Is it possible to have someone write a custom OS or Firmware?

LoboLives

Is it possible to have a custom OS Firmware written and installed into a synth to customize it's features?

chysn

Re: Is it possible to have someone write a custom OS or Firmware?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 05:44:01 PM »
Sure thing. There aren't very many instruments this can be done for, though. Needs to be open source so that developers can learn the system, and the toolchain needs to be documented. These caveats exclude most major manufacturers' instruments, including DSI's.

But I've written custom firmware for Mutable Instruments Peaks, and I'd probably be willing to write firmware to spec for lots of money.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 05:16:19 AM »
Sure thing. There aren't very many instruments this can be done for, though. Needs to be open source so that developers can learn the system, and the toolchain needs to be documented. These caveats exclude most major manufacturers' instruments, including DSI's.

But I've written custom firmware for Mutable Instruments Peaks, and I'd probably be willing to write firmware to spec for lots of money.

I'm just really frustrated that some of the Prophet 6 short comings are likely not going to be addressed in the future. All I want is to be able to transpose the sequence on the fly without having to hold down the record button. I would also like to be able to engage/disengage the frequency of the oscillators being locked to semi-tones. I would like to have them sort of be like master tune knobs.

I think that a lot of DSI's past instruments are sort of "finished" and they want to move on to newer things and I understand that but it's still frustrating for owners of their older gear.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 09:00:19 AM »

Lobo Lives:   Same deal on sequencer operation on OB6, and it looks like it could possible be the mode for the upcoming REV 2.   I can't understand any advantage to this mode of operation or why DSI would divert from the way they used to allow.  Lets be heard!  I'm to the point of getting my soldering gun out and bypassing that temporary hold switch with a toggle on.   Better than the duct tape I need to use now to keep switch active :(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:01:50 AM by Soundquest »
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 09:24:23 PM »

Lobo Lives:   Same deal on sequencer operation on OB6, and it looks like it could possible be the mode for the upcoming REV 2.   I can't understand any advantage to this mode of operation or why DSI would divert from the way they used to allow.  Lets be heard!  I'm to the point of getting my soldering gun out and bypassing that temporary hold switch with a toggle on.   Better than the duct tape I need to use now to keep switch active :(

I honestly just more or less use the sequencer as phrases or riffs or "previews" when I do a Carpenter style patch I'll record a sequence from his films on the patch to remind myself where it's from.

But I want to be able to do fast patterns and Blade Runner rhythms but it looks like the Sub 37 is going to be what I rely on for that.