Lots of Line/signal noise when USB is connected to laptop. Halp!

I have the tempest's and laptop's power chords plugged into the same power strip, using an old school apogee duet and slaving the tempest to logic's clock via USB and there is so much signal noise it's insane.  Once I unplug the USB, noise goes away.  Anyone have any ideas on how to eliminate this noise but still slave the tempest to the computer??

Thanks!

RobH

Re: Lots of Line/signal noise when USB is connected to laptop. Halp!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »
I have the tempest's and laptop's power chords plugged into the same power strip, using an old school apogee duet and slaving the tempest to logic's clock via USB and there is so much signal noise it's insane.  Once I unplug the USB, noise goes away.  Anyone have any ideas on how to eliminate this noise but still slave the tempest to the computer??

Thanks!

Use a midi port instead of usb?

I dont' get this maybe a better power pack of some kind? I'm in the UK where we have an extra ground prong in our plug sockets im not sure if this is why i dont get the usb feedback your talking about?

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »
Hmmm... so just a midi port that connects to the computer via usb?

I don't think it's a grounding issue because the noise goes away once usb is gone.  I think it's making some sort of loop...

RobH

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »
Hmmm... so just a midi port that connects to the computer via usb?

I don't think it's a grounding issue because the noise goes away once usb is gone.  I think it's making some sort of loop...

No i mean just use a midi port on your soundcard to control your tempest. Then you don't have to connect the usb.

edit - Oh i see your soundcard doesn't have midi ports. Well I guess you could invest in a midi port and try and circumvent it that way i don't know if that would work though. Have you tried plugging your power lead into your laptop while this is happening so its got a charge going to it and then should be grounded? I guess you probably always have it charging. Sorry i don't know much about this subject i use a desktop sorry mate.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:05:47 PM by RobH »

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 02:17:34 PM »
This sounds like a ground loop. Try changing your plug configurations for the Tempest and your laptop, i.e. try unplugging your laptop from the wall and see if the problem still exists, and try plugging your Tempest and the computer into the same outlet. You can also try using a surge protector/power conditioner, try powering your audio interface with a wall plug if it is bus powered normally, try plugging your Tempest into a different USB port, use a different or shielded USB cable, or try a USB hub if you haven't already.

If none of the above suggestions work, users have had good results using the following method. You must have an extra USB cable you don't mind modifying:

```

• Using wire strippers and/or wire cutters, Strip away a 10-15mm section of the rubber coating in the middle of the USB cable to expose the braided shielding.
  • With the wire cutters, carefully cut the shielding away entirely, exposing the 4 wires surrounded by the shield.
  • Make sure the shield is completely disconnected. Verify this by testing for continuity on both metal ends of the cable.
  • Cut the black wire, which is connected to pin #4 and represents ground. This creates a "ground-lift".
  • Fold the ground wire back and out of the way, then wrap the exposed section of the USB cable with electrical tape. Your ground noise should be gone.

```

If you'd rather not try a DIY fix, some companies also make USB signal isolators. Here are some examples:

**USA:** [USB signal isolator]

**EU:**  [USB signal isolator]

You can read more about locating and eliminating ground loops in your system at the following web link (PDF file):

[Understanding & Eliminating Ground Loops]
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »
I had these kind of issues with an ordinary laptop because it was not properly grounded.As soon as i was unplugging it's power cord and leave it powered by it's battery the problem wasn't there anymore.Never had this happening with my Macbook Pro...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:46:36 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
Yes, this is definitely a laptop grounding issue. There are a couple of solutions (some mentioned):
1) You can buy a ground lifter which attaches to the laptop plug to the outlet.
2) You can remove the third pin from the laptop power cable. I had done this and I worked perfectly but you have to be careful about frying your laptop by removing the cable while the power is on etc...you have been warned..
3) Sometimes connecting all your equipment to the one wall outlet using power strips helps.
4) remove battery and use the laptop plugged in
5) just use battery power...not always great given crappy power saving vs battery issues

I'd hate to tell you to buy another laptop since you can never fully tell which components are used in which laptop unless you by from a pro audio computer retailer like ADK Pro Audio...they stuff is top notch. Totally designed from the ground up to work specifically with audio (including components used, bios settings, o/s settings, correct component config/setup.

LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)