JUMP patch tutorial?

Re: JUMP patch tutorial?
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 02:28:40 PM »
I guess I'm out of my league on this one.

Not playing Jump every other day?   ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 02:40:39 PM »
No.  I seem to have misplaced my Van Halen collection.  I thought it was right next to my AC/DC cassettes.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:43:17 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
No.  I seem to have misplaced my Van Halen collection.  I thought it was right next to my AC/DC cassettes.

Funny, but I'm just now "discovering" AC/DC! I was a proud rock-hating, new wave teen back in the day, and pointedly rejected most anything I considered "rock." But I couldn't resist learning "Jump," right? That synth riff is just a brilliant hook, and it bridged a gap for me between the music I hated and the music I loved. Truth is, anything with a synth in caught my attention, even if otherwise it wasn't my thing. But yeah - I'm going back now and giving all sorts of music a second glance. My mid-life crisis seems to involve rebelling against my teenage anti-rock rebellion!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »
Now there's a twist: mid-life being a rebellion against the teenage years!  I suspect when you're an old man, Ant, you'll be nursing.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:06:54 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 03:11:47 PM »
Now there's a twist: mid-life being a rebellion against the teenage years!  I suspect when you're an old man, Ant, you'll be nursing.  ;D

I shall not comment on your comment, for fear of revealing far too much to the world!

Yeah, I'm having a curious time suddenly enjoying much music I once despised. And at the same time, as I posted elsewhere, I'm digging back into the music I made in those not-very-heady teenage synthy days. I still listen often enough to so much of the stuff I liked as a kid - my tastes in music tend to expand, it seems. So Gary Numand and Ultravox have come back to haunt in a wonderful way, while new weird and normal musics get scribbled onto lists.

And, sure, I wish I'd written the "Jump" riff - why not!

LoboLives

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »
Jump lead and riff on Prophet 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1RDgS9fhI4

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 06:23:42 AM »
It's just a slight modification of the Brass Ensemble patch that was preset A1 on the OBXa. You can find PDF copies of the obxa patch book on the net. Why anyone would make a 16 voice layered version on the Rev2 is strange.
There was already a very good version that was made for the Prophet 08. It was posted a few times in the old forum.

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 06:29:04 AM »
Here is the patch sheet. Sorry it's a little dark. It was taken on my iPad and my studio live room is not exceptionally bright.

Pidcin

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
Here is the patch sheet. Sorry it's a little dark. It was taken on my iPad and my studio live room is not exceptionally bright.

NEAT!

How’s you get a hold of this?

Pidcin

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 02:43:21 PM »
Wait , never mind ... I guess you own one! Muaha

Any chance you can record a little clip of it on your IPAD? And put it up an unlisted YouTube video for us to check ?

Do you have the prophet 6? Could you try to recreate it with the prophet 6?

Pidcin

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »

I shall not comment on your comment, for fear of revealing far too much to the world!

Yeah, I'm having a curious time suddenly enjoying much music I once despised. And at the same time, as I posted elsewhere, I'm digging back into the music I made in those not-very-heady teenage synthy days. I still listen often enough to so much of the stuff I liked as a kid - my tastes in music tend to expand, it seems. So Gary Numand and Ultravox have come back to haunt in a wonderful way, while new weird and normal musics get scribbled onto lists.

And, sure, I wish I'd written the "Jump" riff - why not!

It’s funny how instruments can make you appreciate music ... I found myself head banging to Miley Cyrus wrecking ball! Such amazing synth worth in there too!

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 06:22:19 AM »
I quickly put the patch from the picture into my Oberheim Xpander, it sounds very authentic with a bit of Eventide H3000 preset 519 added. The H3000 apparently only launched in 1986, but 519 is based on the H910, which was around in 1984. Back in 1984, people probably would have thrown you out of the synth store if you played the Jump patch (again) :-)

So this patch is basically 2 heavily detuned saws with a subtle chorus added?

LoboLives

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 06:39:33 AM »

Any chance you can record a little clip of it on your IPAD? And put it up an unlisted YouTube video for us to check ?

I'll be trying this weekend. :)

Pidcin

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »

I'll be trying this weekend. :)

Very cool man! Please keep me updated

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 11:16:41 PM »
In the comments of that youtube video above, the guy shows how he got there. I gave it a try, and while it's not perfect, it certainly got closer than any synth/preset I've tried besides the one in Arturia.

So according to that guy's recipe, basically you put both Osc's to saw, set the lowpass completely open, no or very little hi-pass. I turned the sub-osc off, fine-tuned the second saw sharp by just a hair (you'll start to hear the phasing if you start from 0 and move slowly). Set the amplitude attack to 0, decay to 0, sustain to max, release to 10'oclock or so. Turn off LFO. Add some slop. I added some chorus, and you can tweak reverb/delay either on the P6 or your rig, to taste.

I couldn't get the glide working for me, but it's definitely there in the song except for the intro.

Also, while I was listening for the glide I noticed like a ghost track of Dave's vocals around :11 that I never heard before. Right after the scream, there's like a little barely audible snippet of something in the vox. Cool, prob just someone's headphone mix bleeding in.

Anyways, I'd love to see if someone who knows wtf they're doing can tweak it from there and get it sounding tight. Oh, also I guess it goes without saying that you can't really play it on the P6 keyboard...not enough keys. I just used my 88key controller.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:24:21 PM by dtotheb »

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2018, 10:22:58 PM »
 ;) See attached. This is really close, but I bet someone here can get closer.

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 11:23:35 AM »
Weird. I'm hearing this completely differently than many people here. I've always reproduced it by just taking a saw wave, gating the VCA and VCF, turning the resonance up to 10, then boosting the VCA to make up for the loss of gain, and then if on a single oscillator synth putting a slight chorus on it or if on a dual-oscillator synth just adding a detuned second oscillator. The original may have been bright and buzzy enough to just leave the resonance off, but I find it helps on lots of synths.

Just did it on the Modal 002, and it sounded best when the filter was turned all the way up to 1-pole and the resonance about a third of the way up.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2018, 09:16:33 PM »
I found that the secret ingredient is the right Plate Reverb.  That gets you from 90% there to 99%.
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »
Here's my attempt at imitating the Jump intro. https://soundcloud.com/jdt9517/vh-jmp

Done on the P-08.  Saw on osc 1, pw on osc 2 (50%).  Lfo mod of the pw (lots of it).  2 pole filter. 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2019, 08:18:19 PM »
I made a Van Halen Jump patch tutorial on the Prophet Rev2 (with voice modeling of an OBXA) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmJiU5ftI-Y

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral