The disppearing sound

The disppearing sound
« on: February 18, 2017, 01:28:01 AM »
Hi all
Got my Tempest about two months ago, finally got the time to insert into my workflow. Of course I stumbled in most of the known issues and updated to latest os version.

Yesterday I was happily poking around recreating Dr.Who's theme and... the bass sound just dropped its volume by a fair 80%.

All sounds go to main outs, there is no sound chocking (problem persists also while in solo), tried to reassign sound on pad, switched unit off and on and problem is still there. To be precise it happened just after saving.

Any hint? It's really hard to resist the temptation of selling out this psycho.
Thanks

Re: The disppearing sound
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 05:10:56 AM »
Are you having cables plugged in individual outs?Can you check one by one your voice & main outs?Did your OS loaded properly?What's your system info?Have you calibrated after the update with all cables unplugged?

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »
Only main outs plugged. Os updated to latest  beta and calibrated properly. Tried to power off and then on again the unit multiple times (can't think of another way to ensure that os loaded properly). Update: tried to assign that voice to an individual out and got it back even if to an unusually louder volume.

I may try to run the calibration routine again but point is: assuming it works again how can I understand what happened so It won't happen again, specially in a live situation? Thanks for your reply ^_^

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 08:59:25 AM »
When you updated Tempest did you get any error messages?Are the lights on ribon reached to the max?That's how you can tell if OS loaded properly?Can you go to your system info page and let me know of your OS,voice version etc.?
Also do you know how T's voices work?
http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,78.0.html

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 09:27:53 AM »
So to be clear - you're saying that one particular sound drops in volume but only when running through the main outs?

First thing I'd try is assigning that sound to all voices in sequence with all cables unplugged apart from the mains. If you only get the issue on one particular voice then you know that either that voice is faulty or its calibration is off.

If you get the problem on all voices then the issue is more likely to be pilot error!

One thing that can cause this is incorrect polarity in your cables or setup somewhere - if your left/right channels are inverted in phase you could get dropouts which are often more noticeable on bass frequencies.

Having the distortion or compression on even just a touch can also radically kill the bass on the main outs - if you have these set to 'beat' as source you could have them turned up without knowing it.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 10:52:41 AM »
Well: I re-calibrated the tempest and problem vanished. (Updated to last beta one month ago was successful). Hope it won't happen again or at least will give me some hjnt on WHY ^_^

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 07:30:11 PM »
Every time Tempest is updated needs the calibration routine with all cables unplugged that's how it works..If you follow this step it won't happen again ;)
Well: I re-calibrated the tempest and problem vanished. (Updated to last beta one month ago was successful). Hope it won't happen again or at least will give me some hjnt on WHY ^_^

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 11:35:36 PM »
Just to be clear again: tempest was already been calibrated after update more than one month ago. I just did the calibration again as a last resort but no further calibration was done inbetween. There is still no identified reason for what happened.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 02:44:13 AM »
Do you remember if you had your cables unplugged at that time?Also was the calibration routine successful?From my experience it won't happen again but if something goes wrong you should check your voices one by one..

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 03:21:59 AM »
Yes: all cables were disconnected and I assume calibration was successuful since it solved some issues I noticed just after buying it (it was you on this forum suggesting me to calibrate so thanks again for your presence and support)... fingers crossed for now, hoping it won't happen again!

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 03:43:58 AM »
There was this voodoo hoodoo opinion on the unofficial forum that the calibration routine should executed 3 times in a row to actually work..Maybe in your case 2 was the lucky charm ;)