Prophet 6 keybed stand alone?

LoboLives

Prophet 6 keybed stand alone?
« on: March 08, 2017, 10:53:18 AM »
I'm looking at doing a Prophet 6 keyboard and Prophet 6 module set up. I love the feel of the Prophet 6 keybed and I'd like to use another Prophet 6 keybed to control the module. I'm trying to get what is essentially a Prophet 10 type set up where I can play each patch individually as well as layer 2 different patches and have a sequencer going on the module while playing the lead on the keyboard. Would DSI be able to offer a stand alone keybed from the Prophet 6 at all?

Re: Prophet 6 keybed stand alone?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 11:13:45 AM »
You mean for a custom-built project? I have no idea. I think your best bet is to get in touch with the support.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:26:32 AM »
 ;D

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »
I'm looking at doing a Prophet 6 keyboard and Prophet 6 module set up. I love the feel of the Prophet 6 keybed and I'd like to use another Prophet 6 keybed to control the module. I'm trying to get what is essentially a Prophet 10 type set up where I can play each patch individually as well as layer 2 different patches and have a sequencer going on the module while playing the lead on the keyboard. Would DSI be able to offer a stand alone keybed from the Prophet 6 at all?

You may be able to obtain the weighted 49-key FATAR TP/9S variant from Doepfer (through Analogue Haven) (http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm), though in practice there are quite a few MIDI controller keyboards out there (the Akai Advance 49 for example) that should be similar.

I've got a Waldorf Blofeld keyboard, and it also matches the response pretty closely.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 03:19:56 AM »

You may be able to obtain the weighted 49-key FATAR TP/9S variant from Doepfer (through Analogue Haven) (http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm), though in practice there are quite a few MIDI controller keyboards out there (the Akai Advance 49 for example) that should be similar.

I've got a Waldorf Blofeld keyboard, and it also matches the response pretty closely.

Yeah I really didn't want them weighted but semi-weighted like the Prophet 6. I was thinking about the M-Audio controllers as well. I just think it would be better to see if DSI would be able to help. I'm really thinking about speaking to a local manufacturer here could actually build a whole housing unit for both the Module and the 2 keyboards. Perhaps if DSI is willing to do it, I may ask them to throw in another octave ;) so that way I can have my 4 octaves for rhythm and the 5 octaves for lead.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:06:30 AM »
If you're able to create such a behemoth, goodness gracious, please make a second one for me!

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 09:04:36 AM »

Yeah I really didn't want them weighted but semi-weighted like the Prophet 6. I was thinking about the M-Audio controllers as well. I just think it would be better to see if DSI would be able to help. I'm really thinking about speaking to a local manufacturer here could actually build a whole housing unit for both the Module and the 2 keyboards. Perhaps if DSI is willing to do it, I may ask them to throw in another octave ;) so that way I can have my 4 octaves for rhythm and the 5 octaves for lead.

Yeah, "weighted" is probably a misnomer, or generalization at best - only FATAR would know. I've seen so many variations on the TP/9S weights that I'm not sure I can tell up from down anymore....

Thing is–if you don't yet own a Prophet-6 keyboard, my gut instinct would be to design a custom housing with two modules side-by-side, with twin pitch/mod wheels (one set per "manual"). It would then be repurposable as a twin-P6, P6+ OB-6 or twin OB-6 setup.

I've been looking at doing something similar with a pair of five-octave TP/8O (Fatar waterfall keys with longer key throw) or TP/8S keybeds, using the Doepfer OEM MIDI controller building blocks. Feel free to hit me up via PM if you'd like.

Based on my guess, and using the TP/9S keybeds, it'd probably be about a 21" x 42" footprint. (Apologies for the sloppy drawing.)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:43:16 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 09:34:51 AM »

Yeah, "weighted" is probably a misnomer, or generalization at best - only FATAR would know. I've seen so many variations on the TP/9S weights that I'm not sure I can tell up from down anymore....

Thing is–if you don't yet own a Prophet-6 keyboard, my gut instinct would be to design a custom housing with two modules side-by-side, with twin pitch/mod wheels (one set per "manual"). It would then be repurposable as a twin-P6, P6+ OB-6 or twin OB-6 setup.

I've been looking at doing something similar with a pair of five-octave TP/8O (Fatar waterfall keys with longer key throw) or TP/8S keybeds, using the Doepfer OEM MIDI controller building blocks. Feel free to hit me up via PM if you'd like.

Yeah I already own the Prophet 6 keyboard...but the two modules side by side would be interesting. Would I dare get two modules for this project and just start fresh as opposed to potentially modifying my Prophet 6. I'm looking at the Fatar synthesizer keybeds and it seems they only have monophonic aftertouch, not polyphonic so that may pointless with the Prophet 6 engine since the keyboard version has polyphonic aftertouch from what I'm aware of. I'll shoot you a PM and I'll also message DSI support. I doubt they'll go for it though. 

I love your design btw. I think that may be a bit of a more realistic option as opposed to something like the module being on top of the keyboard

http://www.upbeat.ch/shop/media/images/org/Prophetmodulll60cm.jpg

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:47:13 AM by LoboLives »

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 09:57:16 AM »
Yeah I already own the Prophet 6 keyboard...but the two modules side by side would be interesting. Would I dare get two modules for this project and just start fresh as opposed to potentially modifying my Prophet 6. I'm looking at the Fatar synthesizer keybeds and it seems they only have monophonic aftertouch, not polyphonic so that may pointless with the Prophet 6 engine since the keyboard version has polyphonic aftertouch from what I'm aware of. I'll shoot you a PM and I'll also message DSI support. I doubt they'll go for it though. 

I love your design btw. I think that may be a bit of a more realistic option as opposed to something like the module being on top of the keyboard

I left the pitch / mod wheel section blank - I'm an OB-levers guy, but there's no reason you couldn't mount your own bits (joystick, wheels, Roland bender, etc.) in the space(s) at left.

I always liked the concept behind this (Hammond XLK lower manual), by the way:

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »

I left the pitch / mod wheel section blank - I'm an OB-levers guy, but there's no reason you couldn't mount your own bits (joystick, wheels, Roland bender, etc.) in the space(s) at left.

I always liked the concept behind this (Hammond XLK lower manual), by the way:

Yeah I sort of like the idea of the Prophet 6 mod/pitch wheels on one and something else on the other (perhaps an Oberheim OBXa set of levers so I can manipulate one oscillator at a time or together. I'd also have to figure out where to put the transpose buttons.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 03:59:09 AM »
The P6 has what is often called channel Aftertouch. This is not the same as polyphonic Aftertouch. Pressing down on the p6 keybed effects all the notes playing with the a single control signal. True polyphonic Aftertouch allows separate control of every note. This is a very rare thing today. The Cs80 had it, the Dx1 had it, I think even the prophet T8 had it.. It is still in the midi standards spec but not much else!
Big synth stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkR38XLkFear5Sf9QypQvA
| Kurzweil Forte | Casio Privia PX 5s | Nord Electro 3 73 | Studiologic Sledge Black| Roland Juno Di | DSI Prophet 6 | Oberheim DPX 1 | EMU Esi 4000 | 2 x Yamaha Tx7 |

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 04:09:52 AM »
My own take on modifying the p6 (keyboard instrument version)would be to extend the case at one end enough to put in a proper 61 key keybed. I have a brand new Yamaha DX7 keybed that is just begging to be used.
The p6 needs a 61key keybed.
Because of the way the p6 casing is designed this project would not need to be that disruptive to the original instrument. The integration would either involve a separate key scanner linked in by midi with a merge input to allow continued function of the p6 midi in. Or more excitingly using the existing p6 scanner. The matrix interface is going to require 8x8+8 regardless of it being 49 notes or 61. And it may just be that DSI's scanner routine is a standard firmware module taken from the p8 so it might still be happy to encode the extra octave.. We'll see! Lol
| Kurzweil Forte | Casio Privia PX 5s | Nord Electro 3 73 | Studiologic Sledge Black| Roland Juno Di | DSI Prophet 6 | Oberheim DPX 1 | EMU Esi 4000 | 2 x Yamaha Tx7 |

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 02:00:19 PM »
My own take on modifying the p6 (keyboard instrument version)would be to extend the case at one end enough to put in a proper 61 key keybed. I have a brand new Yamaha DX7 keybed that is just begging to be used.
Because of the way the p6 casing is designed this project would not need to be that disruptive to the original instrument. The integration would either involve a separate key scanner linked in by midi with a merge input to allow continued function of the p6 midi in. Or more excitingly using the existing p6 scanner. The matrix interface is going to require 8x8+8 regardless of it being 49 notes or 61. And it may just be that DSI's scanner routine is a standard firmware module taken from the p8 so it might still be happy to encode the extra octave.. We'll see! Lol

I don't think the P6 needs a 61key keybed. This isn't about extending octaves it's about doing a modern Prophet 10 with two manual keybeds.

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 05:19:23 AM »
I don't think the P6 needs a 61key keybed. This isn't about extending octaves it's about doing a modern Prophet 10 with two manual keybeds.
Well the P6 has a 49 note keyboard.. So you got your wish.
 I didn't and there's room in the world for both. I find I'm forever taking my hand off the keys to press the octave shift button. And because you can't program the octave shift button setting (Why DSI.. Why?) using something like Setlistmaker to switch patches on my rig, I find I'm often in the wrong place for a couple of bars before getting a chance to shift it. On sounds were you want to play with two hands it is often impossible to include the range needed in 49 notes. Really this makes the P6 feel claustrophobic.
We're all different and we have different needs. I'm simply sharing my own situation and plans to modify the p6.
Besides the Prophet 10 had two (2!) 61 key keybeds.....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:21:32 AM by Hector Space »

blewis

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 09:09:11 AM »
It'd be pretty cool if they sold a 61key "upgrade chassis" where you got a 61key version with no guts and no end bells. Then you could just - using a screw and nut driver - transfer all your boards over to the new chassis. I bet there are ones who would buy it. It might look a bit weird to have the controls centered in empty space, but it would look any more weird than a Virus TI full size keyboard that's left justified.

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 04:31:42 AM »
It'd be pretty cool if they sold a 61key "upgrade chassis" where you got a 61key version with no guts and no end bells. Then you could just - using a screw and nut driver - transfer all your boards over to the new chassis. I bet there are ones who would buy it. It might look a bit weird to have the controls centered in empty space, but it would look any more weird than a Virus TI full size keyboard that's left justified.
I like the concept. My view of this sort of upgrade route is that it would involve extending the right hand end. I haven't had chance to investigate the way the chassis end plate is fixed to the base, but if it's bolted on then it could be simply removed along with the wooden end cheek. A new base extension section complete with hinged top bolted on and the old case end and wooden end cheek fitted the end of the extension. There would also need to be a replacement piece of wood for the extended front. None of this is that tough.
The new keybed would probably have different fixing holes, so they'd need drilling (to a template) . If the existing scanner can't handle or be upgraded, then the new scanner ( probably a Arduino based micro controller or similar) can be mounted in the extended section. I think the exsisting midi sockets are PCB mounted, so integrating a separate scanner via midi will need some lateral thought. But power for the board should be fairly straightforward.
I'm hoping that the p6 scanner will simply be happy scanning the extra 12 notes.. We'll see!

With this approach the existing control panel would appear to be moved over to the left. But that's probably good and no different to the sort of arrangement found on several Nord synths.

I know it's probably going to sound like sacrilege, but I've also been thinking that if I end up adding a scanner micro, what else could it do? I think the extra panel space could be used for an alphanumeric display, like a backlit 16 char lcd, an alpha dial and enter button. This could provide access to the p6 program name text that you only currently see if you're using the SoundTower editor. It would also allow quick scrolling through presets (beyond the current bank). Something that is cumbersome at the moment and involves two hands. Both these extras would make it much easier to access your programs and also identify them! All to often I'm thinking now what did program xxx do and where have I used it... Do I need to keep it, is it referenced by Setlistmaker??? Etc etc
Yes I know that this isn't necessarily in the spirit of why the p6 was created and I'm sure they'll be plenty of retro-heads tutting, but it makes something that is sonically brilliant much more functionally useful. Especially on stage in a multi keyboard rig.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 04:54:36 AM by Hector Space »

blewis

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 06:46:48 PM »
A little bit of fun... a bit of a laugh... I present the PROB-12.  :P  I think we have a PROBlem.  Bi-timbral. LOL

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 08:40:06 AM »

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 10:37:41 AM »
Looks great.

I guess you play the top keyboard with your nose ;)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »
What, no pedals?  Jeepers, talk about minimalism!