We need a great Pro 2 editor & librarian

Re: We need a great Pro 2 editor & librarian
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 09:56:57 AM »
That looks great! Nice one for putting in all the time and effort.

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 10:38:05 AM »
So, just a bit patience. The most important is that I don't see any blocking issue as I got with the Sub37  :)

This is looking great so far!

sofine

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 11:23:42 AM »
Wow, fantastic effort!

Thank you.

I have the Soundtower editor, and I find it a little clunky to use - the UI / UX is OK, not great.

Oh, I noticed a typo in your "envelopes" tab!

Cheers,

Simon

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2016, 03:24:09 AM »
super excited! great work, sir!

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 05:28:13 AM »
Great job!! Looking awesome!

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 12:42:06 PM »
Looks great! Really looking forward to this one.

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 03:15:10 PM »
Honestly can't wait. I mean, it's an easy-to-use synth but the ability to route the mod matrix using a GUI will be superb.

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 12:58:04 AM »
Thx to all for your encouragements!
To be honest it is quite a work due to the number of parameters and buttons...

@binman_uk: here is a screenshot of the Modulations and LFOs tab. Quite packed. Let me know your remarks. I wanted to add some Modulation number or LFO number but not sure I can do it without enlarging the panel. I can do that without any problem in fact; the issue will come for people with a too small screen - are there still?.
In height I cannot extend more (I see this on my laptop, I reached almost max) - I had to extend it to increase the top LCD by one line.
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2016, 02:41:01 AM »
That looks good.
To be honest I'd rather have a spacious layout than a cramped one - if it needs to be bigger then personally I think that's the way to go. I imagine most people are running at least 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 these days (on desktop PCs at least).

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2016, 08:56:41 AM »
One more question, goodweather: I'm not sure whether I missed anything, but is this editor going to be cross-platform?

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2016, 01:22:21 PM »
One more question, goodweather: I'm not sure whether I missed anything, but is this editor going to be cross-platform?

Well, it is a Ctrlr panel and in fact a large xml file. Ctrlr is available on Mac and on PC in standalone and in VST.
As soon as I'll get something decent, I'll share the panel and anyone will be able to use/test it and send me feedback.
I'm using a PC and Ctrlr standalone but other people could test it on a Mac.
When running OK standalone, I'll try the AU/VST version so we can have it inside our DAW.
Theoretically it should rock, let see how it will turn out  ;)
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2016, 01:24:01 PM »
Well, it is a Ctrlr panel and in fact a large xml file. Ctrlr is available on Mac and on PC in standalone and in VST.
As soon as I'll get something decent, I'll share the panel and anyone will be able to use/test it and send me feedback.
When running OK standalone, I'll try the AU/VST version so we can have it inside our DAW.

Okay, count me in as a prospective beta tester for Macs.

Shaw

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2016, 01:58:19 PM »

I could also test it on Mac for you.

Cheers!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2016, 05:31:14 PM »
happy to be a  MAC tester!

SepticUnderground

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2016, 12:22:47 AM »
I use the CTRL.org already for my voyager, works great.
The Soundtower stuff is well....meh

DSI should compensate you for the effort. I am sure a whole lot of ppl appreciate a CTRL editor version for all DSI synths.
I would like one for my P6/P12 and Pro2 plz :)

I will test also for you if you need more testers.
OSX10.9.5 nMPro 32GB hexacore.

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2016, 04:47:24 AM »
I use the CTRL.org already for my voyager, works great.
The Soundtower stuff is well....meh

DSI should compensate you for the effort. I am sure a whole lot of ppl appreciate a CTRL editor version for all DSI synths.
I would like one for my P6/P12 and Pro2 plz :)

I will test also for you if you need more testers.
OSX10.9.5 nMPro 32GB hexacore.

Well, I'm not doing this for money, just for pleasure, learn something and getting something as I want (and hoping other people will appreciate it as well...)
About DSI, they are great in support but didn't give me the sysex specs. I had to find them myself. However, they have a neat implementation and it was easy. Anyway, it took me several hours to cover all params and I could have spent that time doing something else.
Doing this for the Pro2 but I looked at the P12 manual and saw it is really close to the Pro2.
I'm sure I could adapt the Pro2 editor for P12 If I could get a P12 for a while (but that is another story...).

SepticUnderground

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2016, 11:38:32 PM »
Well it is not that I meant DSI should give you lots of money, but some merchandise of some sort, like stickers , or t-shirts or that kindof stuff. I really think alot of ppl will love a ctrl version of the DSI editors, soundtower is just too buggy and not up to date with latest OS releases etc.

SepticUnderground

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2016, 11:40:25 PM »
That looks good.
To be honest I'd rather have a spacious layout than a cramped one - if it needs to be bigger then personally I think that's the way to go. I imagine most people are running at least 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 these days (on desktop PCs at least).

Yeah, make it a large one. 1920x1080+ resolutions plz.

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2016, 12:07:04 PM »
Hi guys, some news and some question...

Status of the work: still very good progress (working on it 1 to 2 hrs a day)
  • all params can be adjusted, they have their NRPN number and message handling
  • same for global parameters (bug found in 1.1.0 - maximum values cannot be reached by Midi input - but just got a message from DSI support that it has been corrected in 1.2.0.2)
  • I have put red numbers for the 16 modulations and for the 4 LFOs
  • Filter secondary screen is adjusted when you move the corresponding parameters
  • bi-directional behaviour has been tested and works nice (this is really cool in fact): you modify something on the panel and the screen of the Pro2 is edited. You modify the Pro2 and the panel jumps to the corresponding tab (I implemented this and you also have the option to disable it if you want) and you see the button turning or going on/off.
    For that one I will submit an enhancement request to DSI to have the screen switching to the panel of the edited param on Midi input (with possibility to disable if for example you would send a lot of info by Midi and don't want your Pro2 screen getting crazy)
  • all params have supporting manual text on the main screen and have values as on Pro2
  • you can load a single program and after selecting any parameter you see the current value and the saved value
  • librarian started. You can pick a source program and a destination program with the mouse and this is highlighted with colors. I can extract program names from bank dumps.

Started/Ongoing/Planned:
  • initialization of the panel (securing you get the panel where you left it, no more need to reload the bank disk files or the last program)
  • Osc split filter routing display (for the moment I have only non split display - it is the same but without the OSC split indication on the top)
  • save of a single program (I have already put all the logic on paper - there are several cases of load/save)
  • develop the different possible bank and program actions (visually + data handling)
  • use of imported font instead of relying on OS fonts. I analyzed the Pro2 font and found it was either Neo-Sans-Std or Neo-Sans-Std-Medium.

So, still some work but I hope to get this ready after summer vacations.
I'll provide you the panel for testing quite soon even if unfinished. I'll indicate what you should not test...

Question: what is the typical file path on a Mac (I'm speaking about syntax)?
In Windows : and \ are used as on D:\Users\Dominique\Documents\My Pro2\Factory banks\F5 Bank.syx

Cheers...Dominique

blewis

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2016, 07:23:50 PM »
Mac OS is built on UNIX so the file separator is "/"