OB6 / Prophet 6 envelopes comparison

OB6 / Prophet 6 envelopes comparison
« on: February 05, 2017, 01:44:30 AM »
Hi dear DSI synth owners,

I have both OB6 & Prophet 6 at home at the moment, and I am making a front to front comparison for every category of sounds. I will soon make a vidéo (in french, sorry...) to illustrate what can be done on both synths and what can't.

Among all difference, I have the feeling that Prophet 6 envelopes are a little different, it seems that their attack are a bit sharper, but this is not obvious. My feeling is the this feeling is more "filter /VCA response related" that the envelope itself.

Could someone confirm me that both P6 & OB6 share the same digital envelope, from a hardware point of vue? If so, are they calibrated the same way?

Thanks you!
My soundbanks for OB6 & Prophet 6: www.barbandco.com

autoy

Re: OB6 / Prophet 6 envelopes comparison
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 03:52:50 PM »
Hi dear DSI synth owners,

I have both OB6 & Prophet 6 at home at the moment, and I am making a front to front comparison for every category of sounds. I will soon make a vidéo (in french, sorry...) to illustrate what can be done on both synths and what can't.

Among all difference, I have the feeling that Prophet 6 envelopes are a little different, it seems that their attack are a bit sharper, but this is not obvious. My feeling is the this feeling is more "filter /VCA response related" that the envelope itself.

Could someone confirm me that both P6 & OB6 share the same digital envelope, from a hardware point of vue? If so, are they calibrated the same way?

Thanks you!

No, they're not the same envelope response curve. Envelopes on the OB-6 are tweaked to match a typical classic Oberheim response, as commented by Dave Smith himself at NAMM last year when it was released. I had the chance to comparte it to a vintage OB-8 and found this is indeed the case. Very similar responses in both.