Evolver 2

Evolver 2
« on: March 11, 2017, 12:46:03 AM »
Just a suggestion for DSI (who newer listen to suggestions, but anyway... ). Maybe it's time for a Evolver 2 desktop with P6/OB6 synth engine, deep sequencer, multitembrality and polyphony, killer sound... ? I would be really glad to have one as a companion for the Tempest in a live situation. Of course there are other options on the market (elektron A4 for instance ), but nothing ever could be as sexy as new DSI analog groovebox.

What do you think? Is it going to happen? Is there still a market for such a tool?

Keep dreaming or get prepared for this in 2017?)

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Evolver 2
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 02:13:26 PM »
No, DSI most certainly does listen to suggestions.  They've proven it by adding many features to their instruments after their release.  That's just a fact.  I don't know if you've owned any of their keyboard synthesizers, but the differences between the first run of one model and the same model a few years later are substantial, with all sorts of user-requested features added.  What DSI doesn't like are finger-in-the-chest demands, nor do any of us. 

Otherwise, I agree with you.  I'd love to see an Evolver II as well.  There's nothing like an Evolver, which is why I would have been happy if they had simply maintained the original Evolver line.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:29:42 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 03:11:21 AM »
Well, don't want to amplify this offtopic, but I've got P6 & Tempest since their release dates. With P6 it's about 2 years without simple OS update with seq/arp midi out function, and about Tempest I'd better keep silence... :). It’s not like there's no support and communication with customers, but it could be a bit faster.

Now back to the topic - maybe it shouldn't be an edition of Evolver, rather a completely new concept and product line. I just took the closest concept in DSI line (some people see Evolver as a nice live sequencer / "groove synth" ). What I dream of is a compact and portable solution with authentic dsi sound, killer seq/arp like Pro2 has, polyphony and maybe 4 parts multitimbrality and digital advantages of the Evolver (digital waveforms, effects, etc... ).   

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 10:11:07 AM »
Well I would hate anything that diminishes the value of the PolyEvolver I just bought, but... an 8-voice PE with 6op linear FM, user wavetables, 64 step sequencer, programmable arp, would be pretty radical.   ;D  And it wouldn't really overlap much else in the DSI quiver, because the P12 doesn't have any analog oscs or wavetables (I don't think?), and the Rev2 doesn't have any digital oscs.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 10:15:03 AM »
Since DSI has been favoring the pricier end of the synthesizer market, I'd be thrilled to see a five or six-voice Poly Evolver REV2.  And I agree - it would be totally distinct from the Prophet 12.  Unfortunately, we Evolver fans made up a very small segment of the DSI customer base.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:37:36 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »
Since DSI has been favoring the pricier end of the synthesizer market, I'd be thrilled to see a five or six-voice Poly Evolver REV2.  And I agree - it would be totally distinct from the Prophet 12.  Unfortunately, we Evolver fans made up a very small segment of the DSI customer base.

Umm,   if they would make a  six voice "PEK REV 2"   I'd be driving all the way out to California to get the first one :)
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 04:25:30 PM »
Well, I'll be standing right behind you!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:35:20 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »

Umm,   if they would make a  six voice "PEK REV 2"   I'd be driving all the way out to California to get the first one :)

Well he already has a 4, 6, 8, 12 and 16 voices.  I think the rEvolver 2 should be 10 voices, just to make sure it's clearly distinct from the rest of the line.  ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 12:41:19 PM »
That would be great, but considering that the price of a four-voice Poly Evolver Keyboard was $2,600, you're talking about an immensely expensive instrument.  The module or rack version, added to the keyboard version, would be the less expensive way to go.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:13:04 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »
That would be great, but considering that the price of a four-voice Poly Evolver Keyboard was $2,600, you're talking about an immensely expensive instrument.  The module version, added onto the keyboard version, would be the less expensive way to go.

Maybe, but that was also at a time when the market for smaller hardware synth makers didn't support the kinds of scale it can now.  Looking at the Rev2's 16 voices at $2000 and the P12 at $3000, it seems feasible they could do a 10 voice PEK for $3000 or so.  I do think a 5-voice is more realistic.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
You've got a good point.

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 06:54:58 AM »
I'd rather have an VS/FM based synth from DSI. No analog except for the filters with multitimbrality and 20 voice polyphony. Perhaps even have samples from the Prophet 2000 just to add a bit of different texture.

Keep the same blue design that the Evolver/Prophet VS had. Just to distinguish it.

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 10:41:34 AM »
I'd rather have an VS/FM based synth from DSI. No analog except for the filters with multitimbrality and 20 voice polyphony. Perhaps even have samples from the Prophet 2000 just to add a bit of different texture.

Keep the same blue design that the Evolver/Prophet VS had. Just to distinguish it.

That seems a little too close to the P12, assuming you mean linear FM.  I feel like in a lot of ways the P12 was Dave's "ultimate digital", and that due to competing with computer-based synth market, he has to keep analog in the mix as a differentiator.

But of course, a 10-voice Evolver with 6-op linear FM and lots more wavetables including those from the P2000 is a nice idea too.  :D

LoboLives

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 10:58:22 PM »

That seems a little too close to the P12, assuming you mean linear FM.  I feel like in a lot of ways the P12 was Dave's "ultimate digital", and that due to competing with computer-based synth market, he has to keep analog in the mix as a differentiator.

But of course, a 10-voice Evolver with 6-op linear FM and lots more wavetables including those from the P2000 is a nice idea too.  :D

But with everyone jumping on the analog bandwagon, wouldn't a completely digital synth from DSI be a differentiator in itself, especially if it included both Vector Synthesis, samples and Linear FM?

dslsynth

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 04:50:46 AM »
But with everyone jumping on the analog bandwagon, wouldn't a completely digital synth from DSI be a differentiator in itself, especially if it included both Vector Synthesis, samples and Linear FM?

Certainly an idea. But honestly, DSI is perhaps not the most resourceful company in the industry when it comes to software development resources. So why make something that is not using their strengths? So I would much prefer to see interesting hybrid machines which are closer to their core expertises.

DSI have by the way already made two software synthesizers: DSM02 and DSM03. But these are much more limited in functionality and used mostly previously developed technology.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

chysn

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 05:39:58 AM »
Certainly an idea. But honestly, DSI is perhaps not the most resourceful company in the industry when it comes to software development resources. So why make something that is not using their strengths? So I would much prefer to see interesting hybrid machines which are closer to their core expertises.

DSI have by the way already made two software synthesizers: DSM02 and DSM03. But these are much more limited in functionality and used mostly previously developed technology.

I think that the DSM03* shows that they're pretty adept at DSP programming. I know a module is different than an entire synth, but if that's the sort of thing they want to do, they're on the right track.

* I've never used a DSM02, so can't speak about it.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

dslsynth

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 06:19:32 AM »
I think that the DSM03* shows that they're pretty adept at DSP programming. I know a module is different than an entire synth, but if that's the sort of thing they want to do, they're on the right track.

I think so too. But compare that to the competition that have been making software synthesizers for ages thereby obtaining very extensive knowledge of the field. Hence I think it would be a challenging undertaking for DSI to make a pure software synthesizer. Would much prefer to see DSI making hybrid machines instead. That being written in an appreciation of all the good stuff DSI have made over the years.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »
Well... looks like Waldorf has been thinking similarly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phi8zPZcWtw

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 01:02:48 PM »
That does have Evolver-esque sonic character.

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 02:06:56 PM »
Well... looks like Waldorf has been thinking similarly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phi8zPZcWtw

Similar approach (analogue filters as D-A-D inserts), digital signal path. And Axel Hartman on the design side, apparently!
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000