P5 Cheap Trick: Mod & Pitch Wheel

P5 Cheap Trick: Mod & Pitch Wheel
« on: February 11, 2017, 09:03:24 AM »
Here's a very easy way to get more from a Prophet 5 pitch and mod wheel. Remove the Lexan assemblies from the aluminum bracket. Take a coping saw and carefully remove the detentes from the wheels. Removing the detentes will allow for full potentiometer range. For the pitchwheel, this means the full audio range, 9 octaves plus some limited frequencies outside of Human hearing.

For the mod wheel, this means drastic wave shape modulation, I love the results with squarewave.

Remember for the pitch wheel, you'll need to re center for A-440, a good reason to use that button when adjusting the wheel. Always take care when tightening screws on the wheels, lexan is brittle and can crack with too much screw pressure.

For those concerned about the increased range and possible damage to the associated circuits, I performed this modification on my P5 in 1986 with no ill effects. Analog circuits in this case are most accomodating. Try this and have fun with extended audio range an crazy modulation possibilities.
pInK p5 GuY