The Relic 6 synth module

The Relic 6 synth module
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:33:36 PM »
I didn't find a discussion about the Relic 6 when I searched the forum  :-\. At NAMM this year an 18 year old kid Jacob Brashears introduced a synth prototype he is said to have designed. He is calling it the Relic 6. I think you guys saw enough NAMM videos by now to have come across this. Maybe not. Otherwise look up the Relic 6 on gearslutz.com or sonicstate.com. The Relic 6 interface has some good ideas and it sounded good. Regardless of opinion about the design I think it is impressive this kid saw the project this far. Check out his site http://shearelectronics.com/voice-card.html  I'm not sure it would be difficult to find enough source material to design this after the Oberheim X. Not saying I could have pulled this off though. I'm fine patching and playing. But are there no patents to Tom's SEM or the Curtis Filter design? If not, best of luck to Jacob. What do you guys think?

eXode

Re: The Relic 6 synth module
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 12:58:08 AM »
Relic 6 uses a digital implementation that emulates the CEM3310 Envelope Generator but there's no Curtis filter afaik.

I very much doubt that there's a patent on the SEM filter considering the fact that there has been several implementations of the SEM filter in various synthesizers and modules.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 05:26:13 AM »
It would be very interesting if he released a OB-X* drop-in voice card and/or CPU board replacement–that would open up a lot of possibilities for folks who have less-than-eight-voice (or six, in the case of the OB-SX) units. It would also extend the lives of these products well into the future. Ultimately, though, that's a selfish request on my part, and it may not be viable without changing the behavior of the envelopes / LFOs (i.e., match them to SEM-style behavior, rather than software-generated as used in the Relic).

There are also a lot of (admittedly niche) business / product opportunities for older vintage* units that, I don't feel, often get the attention they need–say, replacement key-assign electronics for Four- and Eight-Voice chassis, etc. Even as small-run projects, it has been shown that (well-heeled) owners are willing to pay for faithful, non-destructive modifications to improve the functionality and robustness of older units.

* - Marion Systems may be looking for someone to help out with a Four-Voice or Eight-Voice reissue, for example.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:29:08 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 08:43:12 PM »
Sounds like how Uli Behringer got started.
* megamarkd Ducks the cries of derision that explode with the mention of the Uri-man
It sounds nice and does a great impersonation of the OB-X.  What else does it do?

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 11:40:44 AM »
You piqued my interest... so I searched and saw one the NAMM video by SOS.

I'm impressed by it.... it sounded great on video... i'm not sure which is more "Oberheim" :D the Relic-6 or the OB-6

I do think he has something and I wish him luck!
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m