Anyone Sampled the Pro2 to Fake a P-6/OB-6?

blewis

Anyone Sampled the Pro2 to Fake a P-6/OB-6?
« on: February 06, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »
Just wondering. Someone had posted somewhere some adjustments to make a Pro-2 sound like an OB-6 (or was it TVP?).

Got me thinking. How close could you get with a multi-sample? It would have to be a fairly static preset - I.e. You can't emulate manually tweaking the filter.

How many keys do you need to sample to capture poly-mod?

blewis

Re: Anyone Sampled the Pro2 to Fake a P-6/OB-6?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 06:25:26 PM »
Why you ask? I have a Prophet-6 and Pro-2. Have thought of getting the Ob-6 module, but have wondered how close I could get to emulating it sampling the pro-2

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 02:56:08 AM »
This is not really a direct answer, but did you see Marc Doty's video about the filter comparison between the Pro 2, TVS Pro, and the OB-6? It's very short and only about the LP filter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kElNTHvLQqA

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:07:57 AM »
I've used the Pro-2 to mimic not an OB-6, but a Tom Oberheim SEM, using the Pro-2's SEM filter.

There are some things that need to be adjusted as far as the filter tracking (highly non-linear, even when keyboard tracking is off at the SEM), and the base Pro-2 digital oscillators lack the fundamental that the SEM oscillators do (so one ends up using the remaining two oscs as sine to beef up the sound).

But it can be done–just not paraphonically–and sounds pretty good when each unit (SEM and Pro-2) are panned to 10 and 2 on the clock.

I'd guess that the same applies to the Prophet-6, and perhaps the OB-6, by extension.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:12:34 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

blewis

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »
Thanks for replying David!  Actually, it was your post that inspired my question, but I was having horrible time finding it yesterday.

For reference:  http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,949.msg11039.html#msg11039