[DSI Pro 2] Broken or Bug?

mosen

[DSI Pro 2] Broken or Bug?
« on: February 25, 2017, 12:30:52 AM »
Hello everybody,

I finally got a Pro2 and he really deserves all the laurels in the net with regard to sound and interface - super synth.

To my problem (loaded is the latest OS 1.2.0.2):

- it will jump Parameter values when editing (F1 CutOff, Amp Env Attack, LFO1) after I have passed the full range, it returns correct values.
- rarely all values are moved up and down in the OSC Mods Page (no edit all OSC selected)
- Value changes in the display are rarely smooth, but look rather distorted and flickering.

Now I read of all kinds of bugs (sync, midi) but my problems have not occured. What could be defect or are these still diseases that are fixed with an OS update?

Thank you!

Re: [DSI Pro 2] Broken or Bug?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 09:53:58 AM »
Congratulations on your Pro 2, mosen!

About you questions:

- it will jump Parameter values when editing (F1 CutOff, Amp Env Attack, LFO1) after I have passed the full range, it returns correct values.

If I understand correctly that sounds as if the pot mode is set to 'relative'. If that's the case it's normal that the full value only becomes available if the lower or upper limit of the potentiometer's travel is reached. Try different pot modes to see what works best for you.

- rarely all values are moved up and down in the OSC Mods Page (no edit all OSC selected)

If not all oscillators are selected, only the value of the selected oscillator should change.

- Value changes in the display are rarely smooth, but look rather distorted and flickering.

If you move a pot quickly that's normal behaviour.

mosen

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:44:10 AM »
Thx for the answer, but

Pot mode is Set to jump and the behavior is erratic. Means it seems like a broken encoder, but only sometimes. Thought about a Bug while high prozessor load. Similar to the Display errors.

The values in the osc Page do sometimes Change altogether, maybe also broken encoders...

Are the Pots and encoders known to be faulty?

Are there similar experiences?

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 04:22:32 AM »
Like I said, if you change parameter values fast, the according numeric values can appear distorted in the display; when you turn a pot and go from 0 to 127 in one second for example. "Distorted" in this case means that each one of the single values (e.g. 0-127) you're scanning through is not displayed crystal clear when you're turning a parameter knob at high speed.

I'm not entirely sure anymore if that's what you're talking about, as you spoke of "display errors". While what I was describing above may not always look elegant, its effect is pretty much irrelevant in practice, since exact values only become important when you're fine-tuning something, i.e. if you start to adjust parameters at a slower pace. And in those cases, nothing should appear distorted in the display.

The rest could be faulty pots. It's not a known issue though.

So I'd suggest to either get in touch with your retailer to get a replacement unit or to get in touch with the support: support@davesmithinstruments.com

mosen

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 05:29:44 AM »
OK, the Display glitches seem to be normal - fine.

Weird things happen in regard to the Potis:
I recognized, the value jumps and occasional "double Assignments" seem only to occur, when th Pro2 is sequenced by Live9 via the USB Midi. When those errors happen, and i stop the Playback in Live, immediately the Pots are working normal.
I will do some testings tonight: changing USB Port on the PC, using only direct Midi from the PC/no USB at all.

Another Question:
is it normal, that Parameter automation in the Daw controls only the last selected Pot/Parameter? E.g. i tweak the cutoff and record the automation in Live. As soon i touch another Pot (eg. Amp Attack) the previous Cutoff automation controls the Attack. This is weird and wrong. Are those Glitches according to each other?

thx for your answers!

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 06:16:45 AM »
Weird things happen in regard to the Potis:
I recognized, the value jumps and occasional "double Assignments" seem only to occur, when th Pro2 is sequenced by Live9 via the USB Midi. When those errors happen, and i stop the Playback in Live, immediately the Pots are working normal.
I will do some testings tonight: changing USB Port on the PC, using only direct Midi from the PC/no USB at all.

Sounds like it could be related to a MIDI data loop. Did you switch the Pro 2 to Local Control Off?

Another Question:
is it normal, that Parameter automation in the Daw controls only the last selected Pot/Parameter? E.g. i tweak the cutoff and record the automation in Live. As soon i touch another Pot (eg. Amp Attack) the previous Cutoff automation controls the Attack. This is weird and wrong. Are those Glitches according to each other?

You should be able to select different parameter CC numbers for the Pro 2 within Ableton in order to create individual automation tracks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:19:58 AM by Paul Dither »

mosen

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 06:31:49 AM »
Yep, ideed. Could be a Midi Loop.
But why do those glitches come after a while? Does a Midi Loop "build up"?

To those automations. Is this a normal behavior? If i understand correct, i have to manually select the midi cc lane in Live and draw those automations - not being able to realtime record? Is there a Setting in the Pro 2 "automate last used Parameter" which i can set to off?

best

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 06:38:05 AM »
Yep, ideed. Could be a Midi Loop.
But why do those glitches come after a while? Does a Midi Loop "build up"?

Could be. In either case, it's important to turn the "local synth" off if you'd like to avoid the risk of MIDI loops.

To those automations. Is this a normal behavior? If i understand correct, i have to manually select the midi cc lane in Live and draw those automations - not being able to realtime record? Is there a Setting in the Pro 2 "automate last used Parameter" which i can set to off?

If you properly set up the Pro 2 as an external instrument in Ableton, every parameter change should be recognized automatically. Are the MIDI settings of the Pro 2 set to CC instead of NRPN?

mosen

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 11:26:17 PM »
If you properly set up the Pro 2 as an external instrument in Ableton, every parameter change should be recognized automatically. Are the MIDI settings of the Pro 2 set to CC instead of NRPN?

Thanks Paul! After changing from NRPN to CC nothing of my previous problems occured. It seems that Live responds erratic to NRPN, causing all kind of problems. ;D
Big Smile!

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 11:49:41 PM »

Thanks Paul! After changing from NRPN to CC nothing of my previous problems occured. It seems that Live responds erratic to NRPN, causing all kind of problems. ;D
Big Smile!

Glad you got it working!

As for NRPN: Ableton doesn't support NRPN by default. There is a M4L device that you can use as a workaround: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/2203/nrpn-gen