Disable Midi Program Change data

MMYYKK

• Science
    • MMYYKK
Disable Midi Program Change data
« on: February 06, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »
Peace,

I am trying to figure out how to stop my Prophet 06 from sending program change data via midi. To be clear I want to be able to change programs and banks within the prophet without changing program banks on the other synths I have connected. I have already tried disabling ParamXmit by setting it to "OFF" but this does not stop sending the program change data. does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks.

Re: Disable Midi Program Change data
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 02:39:42 PM »
Hm, selecting the option OFF for the Param Xmit settings should turn off the transmission of parameters. So yeah, technically it should be possible to not have the Data Increment and Data Decrement buttons affect other synths that are connected via MIDI.

MMYYKK

• Science
    • MMYYKK
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »
Hm, selecting the option OFF for the Param Xmit settings should turn off the transmission of parameters. So yeah, technically it should be possible to not have the Data Increment and Data Decrement buttons affect other synths that are connected via MIDI.

Just as I thought. so does this mean that my unit is defective if this is not the case? or is there some other function that works in tandem with this function that I'm not aware of? I've been through the manual multiple times but I cant seem to find any solutions...

MMYYKK

• Science
    • MMYYKK
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 04:13:22 PM »
Further Info,

The other synth's I have connected via midi are:

Moog Sub 37
Rolland HS-60
Korg MicroKorg

I Don't think the MicroKorg can receive program change data so no issue there. I was able to turn off "receive program changes", by menu diving in the Sub37 which fixed the problem there. However, the HS-60 is an older unit and doesn't seem to have any options to block or select which incoming midi messages you want to accept.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 04:18:45 PM »
Well, usually turning off the transmission of parameter data on the Prophet-6 alone should fix the problem. Is the Prophet-6 sending all parameter changes, or only the program change data?

MMYYKK

• Science
    • MMYYKK
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »
Well, usually turning off the transmission of parameter data on the Prophet-6 alone should fix the problem. Is the Prophet-6 sending all parameter changes, or only the program change data?

It's currently sending all parameter change data. I'm receiving Mod wheel, Pitch bend, Pedal Hold, and program change data. Regardless of whether ParamXmit is "OFF, CC or NR".

MMYYKK

• Science
    • MMYYKK
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 04:32:20 PM »
One thing I should maybe also mention is that I'm currently going "thru" the HS-60 to get to the SUB37. I don't see how that would have any effect on what data is being transmitted but I just figure I'd mention it.

MMYYKK

• Science
    • MMYYKK
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 04:39:28 PM »
I've found a temporary solution by limiting the HS60 to receiving only keyboard/note and pedal hold messages via a switch on the rear panel. But, this comes at the cost of my pitch bend and modwheel data which is highly annoying.

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 04:41:54 PM »
One thing I should maybe also mention is that I'm currently going "thru" the HS-60 to get to the SUB37. I don't see how that would have any effect on what data is being transmitted but I just figure I'd mention it.

Nah, that doesn't affect what data is being transmitted. This might seem like a stupid question, but is MIDI Out set to MIDI on the Prophet-6?

MMYYKK

• Science
    • MMYYKK
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 06:32:15 PM »

Nah, that doesn't affect what data is being transmitted. This might seem like a stupid question, but is MIDI Out set to MIDI on the Prophet-6?

It's set to midi.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 02:15:37 AM »
I'd just get in touch with the support then.

Base Mosquito

• Artist and Music Producer at Base Mosquito
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 02:13:08 PM »
Peace,

I am trying to figure out how to stop my Prophet 06 from sending program change data via midi. To be clear I want to be able to change programs and banks within the prophet without changing program banks on the other synths I have connected. I have already tried disabling ParamXmit by setting it to "OFF" but this does not stop sending the program change data. does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks.
From what you describe as encountering, it sounds as though REAKTOR from Ableton Live is responding to program change messages sent to it by the Prophet 6 when the Prophet 6's programs are changed. There is no ability to disable the transmission of program change messages on the Prophet 6 itself.

In this case, I would suggest that you filter the Program Change messages from the MIDI stream in your DAW or using an external application. Alternately, you can make sure to disable the MIDI input from the Prophet 6 running to the plug in when you are changing programs on the Prophet 6.

We recommend the following free standalone application for basic MIDI filtering use:

http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html

With the application open, please load the attached preset for use with the application. Select the MIDI IN item from the right hand side of the screen and set its input as the MIDI IN from your audio interface. Select the MIDI OUT item from the right hand side of the screen set its input as MIDIPIPE output.

Next, configure Ableton to accept MIDI data from MIDIPipe's virtual port and set the MIDI input of the plugin to the MIDIPipe output port.

Thank you,

Carson
Dave Smith Instruments
BM