JUMP patch tutorial?

Re: JUMP patch tutorial?
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2019, 11:29:32 AM »
There's not enough FIZZ and the envelopes are set too slow on the retro tutorial above compared to the sound on the actual song(love his videos!) .  I know the OB-Xa can do it obviously....but the patch is a bit different than the vibe on the album IMO.

IMO, somehow the most obvious omission in the thread is the OB-6 doing it, which is damn close...has the characteristic fizz and everything.  Luke's patches are pretty damn close, pretty awesome(the sound on steroids in vol 1 and vol 2 is a tiny bit fatter than the original but practically spot on....can't decide which one I like better....Vol 1 I think):

Vol 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a29nZUwRGCU&feature=youtu.be&t=70

Vol 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVGLc5mdras&feature=youtu.be&t=103

Original

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:20:12 PM by John01W »

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2019, 02:33:19 PM »
There's not enough FIZZ and the envelopes are set too slow on the retro tutorial above compared to the sound on the actual song(love his videos!) .  I know the OB-Xa can do it obviously....but the patch is a bit different than the vibe on the album IMO.

IMO, somehow the most obvious omission in the thread is the OB-6 doing it, which is damn close...has the characteristic fizz and everything.  Luke's patches are pretty damn close, pretty awesome(the sound on steroids in vol 1 and vol 2 is a tiny bit fatter than the original but practically spot on....can't decide which one I like better....Vol 1 I think):

Yeah, the secret is the SEM filter with the resonance all the way up. It gives it that fizz. Otherwise, it's just gated detuned saw waves. It generally works with any 12-pole filter and a fizzy enough saw, though.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2019, 03:27:40 PM »

Yeah, the secret is the SEM filter with the resonance all the way up. It gives it that fizz. Otherwise, it's just gated detuned saw waves. It generally works with any 12-pole filter and a fizzy enough saw, though.

The OB-6 definitely delivers on the OB sound, beautiful characteristic FIZZ.  Hell I like that Vol 1 patch better than the original but it's THE sound.  Spot on agree(good call man) about the resonance of the SEM filter....it's useful throughout the whole range of the control and it's amazing it's usefulness even all the way up.  I have a few patches of my own that resonance is downright chimey and bell-like.  Just a beautiful sounding filter.  Dave and Tom knocked it out of the park on the OB-6.

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2019, 06:27:45 AM »
*12db/2-pole filter. I didn't brain well.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

LoboLives

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2019, 03:04:33 PM »

I don't believe the OBXa had the SEM filter though.

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2019, 03:12:56 PM »

Indeed. The OB-Xa features Curtis chips for VCOs, VCAs, EGs, and filters.

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2019, 09:42:27 PM »

Indeed. The OB-Xa features Curtis chips for VCOs, VCAs, EGs, and filters.

True. I meant that in the OB-6, the SEM filter with its 12-db slope and Oberheim voicing gives the same effect. For example, the 12-db filter on the Prophet 12 doesn't respond quite the same way, despite being a Curtis chip. But in general you can basically get the Jump sound on a 2-pole filter with the resonance up and a sufficiently warm and buzzy sawtooth wave.