P6 "versus" Juno 6 - two versions, one song...

P6 "versus" Juno 6 - two versions, one song...
« on: February 19, 2017, 09:54:32 AM »
(I'll post this here and in Your Music as well...)

I've done two simple versions of an old song of mine. One version using only the Juno 6 and the other using only the Prophet 6. No effects, no EQ. These are up on Soundcloud and there's a block of semi-detailed text there describing the tracks, but I'll say quickly here that in order to make it a fair fight, the Prophet is recorded in mono and with only one osc in use.

I'm tempted to do a third mix with both versions in at once, but for now, it's an A/B moment. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/anton-barbeau/sets/you-can-move-a-mountain-juno-6-vs-prophet-6

lt773

Re: P6 "versus" Juno 6 - two versions, one song...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 02:33:39 PM »
They both sound good! I'd like to hear a mixture of the two. Maybe the P6 as the lower parts and the Juno doing higher stuff

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 04:33:36 PM »
They both sound good! I'd like to hear a mixture of the two. Maybe the P6 as the lower parts and the Juno doing higher stuff

Glad you like - thanks for saying! I've started working on a version combining the two, keeping all elements from both takes in the mix. But I suppose what I'd really like to do is conjure a proper "mixed" mix with EQ and effects etc. In other words, a mix with a bit of time spent on it. The two versions posted were laid out just to show the two synths in their respective plain glories.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 06:49:55 PM »
The Juno-6 seems to hold its own, which makes sense, given the Roland filter!
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 07:24:49 PM »
The Juno-6 seems to hold its own, which makes sense, given the Roland filter!

It really does, and I made a point in the demo of not using its famous chorus. I've seen it written in synth forums too many times that "the Juno only sounds good because of its chorus," but I think that's more it's legend than the truth. I've had my Juno only maybe six months longer than I've had my Prophet and while it's such a basic synth to program, it really does have such a lovely and musically versatile sound.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 09:59:59 AM »
An updated version is up on Soundcloud. I stopped trying to match the P6 and the Juno, and am now just trying to do right by the song/track in general. Loads more P6 added, plus some Evolver touches and a bit of 808. It's a rough mix, but it's sounding different enough that I figured it might be a curious listen for anyone who checked out the original tracks. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/anton-barbeau/mountain-p6-vs-j6-all-in-rough-mix