're amassing me with others.

You started in on me. All I am trying to communicate is that I believe that:

1.4.5.1 is a beta.

You guys are coming on telling me my posts are naive, ignorant, and counter-productive. And that in time, I will feel and respond like you. I disagree. I am open-minded enough to accept the possibility that you could be right. But, I do not like how you are dismissing what I believe in passionately today.

Stoss

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 05:48:44 PM »

Hey DSI... since John the Savage is no longer working directly with Roger Linn to help you improve the firmware which you have clearly stopped all work on... maybe this user who has apparently developed a deep connection with the instrument can be your replacement. You'll have to give them a couple of years though to read the manual and all of the previous threads.

Best wishes, and may you achieve success for all of us!

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 06:13:29 PM »
I have no idea what you are referring to with this:
I realize that Stoss may have rained on your parade uninvited, but it was you who accused him of posting "stupid threads asking to be paid to be part of a beta and making snide comments...".
I think you're amassing me with others.

You know what, I apologize for that one.  Looking over the thread a second time, I see that it was actually RobH who made that particular inflammatory remark.  But that was not the post I initially responded to, so... If you cannot see how your choice of words, which I have otherwise accurately quoted, may have rubbed some folks the wrong way, well then, carry on I guess.

Cheers!

dsetto

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 08:24:30 PM »
John, I acknowledge I blew my lid on Reply #14. And I see clearly that my response there, is a response to things beyond this thread, beyond this forum, beyond this instrument, and beyond this company. I laid the briquettes, Stoss added fluid, you added a spark, and I lit up. Then we were in flames. In other words, I clearly amassed a thousand unique voices into one collective “them”.

That said, in reviewing what I was thinking, I don’t believe I was trying to single out anybody. But, I accept that regardless of my intention, that can be interpreted. When I apply that same lens to your initial replies in this thread (#’s 9 & 10), it just further supports my first sentence in this reply.

And I will repeat, what I wrote in #14 is beyond this thread, this forum, this instrument, this company. It is towards a figurative attitude, one that I have constructed in my mind. Each individual flows in and out of other people’s concepts of “them”, “me”, “us”.

RobH

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 11:10:03 PM »
Edit - oh yeah I did say that but it wasn't meant to be inflammatory just a reasonable observation.

I'm sorry but I don't see I made Any inflammatory remark... All I said was calling people names and not communicating in a professional manner doesn't help anyone...

The OP even accepted those points as common sense....

I tgink Dsi should fix the outstanding main issues like the top 5 before really finishing this project....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:26:44 PM by RobH »

RobH

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 03:37:51 AM »
;D There's no midi implementation for that on T...Forget the controller side of things..
Are there any issues with using the Tempest as a midi controller? I just tried to assign a pot to a mapping in abelton and it just won't pick up the pot, every other midi thing i ever used just auto recieves the signal, something i'm not doing here?

Also yes the pads work. I'm not totally sure about the strips it was just the pots I assumed would be midi mappable and I guess that they are not which I find a little bizarre because every other device made in the last decade is midi mappable and Dave smith kind of invented midi and roger goes on to make a midi violin guitar kind of midi instrument (that looks amazing). I'm really not sure why the designed it without midi I'm not sure if anyone knows?

RobH

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 04:38:17 AM »
Ah. Ok I see now that the name 'the dave' is. Actually Dave smiths forum name....

Ok I apologise I've obviously misread some things and apologise to anyone who did feel I posted inflammatory remarks which I guess they might have been. Apologies

sofine

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 05:13:50 AM »
So, are you still working on fixing bugs, such as LFO sync, in the Tempest?

1.4.5.1 is a beta.

I am focusing on:

This is exactly correct. The purpose of posting a BETA OS is to help ensure that bugs we find to be fixed in our internal testing are, indeed, fixed. This is why we post a change log along with new BETAs. We want the bugs we are claiming to be fixed to be verified as fixed by the user base before we release to production. And yes, a positive environment makes things better for everyone.

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 05:37:26 AM »
Well, this isn't the first time that the Tempest has been a source of friction within the community (grin).

It has been a long and taxing project for everyone involved, including the designers.  And when you consider that this instrument's development has garnered more fanfare, participation, and conversation among users than all other DSI products combined—nearly 35,000 posts, in some 3,000 threads, in the two main forums alone, never mind everywhere else online—it's easy to imagine how impassioned and polarizing this topic can be at times.

I've seen people lose their cool after a week with the Tempest, and others hang on for years before cracking-up (smirk).

The only thing that matters, I suppose, is whether or not we can be civil to each other; if not in the heat of the moment, then with a little reflection.  Anyway... No ill will, gentlemen.  It's not always easy to interpret the tone or sentiment of comments made online.  But it seems we've survived another fierce debate (wink).

Cheers!

RobH

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 10:09:24 AM »

1.4.5.1 is a beta.

I am focusing on:

The answer is no.

BTS.WRKNG

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2017, 06:14:16 AM »
This is exactly correct. The purpose of posting a BETA OS is to help ensure that bugs we find to be fixed in our internal testing are, indeed, fixed.

*crickets chirp*
*tumbleweeds roll by*

Stoss

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2017, 09:39:36 AM »
This is exactly correct. The purpose of posting a BETA OS is to help ensure that bugs we find to be fixed in our internal testing are, indeed, fixed.

*crickets chirp*
*tumbleweeds roll by*

And the wind howled through the bare trees, kicking up sand that stung as it hit the sun-weathered faces of the small group of vigilantes.

Cole

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »
I wonder if DSI products are capable of third party software?

dsetto

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
Each with a crazier eye than the next.  :o

MasterVe

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2017, 11:10:09 AM »
Tempest was doomed from the start
Its just not enough memory to improve
On the tempest I wish these manufactures would stop try to cut corners to make money. Greed is the worst

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2017, 11:14:08 AM »
Agreed to a point. For plus $2000 synths paying an additional $300 for cpu/memory is totally worth it. I paid $2700 plus taxes (13% in Canada)...still I would pay more given the nature of the demographic higher end products appeal to.   It's not like Tempest V2 will wver be made...but I am cool with that...just wish the R&D was better planned out.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

dslsynth

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 12:29:48 PM »
Agreed to a point. For plus $2000 synths paying an additional $300 for cpu/memory is totally worth it. I paid $2700 plus taxes (13% in Canada)...still I would pay more given the nature of the demographic higher end products appeal to.   It's not like Tempest V2 will wver be made...but I am cool with that...just wish the R&D was better planned out.

Isn't the main CPU, memory and all the analog voice machinery on the same main board? I remember Pym mentioned quite some time back that larger memory would require upgrade of the other digital parts too. So it could very well be that it requires a significant redesign of the main board to improve on the situation. In other words it is quite likely not going to happen.

However if DSI ever makes a Tempest successor then either a board upgrade could be designed for existing Tempest users based on the newly developed technology. Or perhaps some sort of time limited advantage program to existing Tempest users could make sense.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature