A few questions before finally deciding on it

A few questions before finally deciding on it
« on: February 25, 2017, 09:22:12 AM »
Hello there.

My first time here. I registered because I wanted to know as much as possible about the synth before buying it. I hope you can help me a bit :) I wanted it since it came out but at that time I went for Sub37. It looks like the time finally came to combine them :) For a long time I had a feeling that this beast would be perfect for cutting through massive Sub37 frequencies. Hopefully somebody here has them both, would really appreciate any comment.

This is what's going on in my mind at the moment:

1) Can the sequencer record incoming midi notes realtime (for example sequences from iPad)? With realtime I mean that it records while it is running so you get the same sequence with rests and other stuff as the source sequence. What about other incoming data?

2) Somewhere I read that the sequencer stops when you tweak parameters while it is running. This one seems quite strange to me but I have to ask. True?

3) I want to use it also as sequencer for Sub37. With Pro 2’s CV outs I would like to modulate Sub37’s Filter CV, Volume CV, KB Gate CV. I assume notes would be easier to send via MIDI. Does anyone have some experience with these two synths connected in a similar way?

4) Anybody sending sequences from it to iOS apps?

Thats it for now, probably something else will pop up eventually;)

Cheers and thank you!

Re: A few questions before finally deciding on it
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 10:10:58 AM »
Hi urbangipsy!

I happen to own both.

About your questions:

1. The sequencer can't record incoming MIDI notes. The best way to think about the sequencer is not in terms of a MIDI sequencer, but in terms of a modulation source that's able to control the oscillators' frequencies amongst dozens of other things.
As for incoming data: You can sync the Pro 2 to an external MIDI clock source and there's an audio input for signal processing.

2. The sequencer doesn't stop when you tweak parameters while it's running.

3. As of now it's actually most convenient to set this up via CV, i.e. using the Sub 37's Filter CV, Pitch CV, Volume CV, and KB Gate inputs. See here: http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,1125.0.html

4. No, I haven't tried to send any sequences from the Pro 2 to an iOS app.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:20:07 AM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »
Hi Paul!

Many thanks for all the info and link to the sequencer question. Will follow it.

I understand about the sequencer. But let's say I have sequences for multiple synths going on in another machine (Octatrack, some iOS app), I hope Pro 2 will at least play these incoming notes if not record them? Then I could use all seq tracks for modulation of itself and other hardware, maybe also software.

Do I need to be careful of some voltage problems between Pro 2 and Sub37 when using DSI CV outs to Moog CV ins?

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 02:02:47 PM »
No problem, urbangipsy.

I understand about the sequencer. But let's say I have sequences for multiple synths going on in another machine (Octatrack, some iOS app), I hope Pro 2 will at least play these incoming notes if not record them? Then I could use all seq tracks for modulation of itself and other hardware, maybe also software.

The Pro 2's sequencer won't record an external sequence. It's not operating like a classic MIDI sequencer that let's you assign each track to a different MIDI channel. You can send up to four different control voltages into the Pro 2 and have them control whatever parameter you like, you can send an external audio signal through the Pro 2 and use it as a processing tool, and you can sync the Pro 2 to an external clock via USB or MIDI. But you can't make the Pro 2 record an external sequence. Again, the Pro 2's sequencer doesn't operate like a MIDI sequencer (which would require 1 MIDI channel per sequencer track), it operates like a multiple modulation source in modular systems.

Let me quote the manual's description for the sequencer:

For many musicians, the term sequencer has become synonymous with MIDI sequencer—a software application for recording and playing back MIDI performance data. But sequencers were around long before MIDI. The original sequencers in modular synths were used as a modulation source. They produced a series of control voltage events at timed intervals that could be used to change the value of a synth parameter in discrete steps. Sequences could be routed to oscillator frequency to produce a series of pitched notes, to filter frequency to produce stepped filtering effects, and so on.

The Pro 2’s sequencer is like an original analog sequencer but more powerful. It provides either sixteen tracks of 16-step sequences, or eight tracks of 32-step sequences—depending on which mode you choose for a particular program. Each sequencer track can be routed to a different modulation destination, and each step in a sequence can be set to a different value to modulate that destination.

The Pro 2’s sequencer also allows rests, ties, and sequences of variable length, all of which make for some very interesting and complex patterns, particularly when sequences are set to a mixture of odd and even numbers of steps.

Do I need to be careful of some voltage problems between Pro 2 and Sub37 when using DSI CV outs to Moog CV ins?

The Pro 2's CV outputs cover a range from 0 to +10 volts, the Sub 37 CV inputs respond to a range from 0 to +5 volts. So you'd have to use the DC offset parameter as a modulation source to compensate for that different CV range. In concrete terms this is what you would do if you'd like to control the Sub 37's oscillators' pitch with the CV1 output of the Pro 2:

Modulation slot 1: Note Number => 127 => CV out 1 (this sets the CV output to a scale of 1 volt per octave)
Modulation slot 2: DC => -64 => CV Out 1 (the DC offset of -64 will apply a -5v offset to the CV)

You'd have to do the same for the gate output.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:07:12 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 02:09:04 PM »
Really helpful. Pretty much all is clear now. Thanks again Paul.

I think I can't fight it anymore..See you soon with the report and (probably) more questions:)

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 02:23:59 PM »
Glad to be of help, urbangipsy.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 05:30:10 PM »
I have my own questions:
Q: Upon owning Pro 2, would I require/need for Roland TB-03;TR-09; or Korg Arp Odyssey Rev1/2FS?
(I have the same question re: DSI Rev2)

Thanks much for your help
KorgR3;DSI OB-6;Yamaha Reface DX;&CP
VST's:FM8,Dexed,DaHornet,PlogueChipSounds,
Anticipated $$$:
Synth: OberheimTVP, Arturia MatrixBrute, KorgMS20m, Korg Arp Rev1/2FS,(DSI Pro2;Rev2;vs Atmultitron)
Akemie's Castle, Make Noise 0-coast, Odytron
OtherModularSuggestions??
+Line6Helix

zangpa

• Composer and programer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 10:45:02 AM »
Hi. I can not seem to find out how to dc offset the Pro 2s gate out. I am also struggling with dc offseting to -5v 5v (to control the cutoff freq of my MS10)
Pål Asle Pettersen