DAW (ableton) Sync

DAW (ableton) Sync
« on: March 03, 2017, 07:18:52 PM »
What's up?
Been struggling with getting Ableton to trigger what is programmed on the Tempest. As shown in the DUBSPOT video with DJ kiva. I've also checked out what's previously been discussed on this forum. I honestly can't figure out whats going on.

Play/Stop works (measure/beat/subdivision is counting) and the tempo syncs up, but can't get any sounds from what's programmed on the tempest..  I'm able to create an external instrument and program beats by playing them via midi controller or by drawing them into the grid, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Bought it used from Reverb and it looks like it has the latest OS installed. It's done some wacky things during my whole midi sync endeavor. So I'm debating on reinstalling the OS... Hoping to get the Tempest working as a staple in the studio, but I'm starting to feel that it's best usage is for live performance/creating stuff that you normally wouldn't create... Which is cool.

Any suggestions??

Re: DAW (ableton) Sync
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 12:18:12 AM »
I suggest you should update to the latest beta OS 1.4.4b & voice 1.5 from here: http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,586.0.html

calibrate with all cables unplugged and see how it goes from there..

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 05:54:34 AM »
Also maybe you should take note on the remaining bugs list as of Feb. 15, 2017:

·      When switching beats on-the-fly, the first step of the sequencer-out is consistently late; so if you're triggering a sample loop on the one, every time you switch beats on the Tempest, it will be out of sync for the first pass.  *This is an invasive fix.

·      Tempest starts one midi clock late or early depending on various conditions of the sync source or Tempest modes.  *This is an invasive fix.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 11:01:47 AM »
It worked! Definitely noticing that it starts a little late, but it eventually syncs up with adjustments to the midi out preferences. Could be a good thing that it's not perfectly on the beat. Good to know. Thank you!

RobH

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 09:20:17 PM »
I'm having an issue that the sync delay keeps needing changing

So I have to put a sync delay output of 62.5ms for a perfect sync and everything is good

But then later on the sync is gone and I have to make the sync delay 95ms (or thereabouts) for perfect sync and I don't know why
I'm still only using 15% cpu and I haven't changed any settings has anyone else experience this?

The fact I'm using a couple more tracks and plugins (not many at all) is the only change

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 02:41:59 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2seraaKagYk

I'm having an issue that the sync delay keeps needing changing

So I have to put a sync delay output of 62.5ms for a perfect sync and everything is good

But then later on the sync is gone and I have to make the sync delay 95ms (or thereabouts) for perfect sync and I don't know why
I'm still only using 15% cpu and I haven't changed any settings has anyone else experience this?

The fact I'm using a couple more tracks and plugins (not many at all) is the only change

RobH

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 05:04:47 PM »
Thanks Yorgos I had already gone through the steps on your video (which is kind of why i posted the question here as well as on the abelton forums) thankyou for making it!

Ok so i've had some really weird issues that thankfully i have now managed to solve (it was kind of frustrating as hell!!!)

First my added latency issue came from the Saffire Mix software changing from Zero Latency Tracking to Mixing mode so I managed to solve that one.

Then I once again got everything sync'd up fairly easily and manged to get recording with an extremely tight sync i was so happy, unforunetly then more problems began, i started to run midi to my Tempest and everytime i recorded it the audio would be recored like 1/6th of a bar late, it seemed like the midi trigger kept its time but somehow the recording was just off by A LOT, i tried loads of things using the track delay being one, I wanted to keep the sync because it was so tight, eventually i found everything worked if i didn't use the EXT instrument and just ran a midi channel straight out to my Tempest, I don't know why but then it was perfect, the sync remained and the midi notes were sent out at the right time and recorded perfectly!!!

So thanks again Yorgos as i did review your video once more to see if i was missing anything.

If anyone else is having these problems maybe just do this old skool and run a channel without the EXT instrument as it seemed to add more trouble than it fixed....

RobH

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 06:06:45 PM »
Oh my god, now i cant get my sub37 to sync unless i don't use the vst editor at all, because to use that it wants an audio channel which requires the EXT instrument to send the midi but when i do this i get this bloody latency now on the sub37 whenever i record it,

man, this is frustrating i must be doing something inherently wrong here, i must be

Is zero tracking while monitoring a good thing or bad??? It

takes off most of my latency but it disables my use of the EXT instrument because it adds in so much latency, so i can get everything sync'd fine with it

but the caveat is, i cant use the really really nice Sub37 VST editor

I mean, i guess at this point i just dont use the editor and make some tunes and come back to this another day and try setting it all up again with the MIXING mode in the saffire and see if i can get it all working how i actually want it to

I'm kind of regretting not getting cubase instead of live right now.... I wish my mac was still up to working but its dead i never had these stupid problems when i was on apple and not pc i tell you!!! Everything just worked....

RobH

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 06:17:06 PM »
Ok so i worked out if i just add the Sub37 to an indpendant channel i can mess with the sounds etc without having to go to the synth all the time, its not perfect but its a workaround i can live with just to get some soundbanks saved, i prolly play any automation in live anyway, so crisis averted, do you guys have similar problems getting multiple synths sync'd in Live??

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 09:33:09 PM »
Live isnt that great for external gear like the Tempest. Great app though! I am pretty much a power user of Live and remember experementing with the EXT Instrument Device and Track delay. Of course everone's config is different but I found track delay to work bang on for me. The trick after hours of testing for me was to create a new project and first add the tracks for the tempest. If you use track delay, you have to slave the Tempest to Live. I cant remember exaclty how I had the other settings as all my gear except the tempest is packed for moving. In about 2 months I will have everything in place. If you still have issues then, I will be happy to help via Skype.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)