Additional Feature Request List

blewis

Re: Additional Feature Request List
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »

A desktop module also would have had to be larger than the Prophet 12 module.

2 years ago I did a scaled mock-up using the P-12 and Pro-2 interfaces. No one cared. Photoshop skills certainly didn’t help. :-)

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0XGWZuqDGnMNyT;F330EF6C-09A4-420D-9FDD-E8C96B993265

« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2017, 11:59:30 PM »
Nice mock ups pics! The thing that got me going on about the concept (which I had seen spoken of in older posts and discussion on why a module may or may not be favored as a production effort by DSI) - was when I popped the hood on the synth and observed that the control panel is conveniently separated into two sections. The entire zone to from the left side of the display to the right edge of the control surface is one PCB, everything on the left of that line is another, they're connected with a ribbon cable. This is the largest single sub-assembly in the unit, (besides the keybed) at about 16" wide. The power supply module is actually pretty large, possible a desktop module could use a smaller type? The voice board with all the jacks is much smaller than the knobs board, and neither of those are as wide as the Rev2 Desktop at 21.6" (that probably includes the end cheeks).

So it almost looks like with very little re-design a desktop box could be achieved by basically arranging existing components and designing the enclosure. Likely there would need to be some mode switching to get at the parameters that would not have dedicated knobs - but that seems like a manageable issue.

All that said - would bet that the choice not to pursue it thusfar likely comes down to a market evaluation - even with minimal dev effort necessary it would constitute another inventory item and would pull resources from other angles to support the inevitable peculiarities of modifying the OS.

I do wonder if it's generally assumed, (and if so would challenge the idea), that a desktop module inherently needs to considerably cheaper than a full keyboard. (Guessing that historically is what is assumed) - but there are certainly use cases for a smaller unit that isn't simply a stripped down version of the full instrument, rather some kind of extension to it.

« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2018, 06:00:45 AM »
+1 linear FM ..this would be my first choice for another update :)

« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2018, 07:32:12 AM »
+1 linear FM ..this would be my first choice for another update :)

Would love it as well!

« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2018, 02:21:03 PM »
Please Dave, random mode for the sequencer, please !!!

MDMA

« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2018, 12:30:53 AM »
Linear FM!!!  It’s beel too long.....please make this happen!!!!
DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

Ted

« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2018, 12:34:12 AM »
  • Would love to have a method of switching to Bi-Polar control of KEY>F1 FREQ (as well as KEY>F2 FREQ) that doesn't involve using a modulation slot.
  • Linear FM
  • Slower LFO rates
  • Option to turn keyboard off when utilizing Sequencer

« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »
+1 for linear FM

I'd like to add a few simple suggestions for the next update that would be really easy to implement.

1) A switch to adjust the envelope attack slopes from linear to concave or convex.

2) Single shot mode for the LFOs, essentially transforming them into simple envelopes

3) More/Better sounding wavetables. I don't use the wavetables much. A lot of them sound kinda dated and/or uninteresting. Just my opinion, but Massive and Zebra 2 have very interesting and useful wavetables, and the Pro 2 would really benefit from adopting these types of waveforms.

Thanks for listening,

M.

« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »
I think some better sounding wavetables should be added/or we should have the ability to import some of our own wavetables. I agree with the reply above saying the wavetables are dull. They just don't sound nearly as good as some other wavetables do. They sound thin, harsh and eerily similar one to another

The ability to modulate the shape ( switch between waveforms ) and not in a morphy kind of way ( which can already be done using the wavetables ) but in more abrupt fashion to create glitchy sequences ( by automating through the shapes quickly ).

Linear fm would be cool too but I really think the addition of better sounding wavetables would make much more difference

Finally if we could modulate the oscillator shape in a more subtle way to get more analog-ish sounds that would be great. I tried doing this by modulating the oscillator slope with a slow lfo and a random modulation source and also doing a bunch of this stuff do the oscillator shape ( the saw wave in this instance) with the goal of achieving a slightly different phase/waveform for each time a note is pressed and make it more unstable . However i think the saw shape filters some stuff out and makes it too drastic

Ted

« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2018, 04:03:20 PM »
I think some better sounding wavetables should be added/or we should have the ability to import some of our own wavetables. I agree with the reply above saying the wavetables are dull. They just don't sound nearly as good as some other wavetables do. They sound thin, harsh and eerily similar one to another

The ability to modulate the shape ( switch between waveforms ) and not in a morphy kind of way ( which can already be done using the wavetables ) but in more abrupt fashion to create glitchy sequences ( by automating through the shapes quickly ).

Finally if we could modulate the oscillator shape in a more subtle way to get more analog-ish sounds that would be great. I tried doing this by modulating the oscillator slope with a slow lfo and a random modulation source and also doing a bunch of this stuff do the oscillator shape ( the saw wave in this instance) with the goal of achieving a slightly different phase/waveform for each time a note is pressed and make it more unstable . However i think the saw shape filters some stuff out and makes it too drastic

Agree..

« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2018, 03:29:15 AM »
Sequencer to send midi notes, like the arp does now.  I know it’s been asked for before and I don’t know if there is a good technical reason this can’t be done.

« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »
Sequencer to send midi notes, like the arp does now.  I know it’s been asked for before and I don’t know if there is a good technical reason this can’t be done.

You can already send MIDI notes from the Pro 2's sequencer.
SEQUENTIAL

Ted

« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2018, 05:44:33 PM »
Would also like to see keytracking as a modulation destination.

« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2018, 03:28:00 AM »

You can already send MIDI notes from the Pro 2's sequencer.

Yea sussed it with some help from others (much appreciated).  Can sequences sent to external equipment from the Pro 2 be transposed from the keyboard? If not is this a possible additional feature?

« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2018, 04:19:42 AM »
+1 Linear FM!

Aftertouch as a mod destination.

« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2018, 02:11:12 AM »
After bug fixes (the MIDI clock input bug drives me so crazy I rarely use MIDI sync any more)...

I'd love a more interesting range of digital waveforms. Those of the original Evolver would be great, nastiness and all.
Then I'd like an option for the envelope decays to be exponential, to save all the messing with the mod matrix just to get a typical synth response.
Lastly, yeah linear FM!

MDMA

« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2018, 01:35:51 AM »
After all this time do we assume that updates for the Pro 2 are now ceased as DSI are concentrating on new products?
I hope not and a new update picking up a few of the most talked about features would be amazing, but since the Rev 2 and now with the X imminent, it would seem this way.
DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »
After all this time do we assume that updates for the Pro 2 are now ceased as DSI are concentrating on new products?
I hope not and a new update picking up a few of the most talked about features would be amazing, but since the Rev 2 and now with the X imminent, it would seem this way.

It's been over a year since the last update, so I'm not counting on there being any more significant updates for the Pro 2. Which is definitely a shame. This synth has so much more potential.
For my FM needs I've turned to Eurorack ie. Intellijel Shapeshifter which also does Wavetable synthesis. That combined with soft synths like Serum and Zebra 2 I have every base covered quite well.
It's too bad because Dave Smith claimed he wanted the Pro 2 to be a forward thinking synth but I always wind up using it for traditional subtractive sounds. Oh well. But, it sounds good for what it does.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:25:54 PM by Falcore »

ttc

« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2018, 10:04:43 AM »
One thing I'd really like, that I haven't heard anyone mention, is the implementation of some sort of setting in paraphonic mode that limits the oscillators used to only 3 so the 4th one can be used as a modulation source. I think that this would be amazing, and doesn't sound like it would be too difficult to implement.

Seconding this one.

But for a different reason: I'd love to be able to play three note chords in paraphonic mode - if I have a long release patch and I'm playing single hand three note chords, one note from the prior chord rings out, making things cloudy. Obviously this is great for some patches, but it would be great to be able to modify Paraphonic mode to 3 voices only.

« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2018, 09:05:09 PM »
Implementing the Unison/share mode from the Korg Mono/Poly. Essentially if you play one note, all 4 oscillators are used, play a 2nd and you have osc’s 1 and two on 1 note, 3 and 4 on the 2nd. Play 3 notes or 4 notes and they each get one oscillator. Does not sound that interesting on paper, but is capable of some unique and expressive effects.