One surprise a day: pan not working anymore

One surprise a day: pan not working anymore
« on: February 22, 2017, 06:36:00 AM »
Hello folks: some of you, specially Yorgos, may have seen me struggling around here sinc I acquired a Tempest.

News of the day, pan control not working anymore. I have only main stereo out connected and done calibration three times in a month, one of which few days ago.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks, any further help much appreciated ^_^

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
Re: One surprise a day: pan not working anymore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 07:07:38 AM »
Call support and create a ticket;) Sorry for your troubles but if you calibrated "properly" after installing the latest beta O/S and your cables are correct out of the mains (unbalanced / TS /undamaged), there is nothing else to check. You could plugin your headphones and check though. If it works with headphones then your cables are wrong or your audio routing in interface/mixer is incorrect.

Cheers
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 11:27:40 AM »
Done, Thanks Lucid
what surprises me is that I've been scrolling along a lot of posts here regarding documented bugs but still I get the Tempest to act unpredictably OUT of those bug lists.. maybe I just got a broken / Faulty one?
Yes, I knew I was buying a controversial machine but what I've found is definitely out of my expectations, in the bad direction of course.
Now I look at DSI products with different eyes...

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »
Hello folks: some of you, specially Yorgos, may have seen me struggling around here sinc I acquired a Tempest.

News of the day, pan control not working anymore. I have only main stereo out connected and done calibration three times in a month, one of which few days ago.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks, any further help much appreciated ^_^

Humour me, clockworkpictures... First of all, I challenge you to update to the latest beta, Main and Voice.  I guarantee you that it's more stable than the "official" operating system you're currently running.  I mean, it's not like it can get any worse, right?  Do the update over USB if you can, calibrate afterwards without any cables plugged in (just once is fine despite whatever superstitions you may have heard), and if that doesn't resolve your issues then contact DSI support.  The problems you're describing are not normal, so either it's user error on your end (i.e. your connectivity) or it's possible that your Tempest has a bad voice chip.

But before you even do that, tell me, what do you have your Tempest connected to currently, and what cables are you using?  Assuming you're running to two mono rails on your mixer or two separate inputs on your sound card, are those channels panned hard left and right respectively?  Have you checked to see if the issue persists in your headphones as Lucid suggested?

Cheers!

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 11:34:24 PM »
I was not humouring you Yorgos, I was paying respect to your endless effort here! ^_^
Os's are all latest version...I've contacted support, let's see what happens, thanks!

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 12:13:16 AM »
I was not humouring you Yorgos, I was paying respect to your endless effort here! ^_^
Os's are all latest version...I've contacted support, let's see what happens, thanks!

Sorry, clockworkpictures, last we chatted on here you said that you were using OS 1.4.

Hi again: noodling and learning with my my new (used) Tempest:
While practicing I noticed that certain sounds, when recorded live or in the step editor, seemed to have constant tuning shifts, like let's say the accent you hear on the first beat of a tempo click. This does not happen with every sound so at first I imagined it was just a feature of the individual sound, maybe connected to velocity so I tried to record on fixed velocity or enering notes manually in the step editor. That did not work so I took a dive into sound's architecture: still nothing seems to be responsible for that effect. Last, I wondered if it could be a voice-related issue: actually if I set that sound to a specific voice, the "accent" every fourth beat disappears. Plus, switching between voices a slight change in pitch is audible, different in each voice assign.

bug or feature? I am quite puzzled.
thanks a lot in advance: as you can imagine this is quite preventing me to start playing seriously.

main os 1.4
voice os 1.4
Panel 1.3
Sam os 1.1

Hence why I suggested that you update your Tempest to the latest two betas: Main 1.4.4 and Voice 1.5.

Anyway, you didn't answer the question that both myself and LucidSFX asked: does the panning issue happen if you plug headphones into the Phones jack on your Tempest?

And since when does Yorgos get my gratitude (smirk)?

Cheers!

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 03:37:21 PM »
Did i hear my name? :P