Release date?

Re: Release date?
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2017, 01:02:04 PM »
Maybe i'll post some videos; not really impressed with the effects, but everything else is awesome. Using an empress reverb on it and it sounds amazing.

I found a little bit of the Phaser 2 (low resonance) or the Maestro Phaser worked wonders on the Prophet 6.  Delays were Ok on the P6 but I always used external reverb.

Yeah, the delays are usable; but all in all, i didn't buy the rev2 for the effects section.

I could be critical, but this synth more than exceeds my expectations. It's the synthesizer i've always wanted; glad that it finally exists.

Thanks DSI!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2017, 02:59:28 PM »
Had you previously played a Prophet '08?  I'm wondering if you could make a comparison between the two instruments.

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2017, 05:47:10 PM »
Had you previously played a Prophet '08?  I'm wondering if you could make a comparison between the two instruments.

The Prophet 08 is what began my lusting for a full-featured fixed knob to parameter synth; though, it's been a long time since i've had physical contact with one (2015). Alas, i don't have adequate experience with it beyond short-bursts of getting to play with it before i even realized its possibilities.

Can't imagine you'd be disappointed with it; it has ended all GAS for a prophet 08

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2017, 05:21:01 AM »

I had the Rack version, so keybed and such and I can't comment on. The sound is almost the same (I'm sure it is more similar than I think, but my ears want me to like the Rev2 more). What I can comment on is the improved layout. Setting up mods and choosing waveforms for oscillators is so much nicer. I didn't anticipate that being such a huge change for me between the two, but it is with a doubt my favorite thing going between the two.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2017, 05:35:34 AM »
Great.  It'll be interesting using basically the same instrument, only with the panel in a different configuration.

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »
I would be particularly interested in a comparison of the same program(s) loaded into the Rev2 and a Tetra. Any Rev2 owners with a Tetra to A/B?
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2017, 05:45:51 PM »
I just got off the phone with GC and was told the manufacturer has pushed the ship-date for the 16 voice back to June 30th!  I'm seriously considering canceling my order and finding another distributor.  Does anyone know of a distributor that can guarantee delivery of the 16 voice version before 6/30???

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2017, 06:31:21 PM »
I just got off the phone with GC and was told the manufacturer has pushed the ship-date for the 16 voice back to June 30th!  I'm seriously considering canceling my order and finding another distributor.  Does anyone know of a distributor that can guarantee delivery of the 16 voice version before 6/30???

Or, just change your order to an eight-voice and pay the early-adopter penalty later (for the upgrade)....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:37:33 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Devourer

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2017, 07:15:23 PM »

Says they're in stock on Kraft music.

http://www.kraftmusic.com/dave-smith-instruments-prophet-rev2-16-voice-analog-synthesizer-cable-kit.html
http://www.kraftmusic.com/dave-smith-instruments-prophet-rev2-16-voice-analog-synthesizer-carry-bag-kit.html

Comes with your choice of kit at no addition cost as well.

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2017, 08:13:25 PM »

Could try here

https://robotspeak.com/collections/dave-smith-instruments/products/prophet-rev2-16-voice
http://www.proaudiostar.com/dave-smith-rev2-16-voice-analog-poly-synth.html
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:19:58 PM by double-u »

Devourer

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2017, 01:05:30 AM »
Just got mine in and I'm having a few issues. First, the screen is staticy white upon start up. Something a bit more serious is that there's a lot of static noise at all times. I figure this has to do with it being an analog synth, although I don't remember it being that bad with the Moog I used to own... The real issue is that if you turn up the volume (I'm using in ear monitors), you can hear constant frequency hum and also filters/5envelope type effects oscillating loudly too without anything being played. I thought maybe it was a calibration issue, so I tried recalibrating it and it froze on the second voice.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:36:32 AM by Devourer »

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2017, 04:52:11 AM »
Just got mine in and I'm having a few issues. First, the screen is staticy white upon start up. Something a bit more serious is that there's a lot of static noise at all times. I figure this has to do with it being an analog synth, although I don't remember it being that bad with the Moog I used to own... The real issue is that if you turn up the volume (I'm using in ear monitors), you can hear constant frequency hum and also filters/5envelope type effects oscillating loudly too without anything being played. I thought maybe it was a calibration issue, so I tried recalibrating it and it froze on the second voice.

When i turn mine on, for the first second or two it's a white staticy screen, but then it goes normal and says Rev2 16-voice.

In terms of noise, i haven't had that issue on studio monitors or headphones; when it's not playing, it's dead quiet.

Also while i'm making patches or playing factory patches, haven't noticed any consistent hum or static. There is a possibility your cables have an issue or there is a grounding issue with your electrical setup. Check your Cables/Amp/Whatever with other gear carefully, preferably with a fuzz or overdrive pedal in the mix to amplify any noise on a quiet signal. I find that to be useful for a quick diagnosis for noise issues that are cable/electrical related.

Definitely suggest making demos and contacting support. Please tell us here how it turns out! Thanks.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2017, 05:50:20 AM »
I would be particularly interested in a comparison of the same program(s) loaded into the Rev2 and a Tetra. Any Rev2 owners with a Tetra to A/B?

I have a Tetra, a module '08, and, as of yesterday, the Rev2, but unfortunately, I wasn't able to compare them last night. Unfortunately, the Rev2 doesn't seem to be able to accept patches dumped directly from a '08. That was disappointing, because it is so easy to dump patches between Tetras and '08's. I tried it with the '08 anyway... with no luck. Perhaps I'll try it with the Tetra. This means that to get my Tetra and '08 patches into the Rev2, I need to hook up a computer and use a software application. Since the last time I did this sort of thing, I have switched from PC's to Mac, and so I will have to download SysEx Librarian and figure out how to work it. To me, that's sort of a pain, and unfortunately, I won't get to that until the weekend. But, I'm exceedingly happy to be able to eventually get my '08 sounds into the Rev2, and so I'm not complaining.

One of my first happy impressions with the Rev2 is that the keybed is much better. The '08 has a cheaper, noisy keybed, and mine had tiny, sharp shards of plastic (left from the manufacturing process) on the edges of some of the keys, which I eventually cleaned off with a fine file. In contrast, the Rev2 is much quieter and has more of a quality feel.

Other quick impressions: the strings and basses are much better; this isn't surprising with the basses given the sub oscillators. Some great pads. There are also some very good analog choir patches, which as we know aren't the easiest patches to develop. I love that there are so many more banks of sounds; I always felt a struggle when deleting patches to make room for new ones on the '08. (Sorry to hear of Devourer's issues with static; I didn't have any issues like that.)

My biggest frustration last night was trying to get a volume pedal to work. I tried different polarity pedals, including the one that I use with the '08. With the '08, setting pedal to volume is a Global function, but this doesn't seem to be the case with the Rev2. No doubt, some musicians will prefer to set up the volume pedal functions independently for each patch- some for volume and some to control filter cutoff or something else. But to me, making the default for volume makes obvious sense. I didn't find this the case for any patches, nor could I get the expression pedal to work for volume. I went to the modulation matrix to route the pedal to control volume. The closest that I got was that if I set the amount to -128, it worked the opposite way: if the pedal was rocked back, it would be full on and then it would get quieter as I moved the pedal forward. But when I changed the amount to 128 (or anything else) it did not control volume effectively. If anyone has the expression working to control volume, please give me the steps you used.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:58:10 AM by Jason »

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2017, 07:03:49 AM »
Very interested in what you discover in your comparison as well as the process to load programs. I'm surprised it's not more straight forward like previous models in the family. Is there a setting in the Rev2 to pick the format to be received (Mopho, Tetra, P08, etc.)?
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

dslsynth

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2017, 10:41:57 AM »
Unfortunately, the Rev2 doesn't seem to be able to accept patches dumped directly from a '08.

Well, it was said in the product introduction video that patches can be dumped from Prophet '08 to Rev2. So, (1) ask DSI if its actually working with current OS, (2) make sure globals are set right so that Rev2 can receive the patches, (3) make sure to dump in Prophet '08 format (in case there is an option for that), (4) make sure the MIDI cable is working correctly and (5) make sure MIDI cable is connected to the right ports (Prophet '08: MIDI Out, Rev2: MIDI In).

. o O ( back seat driver )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
The directions for importing are on page 65, and they don't say anything about dumping... only about using SysEx files. I did see a step that said:

"Use the parameter knob to select midi sysex cable, then use the value knob to choose either usb or midi, depending on which port you are using to connect to your computer."

I didn't check that, but then again, that is under the steps of importing SysEx. Still, I'm going to try that, as well as try with a Tetra, when I get a chance. But I'm at work and then I'm going to NY tonight (to see Tim Minchin yeah!)

dslsynth

« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2017, 11:08:34 AM »
The directions for importing are on page 65, and they don't say anything about dumping...

Oh man! So that is the problem. MIDI cables are one way connections. So what you have to do at the Prophet '08 is to instruct it to send the patches so that the Rev2 can receive them!

Have a great concert! ;) . o O ( and coffee download )
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2017, 01:00:20 PM »
You can absolutely dump programs from the Prophet '08 directly to the Rev2 using a MIDI cable. You do not have to specify a certain format.

You do need to have both machines configured properly: MIDI SysEx is ON in the Prophet '08, the Rev2 MIDI SysEx is set to MIDI (not USB), the MIDI channels on both machines match, and you connect the MIDI cable to the Prophet '08 MIDI Out to Rev2 MIDI In. Dump a single program, an entire bank, or all banks. The Rev2 will accept the transfer.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

dslsynth

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2017, 01:12:50 PM »
MIDI channels only have to match or rather be compatible when playing notes or changing parameters on the Prophet '08. The MIDI sysex messages do not contain channel numbers and hence this setting is not relevant for transferring programs between the instruments. Oh and who says the NRPN message numbers are the same between the instruments?

. o O ( back seat driver )
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »
The same, it seems, as when you dump the programs of one Prophet '08 into another Prophet '08.