FX unit for Tempest

FX unit for Tempest
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:19:58 PM »
After researching multi-in/out effects units such as the Ensoniq DP4/DP Pro, Kurzweil KSP8, Eventide Eclipse V4 and even the more boutique single purpose stuff like Strymon Timeline, i'm thinking to myself, I might just build myself an analog modular FX box...?

What do you guys use for effects?

I'm kinda doubting this idea for the fact that I have a ton of superb VST effects now, so why spend the money!? but i'd kind like to build a multi-in/out box just for the fact i can use it live. In conjunction with my existing setup, or just a simple 6-voice tempest set, with effects.

I'd kinda like to run all of the 6 outs through dedicated effects. I found the hexinverter page and could visualise even building a small summing mixer type box (along the lines of the Mutant Hot Glue) with patchable effects i can use either insert or send.

I at least want an SSL buss type compressor to run at least a stereo drum track through. And at least 2 send effects #1(bucket bridade delay > phaser > autopan) and #2(tapeish delay > spring reverb) + maybe a dedicated digital reverb (plate if possible)...

I'd really appreciate some advice from current or former external effect users...
Should i just score a cheap Ensoniq DP Pro and be done with it?
or maybe forget the whole external effect shenanigans and just lower my audio buffer and run the tempest into VST effects via Ableton Live?...
Is MIDI control essential to you? Is it possible to change effects/patches on one of these multi-effect boxes via MIDI messages from the Tempest?
Anyone here build some dedicated analog effects for their Tempest?
Any info would be very handy for me, thank you.

Cheers
Simon

P.S. Some resources I've found...

mixer/bus compressor/distortion
http://store.hexinverter.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_72&product_id=85

ssl clone
http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm

Some real nice analog DIY kits
http://buildyourownclone.com
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:15:07 AM by onesnzeros »

Re: FX unit for Tempest
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 12:25:34 AM »
How about these for DIY stuff ;)
https://pcbgrinder.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=64

The modular route is much more expensive and not so compact than the software route but IMHO so much more rewarding!If you have the time,space & cash of course go modular...Also there are many pedals out there to choose from and create your own pedal board with all kinds of routings..The good thing is you can combine both of these methods as they share the modular factor..
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:30:51 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 02:25:14 AM »
Cheers
Yeah i'm kinda sold on the idea of building an FX box about the same size as the the Tempest.
hopefully be able to just plug in a wall wart type source and go for it.
I already built a MIDI mixing desk which I use for one of my live projects...
I was hoping to use it to control the Tempest, but no, $3000 doesn't include MIDI CC apparently!!?

bozo

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 02:49:05 AM »
I use an Aphex 201 across the main outs most of the time, the T's sound really comes to life with that on it.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 08:53:48 AM »
Cheers
Yeah i'm kinda sold on the idea of building an FX box about the same size as the the Tempest.

I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but I encourage EVERYONE to add an Octatrack to the Tempest :)

Not only does it give you 4 inputs / 8 tracks worth of FX, but also sampling, looping, and all kinds of other fun stuff. It really brings the Tempest to life. I love running the Tempest through Octatrack's comb filter, the Dark Reverb is really nice, and using the echo freeze delay on the master to do beat repeat / glitchy type stuff is super fun.

Setup a pre-sliced flex track on one side of the crossfader and a thru track on another and it's like instant Tempest beat remix!

Ok, so it's not remotely what you specified in your original post, but I'd at least consider it. They're really great together. Oh and you can use the Octatrack's MIDI tracks to sequence some of the beatwide FX, or 4 note polyphonic synth on one of the Tempest's sounds.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 01:56:30 PM »
Ah!You beat me on that...I was about to post it!I own the combo and it is exactly as you said it and even more!Now i'm waiting reviews for the new MPC Live and if they're good i'm all in..I like very much the portability of it..
Cheers

I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but I encourage EVERYONE to add an Octatrack to the Tempest :)

Not only does it give you 4 inputs / 8 tracks worth of FX, but also sampling, looping, and all kinds of other fun stuff. It really brings the Tempest to life. I love running the Tempest through Octatrack's comb filter, the Dark Reverb is really nice, and using the echo freeze delay on the master to do beat repeat / glitchy type stuff is super fun.

Setup a pre-sliced flex track on one side of the crossfader and a thru track on another and it's like instant Tempest beat remix!

Ok, so it's not remotely what you specified in your original post, but I'd at least consider it. They're really great together. Oh and you can use the Octatrack's MIDI tracks to sequence some of the beatwide FX, or 4 note polyphonic synth on one of the Tempest's sounds.

Stoss

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 03:29:52 PM »
Damn... you people will make me buy an Octatrack sooner or later.

I run the Tempest through an Oto Biscuit. Sweet lovin'.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 08:50:24 PM »
thank you all

yes i have considered an Octotrack. I've kinda been waiting to hear from users of the new MPC jobbies, as I'd possibly prefer one of those... but I'm not sure that they actually have FX built in?
I guess that the Octotrack would mean another 6 months or so out of action, with a manual open...
Are the effects on the Octotrack really up to scratch? Can I do 24/48 on the Octotrack? the MPC is only 44.1.
ok, off to Elektron.se....

i really like the idea of a modular effects box, but i know from the experience building the MIDI controller, it turns expensive really fast.

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 09:57:57 PM »
OT Specs: 44.1kHz, 24-bit D/A and A/D converters

I have the OT. I still haven't decided on a preferred setup. The FX are good not great. The delays are pretty awesome. The flexibility is definitely unique. Sampling on the fly isn't all it is cracked up to be unless you prefer glitch. However, for transitions into next Tempest track it can be very useful. Essentially record a loop and play it back on the next pass (cross fader technique), stop the T then load up the next project then crossfade back into the Tempest Project channels. Now you are mixing back to back.

6 months out of action....???....more like 2 years before you really understand it. I have had it for a long time and am very familiar with it but have not explored all aspects still. Granted I spent most of the last 12 months learning to program the Tempest and programming sounds on the Virus but don't count of "getting it" in such a short time. I consider myself intelligent and the workflow is strange to say the least. However, once you hit that a-ha moment you will start dreaming about various setups...which is now my problem...

Personally I would love to buy the Eventide H8000FW. Considering the staggering amount of money it costs, I would love to know of any sub $2000 multi FX units that can handle at least 5 channels of audio to accept the voices from the Tempest. ADAT would be the best method for me to route audio from RME's UFX. Any thoughts? Do good ones exist?

LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 09:35:47 AM »
What's your budget?

It's not commonly thought of as an FX box for synths but the AxeFX 2 is from Fractal Audio is absolutely frickin' awesome and will give you four individual mono or two stereo fx chains of multiple fx if configured correctly. And the fx are stellar. I couldn't praise this unit enough. It's expensive though.

At the other end of the scale look out for cheapo outdated rackmount gear on ebay. I bought a reverb and delay recently for around £30 each and have got a ton of use for both. For £200 and a bit of patience you could probably score a perfectly decent delay, verb, compressor and distortion.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:46:15 AM by muleskinner »
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 10:31:48 AM »
$2000 CAD is the budget;)
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 12:34:46 PM »
I tried using the axe fx for my tempest fx. In the end, I found it didnt quite 'blend' as well. I notice some compression on some of the effects and just couldnt bring myself to love it for that. Too bad, it (the axe) was gna be used for its 4 inputs and as a discrete mixer. Still epic for guitar tho.  In the end, I rebought a couple eventide boxes and have been happy. My routing is limited, but the tempest is so hands on, the fx should be too imho. I was using multiple outs on the tempest as well, but surely missed being able to run such a simple fx chain. In the studio, all bets are off. No fx plugin or hardware stacking is safe. Because the tempest has such modest external midi controllability, I am using it in conjunction with ableton/loops. I would suggest keeping it uber simple for live use, and going BIG for studio use. The h8 looks amazing, but damn the price. If nothing else, you have GOT to tinker with the eventide timefactor. It totally doubles the tempest and has a looper for on the fly whackiness.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 03:20:18 PM »
What's your budget?

It's not commonly thought of as an FX box for synths but the AxeFX 2 is from Fractal Audio is absolutely frickin' awesome and will give you four individual mono or two stereo fx chains of multiple fx if configured correctly. And the fx are stellar. I couldn't praise this unit enough. It's expensive though.

Comparably, on gigs where I'm strictly doing synth duties and not using my guitar rig, I run my Tempest though my Helix... There's really nothing I can't accomplish with that setup.  And I have the floorboard, so I can control the FX with my feet, leaving my hands free for playing the Tempest.  But again, not the cheapest solution.

At other times I use an Octatrack... Equally awesome combo!

Cheers!