1.4.5.1 is a beta. 

dsetto

1.4.5.1 is a beta. 
« on: March 13, 2017, 12:39:30 PM »
1.4.5.1 is a beta. 

After being internally vetted, it is now in a public vetting period. I believe DSI will attempt to address functions they have officially stated as operational and have privately decided they want included. 

We have the opportunity to ensure our favorite functions that have been officially and recently communicated as operational are still operational. 

Stoss

Re: 1.4.5.1 is a beta. 
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 12:45:33 PM »
Unless you have had some magical communication with the mighty one, "The Dave" was quite clear:

"Though some of you continue to request new features and offer useful suggestions for improvement, we’ve reached what we consider the limits of the instrument's available memory and processing ability. For these reasons, we consider this release (OS 1.4.5.1) to be our final Tempest OS release." - The Dave

Seriously... read through this entire forum... then go and read through the old one... then come back with your newly formed beliefs.

dsetto

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 01:26:12 PM »
I am confident in both my interpretation of the official communication and my suggested course of action.

Stoss

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:31:48 PM »
Please enlighten us all. It would do the community good to know where you are getting your information from that says anything different than what "The Dave" has already said.

dsetto

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 01:53:54 PM »
I am confident in ... my interpretation ...
It's merely my interpretation. I present it because it is different. And, this difference in interpretation could lead to different feelings and courses of action carried out by this forum's readers. And that may affect what we get in return. And that affects me and my Tempest.

So, with both personal and communal motives, I convey my interpretation to foster a constructive attitude and course of action.

Stoss

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 02:31:04 PM »
While Dave Smith may enjoy creating new instruments, as a business owner, he must succumb to the realities of income and expenses. The expenses related to the Tempest have most likely far surpassed his budget. At this point there is no financial reason to develop it further. Be nice and cordial all you want, but that won't change Dave Smith's situation. The only hope we have is for Dave Smith to recognize the relationship between his past products reputation and his future products profitablity. He has been surprisingly not tuned in to this relationship. Being nice isn't going to change that. Helping him see this relationship is the only chance we have.

I love the Tempest. Because of that I fight for it. If I didn't really care for this instrument, my move would be very simple. Sell the damn thing and be done with it.

dsetto

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 03:08:54 PM »
We are in 100% agreement regarding our passion for the Tempest. Our interpretations & intended action steps differ. I see pros & cons of both.

RobH

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »
I don't think you help the situation at all refering to Dave Smith as "The Dave" and saying things like "he came down from the mountain/hill" if he reads these forums which i'm sure he does why do you think being like this helps the situation.

To be honest I also read Daves comment like they would be pushing the beta to live at some poiint whether this is in the state it is now or with a few more remaining bugs worked out, who knows.

All i do know is if a bunch of proffesstional people came here and said "I was working on a track and all of a sudden i ran into XYZ problem" he might actually look at this again, but while the same few people continually make stupid threads asking to be paid to be part of a beta and making snide comments why would he take another look????

Would you????? In all seriousness, your business model cannot reach the ends of the earth and you have to make a cut, then the guy who feels aggreived turns up and starts giving you shit, your just going to run with the cut because your getting the shit anyway right?

Stoss

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »
All fair points. After four years of this my ability to stay cool has certainly faded. I suppose it goes all the way back to when Chris was trying to explain away the flam behavior as "expected behavior". If you weren't around for that you've missed some really trying times.

As for calling him "The Dave"... well, that wasn't my choice. Given a different four years leading up to this point I might have seen a name selection like that in a different light.

I may have to take a que from John the Savage and let the newbies find their own path to frustration.

Good luck.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
I may have to take a que from John the Savage and let the newbies find their own path to frustration.

Good luck.

Hey, don't drag me into this conversation (smirk).  I'm struggling for objectivity as it is here, and seem to have misplaced my previously diplomatic disposition amidst my own frustration and overwhelming disappointment...

All I can say to those somewhat less-involved folks with their chins yet held high is... Drop me a line in a few years (wink).

Cheers!

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 05:06:06 PM »
Oh, and whatever you do, don't hold your breath.

RobH

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 06:52:30 PM »
Im think the difference is us newcomers dont hold any expectation and so we cannot be "as dissapointed" with the turn of events as they are past tense and we have not been on the other side of being told that things will be fixed only to be told that in fact they won't be.

In this day and age of technology being so advanced small errors in programming are not acceptable especially with that caveat that they "are" software based bugs that "can" be fixed. Personally if there are people here that can fix these bugs DSI should let them have a go and call that the "beta" OS... That would be the way to roll but i guess thats not going to happen either by the sounds of it.

I understand the dissapointment and do feel it although obviously not as actutely as some do here.

As i said before its a shame. Being pedantic though wont fix this.

dsetto

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 08:36:21 PM »
Clue me in. Please share with me the top 5-10 "broken promises" that are fundamental functions. To me: fully functional SPP synchronization is one.

I want a better class-comparative understanding of the first note being late in a sequence-controlled external device.

RobH

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 10:17:21 PM »
The first beat being late is really poor for a 2k machine from two pioneers of this technology. I must admit if I was Dave or Roger I would not be letting this implementation be the final release....

dsetto

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 10:59:45 PM »
On this subject, I am neither naive nor entitled. I can balance my expectations, purchase decisions, wants, and acceptance. If I were to get a heightened level of frustration with a product, I would assess if “it is not for me”. I would never, ever publicly deride a company that’s not engaged in actual evil. I would move on; assuming I was impetuous enough to be beguiled in the first place. ... Moreover, Dave Smith Instruments uniquely makes so many things I want, I am only fully appreciative of their work. I move slowly, sufficiently thoroughly, and when I am ready. And their influence is far-reaching. So, as I know myself, I know I would never try to shame them into shaping something to meet my wishes.

I have never, ever met an instrument I felt had intenionally wronged me. I have had an instrument that I struggled with. I was unsure if I would stay with it. And then, I got past it. But never in the course of that struggle did I blame the manufacturer. Instead, with great admiration for the maker, I was intrigued as to the motivations for the elements that bothered me. And for the aspects that were simply inferior; I figured one cannot have it all. And with that important instrument, it had some things, and did not have other things. I never considered publicly shaming the company as an expression of my frustrations.

As you have no idea at how I will act, your baseless predictions cast my way fall flat.

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 02:04:01 AM »
On this subject, I am neither naive nor entitled. I can balance my expectations, purchase decisions, wants, and acceptance. If I were to get a heightened level of frustration with a product, I would assess if “it is not for me”. I would never, ever publicly deride a company that’s not engaged in actual evil. I would move on; assuming I was impetuous enough to be beguiled in the first place. ... Moreover, Dave Smith Instruments uniquely makes so many things I want, I am only fully appreciative of their work. I move slowly, sufficiently thoroughly, and when I am ready. And their influence is far-reaching. So, as I know myself, I know I would never try to shame them into shaping something to meet my wishes.

I have never, ever met an instrument I felt had intenionally wronged me. I have had an instrument that I struggled with. I was unsure if I would stay with it. And then, I got past it. But never in the course of that struggle did I blame the manufacturer. Instead, with great admiration for the maker, I was intrigued as to the motivations for the elements that bothered me. And for the aspects that were simply inferior; I figured one cannot have it all. And with that important instrument, it had some things, and did not have other things. I never considered publicly shaming the company as an expression of my frustrations.

As you have no idea at how I will act, your baseless predictions cast my way fall flat.

Okay, you know what, dsetto?  I saw that you thanked me in the beta-testing thread recently, and I can see that you're trying to be the voice of reason here; however...

This post is ignorant and misguided, and it undermines the efforts of a lot of rightfully frustrated people, including myself and the Tempest's own designer, who took up in protest for good reason, and have worked really hard to help bring this instrument to fruition only to see it fall short of its original design spec.  There is a long history here, and you were not a part of it; so don't presume to know what motivates the more outspoken members of this community, or criticize their tact for that matter.

To suggest that any of us ended up in this situation by way of being "impetuous", or implying that we are upset simply because we don't connect with the Tempest or otherwise understand how it works, is condescending, insulting, and misinformed.

If you were hoping to encourage a little optimism among your fellow Tempest users by starting this thread, or solicit a little goodwill from DSI, I can respect that; but flaunting your self-proclaimed clarity, careful choices, and even-handed disposition, as though the rest of us lack these traits... That isn't going to make you any friends, and only demonstrates a lack of perspective on your part.

From where I'm standing, it's an easy correlation to make: those who have been the most patient and helpful are now the most angry and vocal... Let them vent.  They've earned it, and the company has had it coming for a long time now.

As for your personal "interpretation" of recent events, you are of course entitled to your opinion; but I assure you that your take on the matter is yours and yours alone.  It's over.  For all intensive purposes, it's over.

Cheers!

RobH

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 02:08:58 AM »
Are there any issues with using the Tempest as a midi controller? I just tried to assign a pot to a mapping in abelton and it just won't pick up the pot, every other midi thing i ever used just auto recieves the signal, something i'm not doing here?

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 02:27:49 AM »
 ;D There's no midi implementation for that on T...Forget the controller side of things..
Are there any issues with using the Tempest as a midi controller? I just tried to assign a pot to a mapping in abelton and it just won't pick up the pot, every other midi thing i ever used just auto recieves the signal, something i'm not doing here?

RobH

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 02:48:44 AM »
Thats, well, weird.

dsetto

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »
I disagree with you on most counts.

The point of this thread is:

1.4.5.1 is a beta.
Now is the time to ensure what DSI claims to work, works.

Any issues that have not been stated as resolved will not be resolved.

I am focusing on:
Issues that have been communicated as resolved, but are not resolved. I want to foster a postive environment to ensure those will be resolved.

I do not believe deprecating measures will persuade DSI. I believe excessive deprecating measures are a downer, and push away folks who could otherwise be an asset to this surprisingly tiny community. I am communicating my voice in a longshot attempt to foster a positive attitude that can contribtue to a more welcoming forum. And from there, have a better working relationship between the forum and DSI.

Some folks are operating on their interpretation that 1.4.5.1 is absolutely final. If no one is able to successfully communicate to DSI that something they recently claimed is working, is not working, …. … Or relay that a new issue has arisen from the 1.4.5.1 beta, and it’s something DSI wants, is willing, and can address, …. Then, yes, 1.4.5.1, as-is, will be the final OS.  Also, there is the chance that all that DSI claims to work works, and no new issues that DSI deem as necessary-fixes arise. And in that case, then yes, 1.4.5.1 will turn out to be final.

But, we have a chance right now to respectfully communicate new broken issues with 1.4.5.1 in an attempt to ensure that this beta is what DSI intends it to be.

I believe deprecating measures are not helpful for this goal. I see them as detrimental to this goal. I am passionate about making sure that 1.4.5.1 is what DSI wants it to be. I want to support a process and environment that I believe will bring this about.

I do not believe my previous post is ignorant, nor misguided. I am not trying to undermine a process, but push towards a similar objective, in a different way. And, for those that feel it is over, then there’s nothing I can be undermining.