Closest sounding VST

Closest sounding VST
« on: February 23, 2017, 01:34:11 AM »
Hi I have my Mopho stored in a lockup in my studio and rarely bring it home.  Sometimes when at home I want to work on some basslines in Ableton.  I know I can't transfer the patches directly between the Mopho and a VST but I was wondering what you guys would say is the closest virtual VST synth to a Mopho.  One that gives me the best fighting chance of dialing in a similar patch on the laptop so at least it resembles the hardware sound.

Re: Closest sounding VST
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »
Hi I have my Mopho stored in a lockup in my studio and rarely bring it home.  Sometimes when at home I want to work on some basslines in Ableton.  I know I can't transfer the patches directly between the Mopho and a VST but I was wondering what you guys would say is the closest virtual VST synth to a Mopho.  One that gives me the best fighting chance of dialing in a similar patch on the laptop so at least it resembles the hardware sound.

From a synthesis perspective, Analog (for Ableton Live) should cover most of the bases (pun intended), iff you feel like spending the money ($99 USD).

However–the one thing it doesn't do (that the Tetra and Mophos do) is possess a sub-oscillator on each DCO, though this behavior is closer to the Prophet '08 (which lacks suboscs anyway).

And the folks at AAS are pretty good about maintaining UltraAnalog, from whence it originates (but is double the price): https://www.applied-acoustics.com/ultra-analog-va-2, and which may be a better option if you're looking to have this available to you outside of Ableton.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:11:46 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

chysn

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:09:49 PM »
You might consider investing in a used Mopho Desktop to keep at home. That way, you'll only need to do the work of programming once, and your sounds will be consistent wherever you are. If you're planning on putting money into a softsynth, maybe you'll find the convenience worth a little bit extra.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:53:06 PM »
Thanks for suggestions.  Hardware version at home is a good thought. Looks like they sell for around £200 on eBay.